main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rate The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by chris hayes, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Rate the Last Jedi in the choices below

Poll closed Jan 13, 2018.
  1. 5/5 Absolutely loved it

30.6%
  2. 4/5 Solid a good addition to the saga

18.8%
  3. 3/5 It was ok , worthy but flawed

11.8%
  4. 2/5 Some eye candy but felt underwelmed

16.2%
  5. 1/5 Meh Dissapointed

10.0%
  6. 0/5 The worst Star Wars movie ever , down with the Jar Jar doo doo

13.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    This is a fantastic film. It bowled me over. Such vision from Rian, and hugely daring. Certainly the bravest, and riskiest Star Wars movie since ESB. This is the future.

2. frail47

frail47 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    4/5. Take out Leia flying through space and some of the Canto Bight stuff and it'd be 5/5 for me.

Gonk Droid and Ricardo Funes like this.
  3. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Four out of five stars for me: but for one or two missteps, marvelous entertainment. The best thing about it is it injects a great deal of uncertainty into the story. Just a few weeks ago I thought I had worked out how everything was going to unfold. Now, I'm not certain about anything. For example, is what we found out about Rey really the truth? I wouldn't put it past Kylo to use deception to attain his ends. And is this really the last we'll see of Luke Skywalker? Since J.J. Abrams praised Rian's script, I think it's a safe bet that we will see more of the same in the next installment.

4. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Four out of five stars for me: but for one or two missteps, marvelous entertainment. The best thing about it is it injects a great deal of uncertainty into the story. Just a few weeks ago I thought I had worked out how everything was going to unfold. Now, I'm not certain about anything. For example, is what we found out about Rey really the truth? I wouldn't put it past Kylo to use deception to attain his ends. And is this really the last we'll see of Luke Skywalker? Since J.J. Abrams praised Rian's script, I think it's a safe bet that we will see more of the same in the next installment.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  5. JamieH

JamieH Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    Yeah I'm another 2.5 rounded down to 2. IMO the movie had one really great scene and a bunch of really bad stuff. The entire film felt like an effort in "ok, what do we do so THIS character has something to do now?" instead of trying to tell a story that was interesting at all.

If not for Jar-Jar Binks, Rose would easily be the worst character in Star Wars history. Even Jake Lloyd was less annoying.

I swear Phasma is kept in a holding tank and brought out strictly when Finn needs someone to fight. Otherwise she is a completely worthless character, which is unbelievably stupid.

Didn't really like how Luke was handled overall.

About the only character that was handled well on the whole IMO was Kylo. It was like the entire movie was centered around the fact that after TFA everyone thought he was weak and ineffective, so this movie had to try and fix that so that Disney could market him more effectively.

All in all a disappointing movie that I will probably not watch again, even when it comes out on video.

6. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    What is utterly ridiculous is you thinking whatever episode you rank as the worst must be what everyone else ranks as the worst. Get over yourself. People can rate these movies in whatever order they like with or without your approval

DBPirate, ezekiel22x and DarthBane93 like this.
  7. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

Ah, glad to know a movie going outside your headcanon is the truth and anyone who can't see it is wrong.

8. The Original Sith

The Original Sith Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 12, 2017
    I gave it a solid 4. Perhaps my only real complaint is the Canto Bight scene. A little disappointed in Phasma. I believe she should have won the fight with Finn.

9. Ahsoka Blaster

Ahsoka Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2017
    I don't know why people dislike the Leia scene. It made me cry with joy and sadness! Leia was finally using the Force! Anyway, I gave this movie a 5/5 but my real score is 4.5/5. My main reason is messing the characters Luke and Kylo up. I'll repost my thoughts from the Luke thread because that's where most of my critique comes from:

Having finally seen the movie, I have to say that despite butchering Luke's character, I still enjoyed the movie, and I loved Mark Hamill and the way Luke was presented at the end. Something important people here should consider: Luke did not have a character arc in this film. That's one of the big defenses to what Rian's done. And it's mistaken. There is no character arc because the Luke in most of this film is not Luke Skywalker. Instead, it's some other character masquerading as Luke. So when Luke returns to his old self, this is simply a return of the character, not some growth and change in an arc. I just wanted to make this clear. Character arcs should be based in the reality of the character. If they are not, they are not a character arc. I hope I'm making sense here. I think it's important for people to consider that making a character act the complete opposite of themselves is not an "arc." But despite completely getting Luke wrong, I loved the ending, and I loved that Luke didn't need to fight to beat Kylo. That's the Luke I remember. And that was beautiful, and I admit I cried like a baby. :) Overall, my post will anger everyone probably because I love the movie despite it's complete misunderstanding of Luke. I give it 9.5 out of 10. One more thing -- I think the only reason they butchered Luke was to give Kylo an excuse for his behavior. I really hate that. Not just because it lacks imagination, but because it makes Kylo less of a powerful villain to say that he didn't completely make all his own choices. Still, this movie worked for me on most levels. Which is amazing considering how badly they messed two of the main characters up.

There are so many things to love in the film despite its huge flaws. One of those things is how the Force is now detached from bloodline, which I was never a fan of. Almost anyone can be a powerful Jedi. It doesn't have to be passed on by blood. I love that.

KSennia, chris hayes and IG_2000 like this.
  10. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    This is why we have professional movie reviewers.

Regular people just find too hard to let go their headcanon.

TLJ is a prime case where your headcanon will hurt your experience.

I am saying that because I had my headcanon and until I made peace with myself regarding that all my headcanon was shattered to pieces, I was in doubt about this movie.

Let go your headcanon, let go what do you WANT to happen to character A or B. Do not compare it to the story you invented in your mind, this does no good to you.

9/10 for me, a different 9/10 when compared to TFA, RotJ and RotS. All them are 9/10 for different reasons, which is part of how rich the Star Wars lore is.

11. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Professional critics are paid and don't want to lose their invites, swag bags, and after parties. There's a reason all Disney movies get high ratings. It's because they hold grudges. Ask the LA Times

12. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Two stars. Luke was terribly out of character but Mark was great. The basic plot of the movie was completely implausible. All the mess with Rey and Kylo was stupid. Luke even considering killing Ben is a Man of Steel level of character assassination. Killing Luke served no purpose and Kylo being fooled by the Force Projection was hard to swallow. Had it really been Luke there and he had owned Kylo like that and then escaped somehow, it would have been amazing. But what they did felt like a tease and a trick.

The good: Mark's performance, some of the scenes on the island were funny, I liked the look of Canto Blight, the DJ character was fun, and I still like Finn, Poe and I liked Rose. I thought Holdo looked amazing and was sad to see her go. And I absolutely love Billie Lourd.

MagnarTheGreat and T-R- like this.
  13. CakeThiefPro

CakeThiefPro Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 16, 2015
    The problem isn't head canon, it's the actual canon which portrays Luke as a competent, compassionate human being that consistently risks his life to save his friends and family regardless of the odds. All of which was completely shattered in this abomination of a film.

14. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    At least in the movie that I watched, Luke did use the Force to save the lives of everyone by creating a distraction and giving them time to escape.

If your movie did not had this part, oh boy, you missed the best part of it.

hermiona52 and redxavier like this.
  15. CakeThiefPro

CakeThiefPro Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 16, 2015
    Oh no! Did I miss Luke not fighting Kylo Ren? Damn, I think that really would have made up for the complete character assassination of one of my idols. At least he was able to save a handful of rebels by pretending to confront his fallen pupil. I guess that makes up for the death of five planets worth of people, fall of the republic and murder of Han Solo. It was also really great seeing an entire 2 minutes worth of screen time as he caught up with Leia, Chewbacca and R2-D2. If it had lasted a second longer I might have actually felt some emotion.

speckledroman, appleseed and T-R- like this.
  16. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    5/5 Absolutely loved it

17. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
  18. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I didn't write this but my lord it's so true !

So “Fans” hated “The Force Awakens” because it was “A New Hope” 2.0 and played it safe but those same people blast

for being different and taking risks?!
    What did you really want?
    The hypocrisy from hardcore fans is ridiculous.

was EPIC

19. AllIsAsTheForceWillsIt

AllIsAsTheForceWillsIt Jedi Padawan

Dec 17, 2016
    0/5. First movie I've walked out on since Freddie Got Fingered. I think RJ really took way too many liberties. When there were funny parts like Finn waking up for Chewie eating the porg I was still in shock from the idiotic scenes that preceded it. The whole intro space battle was just absolute garbage. Not only has gravity never been an issue on a ship but apparently you don't need any type of airlock as the bomber was able to get its cargo away. I made it as far as Benicio Del Toro's pathetic character then I left.

appleseed and Keycube like this.
  20. RexTano

RexTano Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2017
    So it's safe to discuss ANYTHING that was in TLJ here? I have some pretty strong reactions to having just seen it that I'd like to discuss, but still relatively new here so I wanted to make sure first.

21. burg2774

burg2774 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 1, 2008

Jedilight, you really summed up how I feel to. A second viewing an absolute necessity to help me sort out how I feel.

JediLight likes this.
  22. RexTano

RexTano Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2017
    Ok, I see from the comments that it appears to be safe to discuss specifics, so I'll jump the gun before anyone responds to my previous comment. Two well-known lines from the trailers (one of which wasn't really in the movie IIRC) can pretty much sum up my reaction. One, I know only one truth. It's time for Star Wars (or at least Rian Johnson's involvement with it) to end. And two, this did NOT go the way that I expected it to go--and not in a good way, either.

Easily the most craptacular SW episode I've seen, including the prequels (which are all masterpieces compared to this POS that was all over the place and, for all its record length, didn't really SAY much that needed to be said). I've got nothing against shaking things up a bit, but if you're going to go down that road, do it well, or don't do it at all--there is no try (I guess that's a third line). My god, what was he thinking--and what was Kennedy thinking by green-lighting it?

I gave is a 2/5 to be charitable, and many of the effects were amazing, and there were a few nice scenes. But it just didn't hold together, at all. It was like Star Wars meets The Matrix meets Guardians of the Galaxy. It didn't respect the franchise, characters or overall story arcs. Classic example of a still relatively new director trying to make his mark by massively overreaching and then spectacularly failing to hit the mark.

Plus, it feels like Disney has decided to keep the form of Star Wars but abandon its substance, the things that made it so special for so many, in order to appeal to modern fans, whom it apparently believes are idiots who don't know or care about what came before it and care only about special effects and very crude storytelling, having the attention span of gnats. They are killing the franchise in order to make maximal profit off it, and deserve to fail massively for it.

I mean, the Snoke battle scene, Luke's fate, that silly Leia through space scene, so much more than made no sense or just didn't work. This was some other movie pretending to be a SW movie. What a mess, a total mess. Ech. Unlike every other SW film, I have no burning desire to see it again any time soon. It's like the Indiana Jones sequels--why bother?

Also, turns out that the vast majority of speculations on what would happen in TLJ were both very wrong and very pointless. Yeah, Yoda was there, and...that's about it. Rey is no one's daughter, Snoke is a moron, the red guards could be cut down by the Karate Kid, no Kenobi, no Vader, no Han funeral, a bunch of random new characters who go nowhere. It's like nearly every speculation was besides the point. Who was Johnson trying to please here? Himself, it seems, and other "auteur" posers.

23. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    It felt so very right that Lukes journey continued along a spirtual quest. He was able to take the sum total of his life experiences, positive and negative, and use this information as a means to propel himself forward.
    As his true defeat of the Emperor was thu the love of his father and not his ability with a lightsaber, he was now able to meet the darkness of Kylo with a true balanced view of the Force.
    He both reignited the hope that had been all but lost and showed mercy to those who would have killed him and his friends without hesitation.
    Realizing his best opportunity to defeat evil he, as his Master before him had done, became a Force ghost, watching and waiting for the moment when his intervention would matter the most.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  24. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Honestly I say just the reverse, to me this film calls the credibility of a lot of professional reviewers into question, whether reactions have become sheep like and based on studio hype.

I mean some of the posting here is obviously negative of any non Lucas film and others might have been of any negative portrayal of Luke but still I didn't find the latter to be that well done in objective terms.

Much moreso than my "head cannon" I have certain expectations of SW when it comes to quality and tone which this film failed to live up to. Its definitely not without its merits as I think Kylo's character and Drivers performance are clearly turned around but overall it feels like a great big mess to me, partly because of an extremely negative legacy from TFA. It felt like it was constantly having to bend over backwards to makeup for questionable decisions in Abrams film and had inherited a cinematic style and disrespect for the original films characters that simply not did suit its content very well.

When compared to ESB(which it clearly does lift from significantly) I think this becomes incredibly clear, the sense of scale of the world created and the depth of Luke, Han and Leia's characters was a massive positive in that film that allowed it to play on expectations vastly more successfully. In this case really the only character with expectations to feed off of is Kylo and I think the hero's blandness serves to hamstring everything else. Everything that was said about Abrams and empty mystery boxes to me seems like it was proven to be true and again I think this ends up as a massibe negative for TLJ because those mysterys end up being so heavily linked into expectation.

25. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Saw it again tonight. Wow, I love this movie. It seems be pretty polarizing. Either love it or hate it. Fortunately, I love it.

26. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    At the moment, I'd give it a 4/5. Felt the humor was out of place at some moments and the Canto Bight section could have been shortened. Other than that, it was great in my book!

27. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    After only 1 viewing: 5/10 are my first impressions.

It really is a mixed bag. Im glad they took risks...Kylo killing Snoke was one that paid off - but the rest did not work for me. Tearing Luke down just to build him up again really isn't interesting or believable because he already had learned all of these lessons before - Yoda pretty much tells him that anyways.

I also think the movie was just filmed and editing poorly (not just about Luke stuff). There are great cinematic shots - but narratively and structurally the movie did not flow well. It was very disjointed and the story didn't move organically and the characters such as Poe, Finn, Rose, and some of what happens to Rey dont have much agency. It like RJ knew how he wanted the movie to end and then worked backwards just filling in the pieces.

I agree with alot of what people out there are saying - EP9 will be a big time jump. This movie pretty much ends the same way TFA did - Resistance crushed but they gave a shot in the arm to the FO. Instead of learning from Luke, Rey will now learn on her own via the Jedi texts. Nothing was accomplished story wise except removing Luke Skywalker from the saga. The time jump for Ep9 will now remove Leia. She will just die peacefully off screen.

Def Trooper and RexTano like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.