main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rate the Star Wars films, TPM to TFA

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by anakinfansince1983 , Dec 18, 2015.

?

Which Star Wars film is your favorite?

1. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

19 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

20 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

103 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope

81 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Episode V: Empire Strikes Back

180 vote(s)
    37.1%
  6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

41 vote(s)
    8.5%
  7. Episode VII: The Force Awakens

41 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. Viper78

Viper78 Jedi Master star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    I voted for The Empire Strikes Back as my favourite film, only just beating A New Hope.

This is how I rate the films

1. TESB
    2. ANH
    3. ROTJ
    4. TFA
    5. ROTS
    6. AOTC
    7. TPM

2. RX-77

RX-77 Jedi Padawan

Jan 13, 2016
    1: TFA 9.5/10
    2: ROTS. 9/10
    3: ROTJ. 8.5/10
    4: ESB. 8/10
    5: ANH. 8/10
    6: TPM. 6.5/10
    7: AOTC. 6/10

3. Jedimaster_Darklight

Jedimaster_Darklight Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 22, 2005
    My list looks somewhat like this:

1. ROTJ
    2. ESB
    3. ANH
    4. ROTS
    5. TFA
    6. TPM
    7. AOTC

Thoughts and notes:
    • There's no denying the traditional fan favorite - ESB - is a great movie, but I personally enjoy ROTJ a bit more.
    • The original trilogy ranks at the top of the list for obvious reasons, but I also think that ANH could easily share it's spot with ROTS and TFA.
    • I have only watched TFA once, but I suspect it's current ranking is not going to change much in the future.
    • TPM and AOTC are not extremely bad SW-movies in my opinion, but they rank the lowest on my list because they can be skipped now and then.
    • I ranked AOTC above TPM in the past, but they could easily share a spot as well.

xezene and Alienware like this.
  4. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    1/TPM
    2/ROTS
    3/ANH
    4/AOTC
    5/ESB
    6/TFA
    7/ROTJ

5. JSJL2018

JSJL2018 Jedi Padawan

Sep 18, 2015
    1. Revenge of the Sith (5/5);
    2. The Empire Strikes Back (5/5);
    3. A New Hope (4.5/5);
    4. Return of the Jedi (4/5);
    5. The Phantom Menace (4/5);
    6. The Force Awakens (3.5/5);
    7. Attack of the Clones (3.5/5).

The Force Awakens is certainly fun to watch, but the story lacks originality.

Revenge of the Sith is unbeatable.

6. Sith_Smuggler

Sith_Smuggler Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2016
    Well, in case my signature wasn't clear enough:

1) Revenge of the Sith (10/10) I am never emotionally prepared for this movie. The absolute best SW film and my absolute favorite in my opinion. It's a completely great ride from start to finish and shows just how dark and tragic SW can be. The ending always destroys me. I watched it first as a hormonal teen girl and told myself I'd get over it. Over ten years later and it still wrecks me. MY EMOTIONS LIED!

2) Empire Strikes Back (10/10) The film that showed SW was more than just a fun adventure story; the movie that brought so much depth and scope to the SW universe.

3) Attack of the Clones (8/10) Still the most unique SW film. I really enjoy the mystery noir and Obi-Wan!

4) The Force Awakens (8/10) Nothing unique or new, but still enjoyable and fun. Characters won me over more than the plot which is pretty much ANH V. 2.0 (Might switch ranking with ANH once I watch again).

5) A New Hope (8/10) Classic fairy-tale SW. Fun, silly and totally wonderful.

6) The Phantom Menace (7/10) This was a disappointing start to two films I enjoy and gross Jar-Jar.

7) Return of the Jedi (7/10) This was a disappointing end to two films I enjoy and gross Ewoks.

7. Sith_Smuggler

Sith_Smuggler Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2016
    Says "no disrespect" then goes on to disrespect, nice...

Anyway, I know it's like, hard to believe, but like, just 'cause people like, have different opinions that like, differ vastly from yours does not mean they're like, trolling. Like, yeah.

8. chicago103

chicago103 Jedi Padawan

Nov 1, 2012
    1. VI Return Of The Jedi
    2. V The Empire Strikes Back
    3. IV A New Hope
    4. III Revenge Of The Sith
    5. VII The Force Awakens
    6. II Attack Of The Clones
    7. I The Phantom Menace

9. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    The reason so many people rate TESB number 1 is that it's the heart of the saga. ANH was a groundbreaking film, but as a standalone it was just a space adventure movie. TESB gave us the family drama that is Star Wars. TESB is where we learn about the force. TESB is the movie that really gave us Darth Vader. TESB is the movie that gave us Yoda. Other than ANH to some degree... .all of the other films are thematically centered on TESB (and one could argue that in retrospect ANH is as well).

10. Sean F

Sean F Jedi Knight

Dec 30, 2013
    1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. The Phantom Menace
    3. The Force Awakens
    4. A New Hope
    5. Return of Jedi
    6. Revenge of the Sith
    7. Attack of Clones

11. darthcubby

darthcubby Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2016
    Hi! New here! :)

My rankings of the saga:
    1) EMPIRE
    2) A NEW HOPE
    3) SITH
    4) AWAKENS
    5) JEDI
    6) PHANTOM
    7) CLONES

Legolas22 likes this.
  12. Legolas22

Legolas22 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 13, 2016
    Jedi Padawans for life Haha!!
    Anyways This is my list:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. Revenge of the Sith
    3. A New Hope
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. Attack of the Clones
    6. The Force Awakens
    7. The Phantom Menace

Mange and Darth Chocolate like this.
  13. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    1. ANH 5/5
    2. TESB 5/5
    3. ROTS 4.5/5
    4. ROTJ 4.5/5
    5. TFA 4/5
    6. TPM 4/5
    7. AOTC 3.5/5

14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Edit: nvm

15. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    ESB and RotS are in a league of their own and easily the best of the saga. RotJ and ANH are a close 3 and 4. I couldn't care less about the other three.

16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Interesting opinion. Thanks for sharing, I love seeing differing views like this :)

17. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    1. ESB
    2. ANH
    3. ROTJ
    4. TFA
    5. ROTS
    6. AOTC
    7. TPM

ESB & ANH are perfect films, IMO of course as everytime I watch them there isn't one thing I would change. The other 5 films have great moments and some bad moments, but the great moments still keep me coming back to them cause they are apart of a larger story. That is probably the difference between a SW sequel/prequel and another blockbuster sequel/prequel is they usually don't have those great moments in them like a SW movie does.

18. DarthEndus

DarthEndus Jedi Knight

Jan 12, 2016
    I posted this ranking in the TFA thread about where the latest film stands, but I wanted to give my opinion here too. I know this has been said before, but ranking AOTC last should not by any means be taken as a condemnation. It's a Star Wars movie! With lightsabers and Jedi and Slave I! I feel so lucky that we have seven films (so far!) that bring this incredible story to life. So, without further ado:

TFA
    ESB
    ANH
    ROTJ / ROTS
    TPM
    AOTC

I've been a fan of Star Wars for almost as long as I can remember. I walked out of my first viewing of TFA with a new favorite Star Wars film and a new favorite character (Rey) and only feel more confident in that opinion after three more trips to the theater. It's by far my favorite. Like I said above, I don't hate the prequels by any means. But the OT films are just better across the board. There's a magical quality to them (definitely felt that magic in TFA as well). The storytelling alone puts them among the best movies ever, IMO, especially ANH and ESB . ROTS pitting Vader and Obi-Wan against each other definitely had weight. The prequels have this sort of luster and majesty to them that works for those films, but doesn't touch the realism of TFA (or the OT, for that matter).

19. MoonFyre

MoonFyre Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2016
    Empire strikes back
    The Force Awakens
    A New Hope
    Return of the Jedi
    Revenge of the sith
    AOTC
    TPM

20. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    1. TESB (10/10
    2. TFA (9.5/10)
    3. RoTS (9/10)
    4. TPM (8/10)
    5. RoTJ (8/10)
    6. ANH (7/10)
    7. AOTC (5/10)

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  21. steelneena

steelneena Jedi Master star 1

Oct 4, 2007
    1. Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith
    3. A New Hope, The Phantom Menace, The Empire Strikes Back and Attack of the Clones in no particular order

TFA doesn't place at all.

22. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    1. TESB
    2. ANH
    3. ROTJ
    4. TFA
    5. ROTS
    6. TPM
    7. AOTC

23. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    1. ROTS (9,5 of 10): Still the most emotionally powerful Star Wars film for me. I like the brutal honesty in which Lucas depicted Anakin's downfall, the egoism and greed in its fullest without the all too common excuses that are made for beloved characters ("He had no choice.", "He was trying to do the right thing until it was too late." etc.)
    2. AOTC (9 of 10): This is, probably alongside ANH, the film which managed to find the best balance between the story of the galaxy and the evolution of the characters. We got to seen how the Clone Wars came into being and Palpatine's manipulations but also got to explore the flesh of Anakin's troubles and the psychological roots of his fall.
    3. ANH (8,5 of 10): Fascinating contrast between the first half and the second half of the film. Despite its "simplicity", it opened up the possibilites of six subsequent movies and many, many nuances to explore. It's also the only OT movie with a enjoyable Han, imo.
    4. TPM (8 of 10): It's got everything that an opening chapter of such a story needs. It perfectly sets up the galaxy and where everybody' heading. It's just a start, though, which prevents it from reaching the emotional and narrative heights of other chapters.
    5. TESB (7,5 of 10): Very schizophrenic film, with truly brilliant scenes on Bespin and Dagobah while also wasting time with a narratively galling battle and a love story that remains an isolated bubble of one-liners.
    6. ROTJ (6 of 10): Outstanding confrontation between Luke, Vader and Palpatine which led to a very satisfying "end" of the series. Most other things left me cold while feeling trivial, though.
    7. TFA (5 of 10): Very entertaining action film with hints of greatness but overall disappointing as a continuation (rather than remake or best-of collection) of the series.

24. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    1- ROTJ
    2- ROTS/TFA(Tied)
    3-ESB
    4-TPM
    5-AOTC/ANH(Tied)

Darkslayer and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  25. wcleere

wcleere Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2002