main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rate The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by chris hayes, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Rate the Last Jedi in the choices below

Poll closed Jan 13, 2018.
  1. 5/5 Absolutely loved it

30.6%
  2. 4/5 Solid a good addition to the saga

18.8%
  3. 3/5 It was ok , worthy but flawed

11.8%
  4. 2/5 Some eye candy but felt underwelmed

16.2%
  5. 1/5 Meh Dissapointed

10.0%
  6. 0/5 The worst Star Wars movie ever , down with the Jar Jar doo doo

13.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    TFA original environments
    Jakku? Nope, it's Tatooine 2
    Takodana? Nope, it's Naboo 2
    D'Qar? Nope, it's Naboo 3 (!)
    Starkiller Base? Nope, it's the love child of Hoth, Endor, and the Death Stars
    Ach-To? Nope, it's Kamino 2

TLJ original environments
    Canto Bight? Yes. Luxury world
    Crait? Yes. Salted Mars

Winner: The Last Jedi

Not sure why any of this is important, but since we're having locale contests, I thought I'd join in the fun

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Nate787, ChillCaladbolg and Satipo like this.
  2. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Sure. I just think RO and TFA easily feel broader yet more focused (a simpler story) than TLJ ever does.

Lt. Hija, Blue 5 and Demsa Aztor like this.
  3. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    [accidental post]

4. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    I think Ach-To really is shared between the two. Yeah, it technically was featured first in TFA, but we didn't really see much of it. TLJ is the one that gave it personality.

ChillCaladbolg and Satipo like this.
  5. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I like the TFA planets, but mainly because they evoke so much of what I love about the OT, and they could have been more distinct. TLJ may have less, but I prefer the world building there. Same with R1.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This thread has a very simple purpose. To give your rating and why. That's it. If it's just going to become another review thread then perhaps it's time to close it up.

7. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I accept the poor writing of the bad movie as a thing that happened, sure.

8. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Yeah but there was supposed to be time between those 2 films, there is literally NO TIME between these 2 films.

Also way to go all social justice warrior on this...

9. Darth Vain

Darth Vain Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2016
    I agree, except for the bit about closing the thread. Maybe a 'see warning on page XX' - could help save the thread.[face_worried]

10. Jose Kropp

Jose Kropp Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2018
    I loved TLJ!! Especially the music (best soundtrack yet in my opinion). Check out this music video I made that mixes the Darth Vader and Kylo Ren themes and shows their softer sides!

Dark Side Suite:

Christopher Blair likes this.
  11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I don’t know, but it really seems that a lot of people are missing the fact that TFA and TLJ take place over a matter of days. Literally. I really think more people need to remember that, because the timeframe plays a huge role here. A lot of criticisms I’ve seen seem to talk of the two films as though they are set a few years apart, and thus, it makes the points they are trying to make appear more valid. Yet when you remember that the two films literally take place over three or four days a lot of the time those very same criticisms are rendered void.

12. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    And some of them render valid, such as Luke's "feel" changing from the end of TFA to the beginning of TLJ, and porgs infiltrating the entire island that weren't there in TFA.

The fact that the events all happened within days demands even more that these two movies needed to be incredibly well-connected and flow together well. And I think they fell a little short of what was expected of them. Not terribly, but noticeable.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  13. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    You weren't born yesterday. We know the movie starts after the last one. But in real life that was almost 3 years ago. It's not social justice to point out the absurdity of why this was even questioned or even pointed out. I mean, if she had a robotic eyeball or something that wasn't fleshed out in the story, sure, both otherwise? Pretty daft

14. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Can we perhaps move on from such superficial and demeaning comments as "what happened to her face"? For everyone's sake?

Pete Ren and Mostly Handless like this.
  15. Asajj Ventress

Asajj Ventress Jedi Padawan

Jan 3, 2018
    I'm not sure I'm a fan of TLJ.

I liked Rey a lot and how they treated Leia (sad we're apparently not getting an on-screen "goodbye" to Carrie), but I loathed everything to do with Kylo and his arc (I could go on and on about my hate for his character because while it has the opportunity to be self-aware and interesting, the writer of this particular film viewed Kylo with obvious affection and forced an abusive romance subplot), and a lot of the writing just seemed like... "look! I'm so subversive!" When we've seen it all before, done better. (the whole revelation that the "Rebels buy weapons so they're bad too!" message fell flat on my ears: the Rebels, who have been shown to be fighting for the oppressed in society, bought weapons to protect themselves from the evil, genocidal empire? The horror! They're irredeemable! ... not... we've seen it before, written better.) A lot of my hopes for the film fell short, story-wise - it seemed to rely a lot on shock factor and "heroic, noble actions are foolish" which, again, we've seen before, executed better. Also... Luke... a lot of missed opportunities.

Not to get on my soapbox, but it's worth mentioning in my opinon... I'm very, very disappointed they still shy away from any kind of gay representation in the Star Wars universe. I guess we're still on the old "magic space warriors are realistic but a gay person? In my galaxy? No way!" idea. We have forced romances, so why is this such a stretch? Don't get me wrong I think Rose and Finn are cute, but it absolutely seems like a direct response to fan fervor for FinnPoe... Disney, or Kathleen Kennedy, or someone paired Finn and Rose up to put these rumors to sleep for good. (still holding out we show Poe with a male love interest, but... it's Disney. and Lucasfilm. I don't have much hope.) What this would mean to gay fans, gay kids, and gay people in general -- I don't think I need to explain the impact this would have if a franchise like Star Wars included any kind of representation. And yeah, this has to do with how I feel about the movie overall, especially if they're trying to force Poe and Rey (which there are rumors of as well).

I appreciate the diversity among the lead actors and supporting cast; the casting isn't the problem - though, on a (kind of?) related note, as a fan of SW's alien races, I am profoundly disappointed I haven't seen anything resembling an iconic alien race (no twi'leks, togrutas, zabraks -- they seem to be exclusive to other media now?) -- I get the Empire is human supremacist, but all the slaves depicted were...human, which the Empire has been known to do obviously, and humans are enslaved in the galaxy, but aren't races like twi'lek and togruta enslaved disproportionately? And the Empire views aliens as scum and no better than slaves? A missed opportunity for a poignant metaphor that I guess the writer didn't trust himself to handle. And yeah, I understand the makeup is probably impractical, but for a couple shots of these characters to add to their cohesive world building? The majority of background characters seem to be just humans with weird makeup and hair.

Story inconsistencies and a failure to do anything new or groundbreaking makes me rate it a 2/5. I enjoyed the movie but left with a bad feeling about the direction of this trilogy.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  16. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    I really feel you on this. I think it is coming, though. I think they will introduce gay and lesbian characters in a way that doesn't scream token or one-off. It's time and I feel confident it will happen. But so far the focus has certainly lingered on being more inclusive in regards to women and having a blend of ethnicity's interact. But the originals and prequels covered that pretty well and threw in tons of interesting aliens to boot. This is somewhere I think they should pay attention to as well. They seem afraid to populate the scenes very much. When you pan across Coruscant the first time, it's near impossible to count all the vehicles, buildings, happenings and people in those scenes. Mos Espa was teeming with life in EP 1. The sets are much smaller now (with the exception of Rogue One-that was spot on). There seems to be a fear of making the galaxy feel populated in these new films. I was more than a little mystified at them showing a snippet of the New Republic before slagging it all from existence. Jakku was less populated than a single Mos Eisley scene, and the music in the cantinas is pretty boring. While I am interested in what TLJ brought to the table, it didn't bring enough. I want to see it all through, but there is no way I'm going to ever rack up the repeated viewings of these films the way I've watched 1-6 over the years.

Lucas was brilliant in his endless reserves of imagination. You can combine all the hot sci fi talent in Hollywood and throw them on these new films, but you won't get an ounce of what he would have brought to the mix. I think RJ tried to inject a bit of the untried and experimental into the film, which makes it jarring in respect to the tried and true "formula" film that JJ made. It will be interesting to see if IX can salvage a meaningful union between the two movies and present something that will be as long remembered as the existing saga is.

Asajj Ventress likes this.
  17. Tabbie

Tabbie Jedi Padawan

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm going with 5/5, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's one of those movies you need to see more than once to fully understand. My only real complaint with the film is it didn't feel like a middle saga movie. I felt like some events should've been left for IX.

Mostly Handless and Satipo like this.
  18. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Great to see this poll still holding a 60% + for people voting 3/5 upwards......

19. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    According to Ewan McGregor it was 5/5 :

"I love the new one. I saw it over Christmas, it was really, really beautiful.”

Mostly Handless likes this.
  20. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    chris hayes likes this.
  21. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    4/5, though probably closer to a 4.5/5. Definitely not a perfect 5/5 as there are enough detracting factors such as the excessive humor.

BB-8 My Homework likes this.
  22. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    I hosted a BBQ yesterday & one of my long term friends came up to me & without prompting said :

I loved the new Star Wars movie seen it twice already - I give it 9/10 ,

He knew I was a Star Wars fan & we had a great discussion reflecting on just how good TLJ was - I thought his views were a great endorsement for it .

redxavier likes this.
  23. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I would love to see a new poll, just to get a new view of the scores after several viewings.

We have one thread here about people who changed their minds.

24. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    I GIVE THIS A RATING OF FIVE STARS BECAUSE THERE ISNT AN ELEVEN!!!!! WOOHOO!!!

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    This poll is showing very different results then I am hearing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.