main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rate the Star Wars films, TPM to TFA

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by anakinfansince1983 , Dec 18, 2015.

?

Which Star Wars film is your favorite?

1. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

19 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

20 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

103 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope

81 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Episode V: Empire Strikes Back

180 vote(s)
    37.1%
  6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

41 vote(s)
    8.5%
  7. Episode VII: The Force Awakens

41 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. Amber Kenobi

Amber Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 12, 2016
    1. A New Hope. It had a good story and great characters and AWESOME DIALOGUE!
    2. The Force Awakens - Same as A New Hope, just didn't have those vibes that old movies give off.
    3. ESB - Yoda. That's all I can say.
    4. RotS - Yeah, yeah. Vader and Obi. Of course, there is an IMPORTANT plot!
    5. RotJ - Not that bad. Of course, Luke's duel at the end was stunning. Also, the Ewok celebration.
    6. AotC - Not as advertised. Not good, but not bad.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  2. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    What about TPM??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obi-Wan Catnobi likes this.
  3. Amber Kenobi

Amber Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 12, 2016
    TPM is so terrible it doesn't deserve to be on the list :amidala: = :(

4. JCassidy

JCassidy Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2016
    1. Empire Strikes Back - Just Brilliant, not a single bad moment
    2. A New Hope - A Brilliant action/adventure, the characters humour still hold up
    3. Return of the Jedi - Great but a bit of a drop off from the first two, The Endor scenes drag a bit and the editing between the death Star Scenes and the battle of Endor is a little clunky
    4. The Force Awakens - Disappointed me the first time, but I love it now. I didn't mind that the story echoed A New Hope , as Star Wars was always more character than story driven for me and I thought the new characters were fantastic and fresh enough to make it feel like its own film and the dialogue/chemistry between characters was great. My main gripe was Starkiller Base (Death Star Part 3) which felt like it could have easily been cut out and not hurt the film in any way.
    5. Revenge of the Sith - Pretty solid and enjoyable, I like General Grievous and Ian McDiarmid gives a great, hammy performance as Palpatine, his scene with Anakin in the theatre is absolutely brilliant. I think some of the fights are pretty weak (Palpatine Vs Jedi, Yoda vs Sidious) and the green screen looks very obvious and sterile in some scenes, but the best prequel by far.
    6. Attack of the Clones - Not very good, convoluted plot, ugly CGI, terrible performance by Hayden Christansen, cringe-worthy dialogue, bizarre acrobatic Yoda fight scene, Demysitifying Boba Fett. On the plus side it has Christopher Lee, who's always great.
    7. The Phantom Menace - Really painful to watch, just incredibly boring and dull. The Jedi are just a boring and unlikeable committee who do Politicians errands for them; Yoda loses all his charm and Mace Windu is one of the most unlikeable and overrated Star Wars characters ever.The only pluses are The fight between Qui-gon, Obi Wan and Darth Maul and Duel of the Fates.

5. KaleeshEyes

KaleeshEyes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    1: Star Wars 97%. A little rough around the edges (hey it was ground breaking) but the story just connected with me. The first time I watched it I saw the simple yet real characters, simple plot, great visuals and fantastic music, and I felt I had seen a truly great movie.
    2: The Empire Strikes Back 93%. Better acted and with better visuals and a deeper story than its predecessor, it left me feeling a little cold (heh) and it took some time to really get going. Also felt more like half of a story, which in a way it was.
    =4: Return of the Jedi 75%. A very good story, but the effects are quite rough due to the greater use of land settings. Some of the matte paintings and bluescreen just screen fake even for an early 80's film. The more disparate story also begins to disrupt the editing, with the ending having to tie together three different plots with different tones.
    =4: The Force Awakens 75%. Visually stunning and very well edited, it had me held the whole time. There was a bit of a lack of explanation for the characters changes and the story did seem a little unlikely, but will probably get better with hindsight.
    5: Revenge of the Sith 65% (generous). Visually much better than the previous prequels, most of the plot and action happens here, but the poor writing and direction drag it from good to mediocre. Introduces and ruins my favourite character all at the same time.
    =7: Attack of the Clones 40%. Mostly bowing until the final action sequences, has very poor dialogue and direction, leading to a poor overall movie.
    =7: The Phantom Menace 40%. Boring in some segments. exciting in others, contains the two most annoying characters ever in Star Wars. Poor visuals don't help either.

6. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    I don't see much similarity between Ren and Vader in Star Wars beyond dark side and black mask. The personalities aren't the same at all despite Ren literally in universe being a Darth Vader wannabe. PT Anakin, I'll buy for a dollar but Star Wars Vader just doesn't connect in my mind at all. Totally different vibes Vader was sinister, Ren is scary more in the madman with a nuke sort of way. Ren is conflicted while Vader is pure "black hat" evil in Star Wars.

I'd say Maul is far closer the the sinister, intimidating, on a leash, and single minded evil of Star Wars Vader despite differences in appearance and fighting style than Force Awakens Kylo Ren.

Ren is layered and very human while Vader 1.0 truly fit the description of more machine than man.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  7. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Star Trek is way better as a TV series, every movie compromises and usually to the degree of sacrificing being good Star Trek or being a good movie and sometimes failing at both pretty badly. I actually think the Abrams flicks are two of the better ones and I like Into Darkness considerably more, I'd rank it now lower than third in the series.

Wrath of Khan (manages to stay true to Trek by nicely branching off a pedestrian episode)
    First Contact (Would make for a respectable episode, not great but solid)
    Into Darkness (Entertaining movie. Derivitive really only a bit toward the end, not really a remake of Space Seed or Khan over like 90%+ of the film)
    Search for Spock (decently Treky but it feels like Parmount starting skimping and of course we fully expect to find Spock but killing the Enterprise was a tear jerker).

Star Trek
    The Undiscovered Country

"Whales" aka Voyage Home (Probably a more poorly crafted and less entertaining than this rank implies but it feels like Star Trek!).

Insurrection (I guess...Once you get her it is more about least objectionable than good).
    Motion Picture (I have a soft spot for it and would like to rank it higher because it has better production values than many and might be the most Trekish film but it is weapons grade sleepy. I was I believe the first in my theater to rise from the slumber enforced on us and got to catch reuniting with Spock Yay! Extra boring nearly purged of emotion Spock Booo!).

Prime Directive (I could probably hang but the killing Data for no reason while making a copy of him anyway is effing stupid).

"Gawd" aka The Final Frontier (Seriously? You're going to waste that title on this absolute garbage?) This is the only entry that I just can't accept at all. I like the little camping scene but after that you can throw the remaining stinky stuff away and throw away the hole you put it in.

Generations is unranked because I can't reconcile it in my head canon. I like it quite well as a movie but the nexus locks me in continuity loops that cause me to disregard it as a part of the series.
    Essentially, I just can't buy that Picard and Kirk could just wish their way out of the nexus, based on what I saw on film so I'm left to believe they are both still in there and everything that happened after that is all in Picard's head.

If I was going to include it, I'd put it between Search and Star Trek or so.

8. Sith_Smuggler

Sith_Smuggler Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2016
    [​IMG]

Deliveranze and ThisHurricane like this.
  9. DarthCricketer

DarthCricketer Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2016
    1. Star Wars (A New Hope): Original; single coherent story; enjoyable, relatable characters, great effects; etc., etc.
    2. The Empire Strikes Back: Again, great film, story etc., but there is something (possibly the tone or the incomplete story (being intended to be followed up)) that just didn't quite do it for me (as much as S.W.).
    3. The Force Awakens: although parts were obviously derivative (I cringed at some callbacks), it had great emotion for me; likeable characters who felt like real people; great effects and camera-work.
    4. Return of the Jedi: weaker than the others; a bit derivative in parts; suffered some issues with pacing and effects.
    5. Revenge of the Sith: finally got around to showing us pretty much everything the P.T. needed to show; the acting and effects are an improvement (although still problematic); feels rushed and a bit shallow.
    Equal Last: Attack of the Clones: Much is dull and needlessly elongated; does have only adult main characters, and the acting is perhaps a little more in character but direction and writing is clearly poor; effects aren't particularly good and are over-used; action scenes have little tension or emotion.
    The Phantom Menace: Mind-numbingly boring; practical effects are O.K. to good whilst C.G.I. is terrible; characters are wooden or annoying; so little emotion is conveyed that there is nothing to distract from more nit-picky details resulting in one being taken out of the film completely.

KaleeshEyes likes this.
  10. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Note: I am basing this also on deleted scenes, Special, IMAX & 3D editions.

1. ROTS
    2. ANH
    3. TESB
    4. ROTJ
    5. AOTC
    6. TPM
    7. TFA
    8. TCW (2008 movie)
    9. Ewok movie 1
    10. Ewok movie 2
    11. The Great Heap (Droids tv movie)
    12. TSWHS

11. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    1. A New Hope
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. The Force Awakens
    6. Attack of the Clones
    7. The Phantom Menace

12. skyrimcat9416

skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2013
    Real Star Wars Films:

1. The Phantom Menace
    2. Revenge of the Sith
    3. Attack of the Clones

These outdated 70's/80's films:

4. Return of the Jedi
    5. The Empire Strikes Back
    6. A New Hope

This Disney movie:

7. The Farce Awakens.

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    1. Star Wars
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. The Force Awakens
    4. Return of the Jedi

That's my ranking of all four Star Wars movies ever made. Now, it may look to you like something's missing, and you'd be right, but there's no way I'm counting the Holiday Special.

14. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    The last two posts are a good indicator of everything wrong with this fandom and a reason for why I'm becoming less and less encouraged to post around here.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Um. I think that's the opposite of what you really mean.
    More and more discouraged, you mean?

The wording of the two posts could be better but if that is how they feel, so be it.
    People can like the movies in whatever order they like and as many or as little as they want.
    It's not like they are attacking other people's opinions on the matter though.

16. Alienware

Apr 19, 2013
    Force Smuggler: I edited the post several times as I couldn't find the right words, I think I got it right now :p

That's true, but I get a condescending vibe from posts like that, and it just makes me cringe.

17. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

I'm sharing the same thoughts as you do Alienware. That's also why I've become less involved, or rather totally absent, from discussions here on this forum. But you could also say that the other main reason is because I'm currently being too busy with real life and don't have now much time to think about just Star Wars...

18. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    My post was a joke and in direct response to the post immediately above mine. I may not particularly like the prequels, but I don't hate them (they're movies, hatred is better directed elsewhere) and hold no ill-will towards those that do like them for the reason of liking them.

19. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013

Yeah, the fan wars grow tiresome. Of course, they'll always be rude people out there, but hopefully, when we get to Ep. 8, the anti-PT and the anti-rehash stuff will have died down, as I can't imagine that Disney will be marketing Ep. 8 as the solution to the "PT-problem" and I don't imagine that they'll dare rehashing TESB with Ep. 8. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I'm thinking all the taking sides will die down.

It's crazy. So much acrimony created by 6 films meant of 12-year-old boys. I wonder if Trekkies, HP fans, LOTR fans, etc. have to deal with this much infighting.

DavBacca and SW Saga Fan like this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I like reading the different orders people come up with. Even if it doesn't have all 6 main movies, has TFA, includes the Ewok movies, TCW movie, etc. Makes it fun to read. More interesting than seeing everyone pick the same 6 movies in the same order for everyone.
    Trek has all the different series' and movies.
    HP books and movies and then Cursed Child. LOTR, books, movies, Hobbit movies etc.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I saw some ugliness in the Harry Potter fandom back when Sugar Quill was still active.

That said...everyone is fine right now but just a reminder to steer clear of "fan wars". Those of you who do not like them are not alone. The administration of this site agrees.

22. AniLukeRey

AniLukeRey Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 6, 2016
    I have a hard time choosing. I feel like all 7 films work together to tell 1 continuing story.

23. Alienware

Apr 19, 2013
    DavBacca likes this.
  24. zisme

zisme Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2016
    ESB
    ANH
    ROJ
    TFA
    TPM