main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rate The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by chris hayes, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Rate the Last Jedi in the choices below

Poll closed Jan 13, 2018.
  1. 5/5 Absolutely loved it

30.6%
  2. 4/5 Solid a good addition to the saga

18.8%
  3. 3/5 It was ok , worthy but flawed

11.8%
  4. 2/5 Some eye candy but felt underwelmed

16.2%
  5. 1/5 Meh Dissapointed

10.0%
  6. 0/5 The worst Star Wars movie ever , down with the Jar Jar doo doo

13.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yep I agree only Mark's acting was top and this despite having a crap script. I cannot blame Daisy's acting and that Rey felt superficial, because Rian was not interested in her character. he was only invested in poor Kylo. Also John gave his best despite that everything with Finn was filler material or for comedy relief.

2. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    I voted 0/5 because currently it is my least favourite Star Wars film.

...but I am prepared to hang on to a slither of hope that IX could make things right. Too much seems so wrong in this film - they couldn't possibly get things this wrong by accident, there has to be some misdirection in there. I can't believe Snoke is dead - that wasn't really him. Somehow. The Canto Bight broom boy stuff will all make sense and be genius. Somehow. R2-D2 won't really have been demoted from saga hero to nostalgic wallpaper. Somehow. There will be more to Rey's origins than we have been told - the forceback at Maz's place will make sense. Somehow. Leia being unconcious but able to Force herslef through space, but not able to clear the stones at the back of the cave on Crait, will be explained. Somehow. The whole spark for this trilogy - Ben Solo turning on Luke - will be explained to be more than just a momentary lapse of judgement by Luke ( I mean, if you were schooling your nephew, and you started to worry about the path he was on, would you like... call his Mom and initiate a family intervention, or would you just creep up on him in his sleep with a lightsabre?). Somehow.

3. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    It's a boyhood dream to see Luke Skywalker back on the big screen , I thought this was never ever going to happen from what GL said in 2005 ,

I rate TLJ 5/5 based on seeing Luke Skywalker & Princess Leia on screen once again - the rest is a bonus .

Strongbow likes this.
  4. choccy

choccy Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 18, 2004
    Gave it a 3 only for Luke and Leia's parts otherwise it would have been a 2.

The writing and script was not where it should have been and RJ made a finale to a trilogy in the second act.

5. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    5 out of 5 alongside. Third behind Empire and A New Hope. It’s the art house Star Wars movie I have hoped for a long time. I enjoy every story plot. I love the dimension added to Luke. I think the yin yang of Rey and Kylo Ren is exactly where the saga needed to explore next within Space Opera. The battle with the guards is stunning. I loved the incredibly moving ending Luke receives. Great aliens. Fantastic new worlds. Some of the best dialogue of the entire saga. Probably the best acting in all of the saga including a career best performance from Hamill. Visual comedic relief that should hold up. New dimensions added to each character while being tested and challenged both physically and psychologically. It’s up there with the best of Star Wars and is probably the best action adventure since Return of the King or The Dark knight. It’s one we will enjoy for the rest of our lives.

Kerlosh, Tho Yor, Gonk Droid and 7 others like this.
  6. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Duplicate post.

I also love how Johnson played with expectations and bent the rules of what diehard fans think has to happen in Star Wars and a second film. Killing Snoke. Turning Luke into more than just a whiny one-note angel. It’s right up there with Empire. Most people with taste and a ton of storytelling knowledge and film backgrounds all agree on that point.

It’s really the card trading types who want an out of 10 score for every Force user’s various powers on record and who somehow think that dark times 30+ years after happiness means winning a war didn’t matter. I guess these same people aren’t familiar with Earth’s history on gaps between Wars.

Kennedy has saved Star Wars and given us the best content since the 1980s. I’m very greatful for this new Lucasfilm group. Can’t wait for Johnson’s own trilogy.

7. DNateos

DNateos Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 21, 2012
    How I rate it?

Ryan Johnson: "Im going to give you guys my fresh view of Star Wars and bend all the rules. Why? Because I have no idea what i´ll be doing and this way it will seem legit"

Btw, I hope that Harry Potter and the Fantastic Beasts show up in the next episode. I think I saw some of their cousins in this one.

What a mess. Except from some excepcional scenes, no heart, no soul. I didnt loved TFA but it was much better put together than this one even if it seemed a rehash. Actually, thinking of it, it´s a masterpiece compared to this. It felt like I was watching a parody of Star Wars. Too many over the top scenes with little to no overall coherence. Characters speaking in cool-sounding one-liners instead of dialogue of substance.

Oh and dont praise him for taking risks. I do not care when its just plain stupid. Really a flying Leia on space?? I could be here forever with the amount of absurdity in this film just for the sake of "taking risks".

8. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Some of the inprovements I like about it over Empire (which is a masterpiece):

1) The First Order is on their tail which makes sense over the Empire at its peak being unable to bribe or torture into to locate a rebel base as big as Hoth’s, relying solely on probe droids.

2) Poe being unable to stop fighting seems more realistic than Luke heading out in a blizzard to go check out an asteroid.

3) Better politics and crew dynamics than what we see of the base on Hoth on screen.

4) Better dialogue explaining why the villains can’t do certain things. Simply losing the Falcon in an asteroid field and not assuming they might be hiding in that asteroid field?

5) Rey is sent to Ahch-To in the hopes of bringing Luke back to change the war which seems more logical than Obi-Wan telling Luke to randomly abandon the war his friends are fighting to take a crash course. Rey’s crash course comes from her wanting to get something out of the journey and because she hopes it will snap Luke out of his funk.

6) Tie on the training and Yoda magic on both planets.

7) Figuring out a key weakness in your enemy and getting a code breaker to help you exploit it is not uncommon in war. Canto Bite is more fun and adventurous than Cloud City’s Jetsons aesthetic. Having a police force serve as antagonists here seems more logical than Vader personally cutting a deal with Han’s best friend who then decides maybe selling out all of these people wasn’t such a good idea and who then completely betrays the Empire randomly, putting everything he valued at risk. Don’t Join being a true opportunist just seems more believable.

8) Han being put into carbonite to test it out and being out of the film is probably worse than Leia going into the vaccuum of space and missing a key portion of the film but they’re comparable.

9) Luke arriving right on time to face Vader and get whooped, lose his arm and learn he’s his dad is a highlight. So, too, IMO is Luke saying his final goodbye to his sister, and becoming one with the Force in a way never seen before. People forget Luke nearly committed suicide when he heard the news of his father. Jumping down a shaft was ridiculous.

10) Both sagas explore telepathy but TLJ utilizes it to develop character and chemistry and the yin and yang sexual chemistry of its two leads.

General thoughts:

* Falthiers and Foxes over Tauntauns.
    * Canto Bite over cloud city for visuals.
    * Darkside cave stuff similar value. Luke’s face inside Vader’s foreshadows a little much.
    * Ahch-To setting and culture over Dagaboh. Just better conceptualized with more things to see.
    * The Last Jedi has better acting including Hammil’s best.
    * The Last Jedi has better laughs.
    * The Last Jedi has legitimate tear-jerking moments.
    * The Last Jedi has deep philosophical questions.
    * Poe and his mutiny is better handled than Lando’s to Vader.
    * The mine sequence is better than any aerial scene in Empire.
    * The Praetorian Guard battle is up there with any combat ever in Star Wars.
    * The shocking multitasking death of Snoke catches everyone off guard in a Game of Thrones type of way who didn’t spoil it. As does the offer from Kylo Ren to Rey to join him to build something new.

Empire gets the edge because of the greatest plot twist change in the history of film but The Last Jedi ranks favorably with the Saga’s best otherwise and that’s mind-boggling to consider. Critics, who watch everything from arthouse to Blockbusters, have thought similarly and aren’t going to let head cannon or old EU preferences or their own bias of how Luke must be to sway them. Neither will I.

9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I really don’t know where to rank TLJ in the saga.

lookameatbag likes this.
  10. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
  11. Jango--John

Jango--John Jedi Master star 3

Jan 17, 2005
    1 out of 5

It's nice to see I'm not the only one who disliked the film. Apparently, the Star Wars universe is now equivalent to the Marvel universe.

Aside from the obvious, the increased cuss words and crude humor really felt out of place in a Star Wars film. Disappointed, to say the least.

12. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    5/5

Some problems, and some moments I didn't like, but overall I have no major complaints. I guess some people are disappointed because it wasn't what they wanted, but looking at the film for what it is and not for its failure to match my personal fantasy, I think it's masterful. I loved the dynamic between Luke, Rey, and Kylo. I also liked the new characters- Finn and Rose's adventure felt a bit like an unnecessary side-quest, but I enjoyed those scenes and Rose as a character.

This movie had so many stunning fight scenes! Loved the opening space battle and the fight with the Praetorian Guards. Also loved the cinematography, especially on Crait and the Ahch-To.

Most importantly, I love how this movie "gets" what the Force is all about. Luke is right- it's not about moving rocks, and this film shows that again and again. They could have had Luke just blow away the First Order Walkers with his super force powers, but instead of just going for mindless popcorn coolness, they did something more meaningful. And the seen with Yoda- just great.

Wildcatbarry and Gonk Droid like this.
  13. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    4/5
    Great movie,have some problems, that i will explain in another topic here, but wow, what a movie.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  14. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Increased cursing? Didn't notice myself. Same with the supposed crude humor. This film has nothing on the prequels in that regard.

Dewback and Strongbow like this.
  15. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
  16. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    None of your descriptions for the scores represent how I feel about this movie, so I guess I'll have to give it a -1/10. This movie is the "icky icky goo" Jar Jar stepped in.

17. AussieRebel

AussieRebel Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 2, 2005
    5/5 - A thoroughly transcendent filmgoing experience for me at any rate. I felt Luke's journey was given a fitting conclusion with the final binary sunset as he rediscovers his purpose in a galaxy that, like ours, often seems bewildering or amoral. A beautiful film.

Ricardo Funes and DarthAlgar like this.
  18. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    I give them 2 points...

1 point for that awesome Teaser Poster

and another for Mark giving his all into the pieces that were left of the Luke Skywalker Character.

My fears were confirmed....This ST just aint for me.

19. TimeZone

TimeZone Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 29, 2015
    1/5. God awful movie. The First Order, Snoke, Kylo are all jokes. Rey is extremely overpowered, and Luke had a terrible death. Thank god for Poe or I would have voted this a 0/5. Not as bad as Episode 2, but still an awful movie.

EDIT: Phasma is a nerd too, I forgot her.

-LordSkywalker- and DNateos like this.
  20. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I can not rate it at this time. I need to rewatch this thing; I'm too conflicted to judge it properly. A decent amount of my issues are rooted in what I know are my own over-hyped and over-developed expectations. But at the same time, I do feel that some of my complaints are significant enough to be validated in time, but I can't be the judge of that right now. I can philosophically understand how Rey's parentage is ultimately a non-factor in who she is, and I will objectively defend the cave sequence for its way of making that point, even while another part of me feels compelled to argue against that choice. On the other hand, I really do feel the bulk of Finn, Poe, and Rose's scenes before Crait are ultimately filler that should have been handled better, even though I'll confess to liking some aspects a lot, like BDT's great work in making an ultimately insignificant character entertaining.

I feel like I'm going to need my buddy's opinions and ideas to bounce off some of my arguments for. I do feel segments of this film are excellent. But I am right now disappointed.

21. Jango--John

Jango--John Jedi Master star 3

Jan 17, 2005

I guess I'm just not used to hearing "bastard" and "big ass" in a Star Wars film. Felt out of place to me.

TOASTEROVEN and The Exogorth like this.
  22. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I'm really trying to process The Last Jedi. So many unexpected twists and a completely original storyline.

I don't know. Of course I enjoyed, but not as much as The Force Awakens. It felt unfamiliar in terms of Star Wars a bit.

But I need to see it again.

23. OriForce

OriForce Jedi Padawan

Dec 20, 2015
    My score of TLJ
    1) 3.5/5 as a stand-alone adventure action space opera if viewed in isolation
    2) 3/5 as a sequel in a trilogy (so much continuity problems with TFA, and leaving no eagerness to watch next episode)
    3) 2 -2.5/5 as episode VIII in Star Wars

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    5/5 just blew me away! All those unexpected turns will definitely have me rewatching several times. It is definitely the best movie I have seen in a year

25. prlrocks

prlrocks Jedi Master star 2

Jun 15, 2009
    I went with 2... there were a lot of issues with this movie, but there were also scenes I truly deeply loved (the Luke and Leia scene might be my fav).

26. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I don't think the story was great, even for a long movie some of it was rushed. Felt like we would see more of Luke or should have during the middle act. Felt like Rey left too early literally this time as opposed to Luke leaving Yoda in Empire.

My mind is all over the place like TFA was. I think it will get around an 8/10 for me. I didn't mind RJ style at all. But I felt like JJ should have wrote this script himself. Call TFA a copy all you want, but that man can write!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.