main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rate The Six George Lucas Films, Favorite to Least Favorite (poll added)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by kenobifan1999, Dec 29, 2012.

?

Which is your favourite Star Wars film?

1. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

26 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

22 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

147 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope

75 vote(s)
    12.4%
  5. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

245 vote(s)
    40.5%
  6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

90 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, big thanks to Alienware.

I'll go ahead and get the new poll up.

2. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    ANH
    TESB
    TPM
    AOTC
    ROTS
    ROTJ

3. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    1. SW
    2. ESB
    3. ROTJ
    4. ROTS
    5. AOTC
    6. TPM

4. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    1) Empire
    2) Revenge of Sith
    3) ANH
    4) ROTJ
    5) TPM
    6) AOTC
    **7) TFA **

Alienware likes this.
  5. Tython Dawn

Tython Dawn Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    1. Return of the Jedi
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    4. A New Hope
    5. The Phantom Menace
    6. Attack of the Clones

If I were to add TFA to that list, it would be tied with ESB.

Alienware likes this.
  6. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    1. The Empire Strikes Back - One of the greatest movies ever made
    2. A New Hope - The classic that started it all
    3. Return of the Jedi - This one gets overrated due to 4 and 5 being so good, but I also feel it makes up for the bad (Ewoks, etc) with some of the best scenes in the Saga (Endor Space battle, Luke/Vader/Palpatine, etc)
    4. Revenge of the Sith - This one gets overrated simply because it's widely considered "the good prequel". ROTS unfortunately has a lot of the same issues that the other prequels have. That being said, it is clearly the best of the prequels and does have some really good scenes and a fantastic score
    5. The Phantom Menace - I like some of the things they tried, but this movie did fail on a lot of levels. It still can be watchable from time to time and I don't consider it terrible
    6. Attack of the Clones - The only truly bad Star Wars movie. Some of the things (Obi-Wan's fake beard) are just lazy and embarrassing. This is the only one I can't really defend and find painful to watch. Much of the main plot doesn't even make sense. All that being said, I'd still probably give it at least a 4/10 and can watch it from time to time

DarthCricketer and Samuel Vimes like this.
  7. Adam Fisher

Adam Fisher Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2015
    1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. Return of the Jedi
    3. Revenge of The Sith
    4. A New Hope
    5. Phantom Menace
    6. PUKE ATOC

8. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    ROTS
    ESB
    TPM
    ANH
    AOTC

ROTJ

Darkslayer likes this.
  9. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    IV V (VII) II VI III I

10. Je'daii Ranger Jordan

Je'daii Ranger Jordan Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2016
    1.Revenge of the sith hands down
    2.Return of the Jedi
    3.Empire Strikes Back
    4.The Phantom Menace (solely because of darth maul and the final duel)
    5.A New Hope
    6.Clone Wars

11. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
  12. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    TESB with (deservedly) more than twice as many votes as any other film

13. JASONWHO1974

JASONWHO1974 Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    Ahh this is really simple:

1. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back - by far the best for obvious reasons.
    2. Episode IV: A New Hope - The classic that started it all.
    6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi - End to a classic Trilogy for by far the weakest of the best three.

5. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - By far the best of the bad bunch, but by no means perfect or in the league of the originals
    4. Episode II: Attack of the Clones - Appalling film, boring & the film that showed Lucus couldn't do romance & it also turned Yoda into a cartoon character.
    3. Episode I: The Phantom Menace - One of the worst films ever for obvious reasons, its a shame it had to be a Star Wars film.

14. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    1. ESB
    2. ROTJ
    3. ROTS
    4. ANH
    5. TPM
    6. AOTC

The first 4 are the best! Hard to decide their order. :D

15. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    1. The Phantom Menace
    2. Revenge of the Sith
    3. Attack of the Clones
    4. A New Hope
    5. The Empire Strikes Back
    6. Return of the Jedi

Darkslayer and Deliveranze like this.
  16. Poe loves Rey

Poe loves Rey Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2015
    Tbh, I don't think it's fair to compare the PT to the OT. When you already know what's going to happen to the main characters, it's already at a disadvantage. Apples and oranges, tbf. The PT never stood a chance from jump.

Nonetheless, I will rank em...

1.ESB. A film for the ages. Great score, conflict, visuals, world-building. Yoda's introduction was a classic screen moment. Filmmaking at its absolute best.

2. SW. Top notch, charming picture that changed the world. Right up there with ESB, I still clap at the DS's explosion (sans shockwave) after 100s of viewings. The end always makes me smile.

3. ROTJ. Great ending to the greatest trilogy of all time. Beakless Sarlacc, Yub-Nub, Sebastian Shaw, Lapti-Nek, all enjoyable. A fitting conclusion. Too bad it's no longer a conclusion.

4. ROTS. Order 66, clash of heroes, the pure evil of Sheev. Good film, but that CGI'd sky at the end ruined what could have been an epic ending.

5. AOTC. Padme's beauty knocks out even the strongest among us. No one compares to her.

6. TPM. Duel of the Fates sounds great.

TFA. So much potential but JJ ruined it trying to be PC. Little did he know his attempts at PCness actually insults the people he's trying to be a hero to.

17. Mace Windu is GOAT

Mace Windu is GOAT Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 13, 2016
  18. MauiMisfit

MauiMisfit Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    As it stands for me right now:
    1. Episode V: Empire Strikes Back
    2. Episode IV: A New Hope
    3. Episode VII: The Force Awakens
    4. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
    5. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
    6. Episode II: Attack of the Clones
    7. Episode I: The Phantom Menace
    Without anything to go on, it will be hard for VIII and IX don't push down the current 4-7.

19. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    ESB, ANH, TFA, ROTJ, TPM, ROTS, AOTC

20. Sith_Smuggler

Sith_Smuggler Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2016
    1) The one where Anakin tries out domestic abuse, plays with fire and gets burned. Mmm, toasty! Oh and the galaxy is plunged into darkness too, but whatever.

2) The one where Anakin mentally scars his son after cutting off his hand. Father of the year, folks.

3) The one where Anakin doesn't invite his teacher to his own wedding, the jerk! It's a guarantee that Anakin's honeymoon was not spent anywhere sandy.

4) The one where Anakin discovers he's unpopular in the galaxy and his son destroys his home. Anakin is not pleased.

5) The one where Anakin discovers girls! And becomes a Jedi, but that's secondary.

6) The one where Anakin's son pops in to visit him and the Emperor joins in the fun! Anakin gets burned again though. Ouch.

Darth Basin and Sunrider7 like this.
  21. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
  22. Stone Pilot

Stone Pilot Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2016
    1. ROTS - 9 (has the most iconic moments, very strong opening, insane sense of momentum and impact, the Darth Plagueis story and Mustafar duel are saga highlights)

2. TPM - 7.5 (Qui-gon is a fascinating lead, the adrenaline-soaked podrace is my favorite "ship" related sequence in the series, and Duel of the Fates in nigh untouchable in terms of synchronization of epic scoring with an equally epic and brilliantly choreographed fight scene in any piece of media I've seen. I also love the visuals for the Gungan city and Bongo sub journey, but Jar Jar, Anakin's accidental space victory, and pacing issues in the first half hold it back)

3. AOTC - 7.5 (My old favorite when it first came out, due largely to how enamored I was with the arena beasts, particularly the Acklay. Watching it now it doesn't really have any *really* high points (with a particularly disappointing showing re: lightsaber duels), but the globetrotting visuals and Obi-Wan's investigation always entertain. Even though the love story should demolish it's rating, the scenes are so-bad-it's-funny to the extent that to me they act as comedy moments to lighten the pacing)

4. ANH - 7 (I love archetypal hero's journey's, particularly the beginnings of the journey. Kenobi and Tarkin's performances are my favorites of the OT, the Binary sunset scene is deservedly iconic, as is the trench run, but I've always found both Han and Leia somewhat grating and the simplicity of the story gives it a certain ceiling for me)

5. ESB - 5 (Romances in any story are a slog for me, and since Han and Leia are already two of my least favorite characters in the saga, a good third of this film falls completely flat to me. Ironically, because the romance here is better acted than in AOTC, it's actually less enjoyable because it's unable to serve as comedy. Something about the Hoth opening always distracts me pacing-wise, but I love the atmosphere and revelations during Luke's training in Dagobah. I was also never a fan of Lando or Boba Fett (both were hard to take seriously when viewed with their entire performance in mind), so Cloud City was hit-or-miss. Luke and Vader's duel is an obvious high point, and I love the imagery of Luke hanging on the antennae at sunset, but by now the reveal is so ingrained in the culture that it removes me from experiencing it personally in a way (even though I saw this as a kid, I still sort of knew that Vader was somehow Luke's father).

6. ROTJ - 4 (If it wasn't for the Luke-Vader-Emperor scenes, I could honestly say I don't like this film. The opening with the droids in Jabba's palace is unnecessarily, dreadfully slow, Han's accidental defeat of Boba Fett is one of the most face-palm worthy moments of the saga, weakening both characters heavily, the space battle is redundant and overwrought, and though I don't hate the Ewoks, the whole forest battle often feels like a game of laser tag and bloopers that somehow snuck into the final cut. But the Emperor's ship climax is so bloody good that whenever I finish the movie it still feels like I just watched something legitimately epic. The lightsaber duel is the most impressive of the OT, and the Emperor's baiting and general presence gives the fight a unique psychological dimension, and that's not even mentioning the father-son-sister conflict and Luke's apparent danger of turning to the dark side.

23. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    the Empire Strikes Back
    a New Hope
    Return of the Jedi
    Attack of the Clones
    the Phantom Menace
    Revenge of the Sith

24. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    ESB
    RotS
    RotJ
    ANH

25. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. Star Wars. Or for that one JC member (Hopping_Han) that gets "irked" when he reads that, drokk it, Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. Revenge of the Sith. I was never tempted to buy the dvd for entertainment purposes, but eventually did for research, and this movie, particularly the Battle of Coruscant, has grown on me.
    5. Attack of the Clones. I really enjoyed it when I saw it in the cinema, but then a week later, watching the second Lord of the Rings film, I felt that one slow-motion explosion during the siege of Helms Deep, carried more action and drama than the whole of AOTC.
    6. The Phantom Menace. I still love the pod-race, and Darth Maul's lightsabre duel. Literally two scenes out of the whole movie.