main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rate the Star Wars films, TPM to TFA

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by anakinfansince1983 , Dec 18, 2015.

?

Which Star Wars film is your favorite?

1. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

19 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

20 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

103 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope

81 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Episode V: Empire Strikes Back

180 vote(s)
    37.1%
  6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

41 vote(s)
    8.5%
  7. Episode VII: The Force Awakens

41 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    So, uh, ratings... anyone got any?

(As in: I think we better take this discussion elsewhere before the Mods throw us all out :p )

2. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    1 TPM 5/5
    2 ROTS 5/5
    3 ESB 4/5
    4 AOTC 4/5
    5 ANH 3/5
    6 ROTJ 3/5
    7 TCW (movie) 2.5/5

8 TFA 2/5
    9 original Holiday Special 0.5/5

haven't yet been able to even finish the first of the Ewok movies.

3. saq428

saq428 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 30, 2005
    1. TESB
    2. ANH
    3. ROTJ
    4. TFA
    5. ROTS
    6. TPM
    7. AOTC

4. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015

Okay....
    1. Actually, the Holiday Special came out around Thanksgiving, not Christmas.
    2. Hasn't it been proven that several things from TFA came from Lucas himself?
    3. Yes, two corporate cashgrabs that Lucas helped create
    4. How so?
    5. No, it really isn't
    6. Lucas has gone on record and said that he would destroy every copy of the Holiday Special if he could. I'm pretty sure he hasn't said anything nearly as harsh towards TFA.

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    So, is everyone going to be ranking Rogue One and the other standalone films with the Saga movies? Or will you be ranking them separately since they're going to be deviating from a lot of the Saga's stylistic conventions?

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Honestly, I'll be ranking R1 and the other spin offs with the other films - but I've been ranking the Ewoks movies with the other films for twenty+ years so... :p

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The TFA Jedi purge was Lucas'. According to Pablo Hidalgo at least. So I expect people to say that unless Lucas says he came up with the TFA Jedi Purge they aren't going to take Disney's or Lucasfilm's word for it.

I'll be doing Original Lucas movies 1-6, TPM-ROTJ plus the Disney ST plus whatever Saga sequels they do after that, the spinoffs by themselves, and all of the movies together.

8. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Except you are wrong.
    Luke did NOT have YEARS of training in the OT.
    IN ANH he had one lesson with Obi-Wan and then at the start of ESB he manages to pull things towards him using the Force. This from just ONE lesson. And did Luke know that this power existed?
    Not established.
    Then Luke trains with Yoda for what, a couple of weeks, maybe 1-2 months, and that is all the training he needs to become a Jedi. Between ESB and RotJ how much time pass? A few months at most and now Luke is almost a Jedi Knight.

So the OT has Luke pick up things very quickly and compared with the PT, who says it takes at least a decade or maybe two to become a Jedi knight, Luke manages it in less than a year.

As for not explaining.

In TPM, the Jedi mention the prophecy and "bring balance to the Force". What does that mean, who made this prophecy, why is it different from the normal Jedi ability to see the future?
    Not answered.

In AotC a mystery is set up about the Clone army and Sifo-Dyas, was he involved or not?
    The Jedi don't know but then the films totally ignores this plot point and it is left unresolved.

Why do the Sith want revenge, what are the demands of the seps, these and other questions are raised and then not really answered.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

9. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I don't believe a word out of that sentence.

Darthman92 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012

And so it begin's.

KaleeshEyes likes this.
  11. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016

Truthfully, I don't think that even George Lucas, with all of his narrative missteps, would have been stupid enough to do this again right after the film named RETURN of the Jedi.

Amon_Amarth and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Let's get back to ranking the films instead of arguing against each other's rankings.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  13. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    1. Fair enough. I've always heard it was christmas
    2. LOL no, no it hasn't. The only proof we have is that Abrams and Kasdan threw out Lucas' ideas to make their rippoff fanfilm
    3. Lucas had nothing to do with either of those.
    4. Because the big three went through major character development in the OT, they are very different people from the beginning of ANH to the end of ROTJ. TFA removes all the character development from them, putting Han and Leia back to their ANH personas and making Luke a coward. Utter character destruction.
    5. Yes, it REALLY is!
    6. That's because he can't, he doesn't own it. But as far as comments about TFA, ahem "white slavers".

Whoops, it seems that you're confused between "using an advanced skill in a power you have never heard of" and "using a mild skill in a power you've been practicing for a year".
    Luke get's a little bit of direct training from Obi-wan, which teaches him to feel the Force and trust his feelings. Rey had never heard of the Force.
    A YEAR later, Luke uses a mild technique of pulling a lightsaber to him with GREAT difficulty. Rey does this in a second without knowing that ability is even possible, a few hours after having heard about the Force
    FOUR YEARS LATER, after spending several months getting one on one training from the greatest Jedi of the age, and doing a lot practicing on his own, Luke is able to use an advanced Force technique. Rey uses the same technique a few hours after hearing about the Force for the first time, and knowing nothing about what it can do.

Please stop confusing "less training than the prequels" with "absolutely no training, no knowledge, and no reference".
    TFA is an insult to our intelligence.

14. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    You still claimed that it required YEARS of training, I proved you wrong, get over it.
    Luke had one lesson with Obi-Wan, one which didn't involve Force pull.
    Then he trained with Yoda for a few weeks, maybe 1-2 months at most.
    Total time, far less than a year.

Also you seem to have the time line confused, ESB is three years after ANH, not one.
    The amount of time between ESB and RotJ is unclear but given that Chewie and Lando were leaving at the end of ESB and Luke said he would meet them on Tatooine, it doesn't seem that a lot of time has passed. A few weeks, 1-2 months on the outside.
    That Luke trained on his own between ESB and RotJ is implied but no such implication exists for between ANH and ESB.
    I would say that the film implies against it. During ESB, Palpatine contacts Vader and warns him about Luke and that he is getting stronger. This seemed a new thing. So it is unlikely that Luke did any training between ANH and ESB.

You talk about "Advanced" techniques, is pulling things with the Force advanced?
    I would think not, Luke does in ESB without even knowing it can be done. He stuggles a bit yes and later with Yoda he is able to do much more. So moving things with the Force seems like a basic technique, one of the first things a Jedi learns.

That Rey grabbed the lightsabre, the film implies that more is at work here than just her.
    That lightsabre reached out to her. How, why, not explained as yet.

Is the mind trick advanced?
    The films doesn't say and Rey is able to do it, but like Luke, she struggles a bit at first.

Bye.
    Old Stoneface

TX-20, Yanksfan, KaleeshEyes and 2 others like this.
  15. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016

Oh, man. They're really going to just beat us over the head with the references to Arthurian legend, I just know it.

As for your response, I agree to a point. The thing with Force pull is that one would think that Rey yanking the lightsaber out of Ben's grip would be complete crap, but he was severely wounded. That pretty much has to be taken into account. What I thought was kind of stupid was her ability to counter Ben's psychic advances. I mean, that would have been a good opportunity to show the potency of his ability to ravage the minds of others using the Force for information and hint at Rey's Force sensitivity through a painful, but strong display of willpower that results in him getting nowhere. Making him completely botch the interrogation just eliminates any sense of danger surrounding his skills altogether which doesn't really make him all that formidable. When he's pushing 30 and was trained by Luke himself (who knows what knowledge Luke might have found in the past 3 decades), you'd expect him to be somewhat competent at something...anything involving the Force. Unless he's like Haazen from KotOR or something which would be an odd decision considering the whole "the Force is strong in my family" schtick.

By the way, I can see telekinesis as an ability one might be able to get through instinct but the ability to manipulate the minds of others just seems like something far more advanced and too powerful of an ability to be gained instinctually by someone who is (psychologically speaking) a novice at this point. It seems like they just did it for a cheap laugh and having Rey escape without having the other characters do it. Seeing her utilize resourcefulness she's acquired from being on Jakku to escape would have been far more interesting and endearing to her character.

That's just my opinion though.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    This thread is getting a cooling off period.

When it gets re-opened, it needs to be about rankings and not a TFA vs the PT thread.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Alright, let's try this again, with a few nonnegotiable rules:

1. This is a rankings thread. Rank the movies. For examples, see the other rankings thread, which is going very well.

2. You may discuss why you ranked the movies the way you did. There is no need to tell other people that their rankings are "wrong."

3. You can think TFA/the PT movies are the best thing since finding winning Powerball ticket in a McDonald's bag. You can decide that you would rather watch Bugs Bunny sit on a three-legged stool on an empty stage and read from a Betty Crocker cookbook than watch TFA/the PT movies again.

I don't care.

What you will not do is tell other users that they are unintelligent, have no taste, etc. for liking TFA better than the PT or vice versa. Saying that the movies "appeal to the unintelligent" (or that the movies you like "appeal to the intelligent") or some such is toeing the line of this rule at best.

18. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    So, here's my list:

1. TESB
    2. ROTJ
    3. ANH
    4. ROTS=TFA
    5. TPM
    6.AOTC

Yes, I'm putting both ROTS and TFA in the same place. I had this listing a while ago and it hasn't changed since.

19. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Were you referring to me with this? I was simply responding to Samuel's post regarding his interpretation of events in the film. I wasn't saying he had poor taste or liked a movie that "appealed to his supposed lack of intelligence".

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nope, it was a general warning based on the fact that that I got called back in this thread due to people sniping at each other twice in one week.

21. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016

Ah. I see.

22. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    My latest:

SW 10
    TESB 10
    TFA 9
    ROTJ 7
    TPM 6.5
    AOTC = ROTS 5

JediChipKelly and TheMoldyCrow like this.
  23. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Extra! Extra! All the latest:

1. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (10)
    2. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (9.5)
    3. Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (9)
    4. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (9)
    5. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (8)
    6. Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (7)
    7. TFA (5)

24. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    The Phantom Menace 3/10
    Attack of the Clones 3/10
    Revenge of the Sith 5/10
    A New Hope 9/10
    Empire Strikes Back 10/10
    Return of the Jedi 7/10

25. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    You seem to be missing one.