main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rate the Star Wars films, TPM to TFA

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by anakinfansince1983 , Dec 18, 2015.

?

Which Star Wars film is your favorite?

1. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

19 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

20 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

103 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope

81 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Episode V: Empire Strikes Back

180 vote(s)
    37.1%
  6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

41 vote(s)
    8.5%
  7. Episode VII: The Force Awakens

41 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    When Mace and Yoda finish the "Only two there are" speech, the camera focuses on Palpatine.

Darth-Seldon likes this.
  2. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    A nice hint, but not overt.

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003

Maybe it was so obvious because we already knew but I really think it is overt even if you watched the prequels before the OT. Same actor, same voice, same chin, same balcony, the Mace/Yoda line with the slow pan to Palpatine, and both are introduced within minutes of each other as similar holograms. Sidious makes repeated references to the Senate and how he is in control of what is happening there…and he's the only senator we're introduced to besides the old chancellor. His Sidious hood is the equivalent of Clark Kent's glasses…

4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I didn't see it the first time I saw the movie and was not as internet-savy as I am now so I was a bit surprised to learn about that one.
    Hind-sight is amazing.

5. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012

Overt means "open to view or knowledge; not concealed or secret" (dictionary.com) It's not overt until Episode 3 when Anakin flat out says "You're the Sith Lord". All of the things you enumerated about Episode 1 are not overt. They are the stuff of conspiracy theory. It just happens to be a conspiracy theory that's correct. None of them establish the cannon of Palpatine's identity.

6. Colwyn Ren

Colwyn Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    You guys. This is ridiculous. It was revealed that Palpatine became the emperor in 1976. There was nothing subtle going on. The only possible twist would have been that the emperor was an evil twin clone or something. Are we playing a game where we pretend that we didn't already know all of this for 22 years before the release of TPM?

EDIT: We learned this in 1976 in the Star Wars novelization a year before Star Wars even came out!

"Aided and abetted by restless, power-hungry individuals within the government, and the massive organs of commerce, the ambitious Senator Palpatine caused himself to be elected President of the Republic. He promised to reunite the disaffected among the people and to restore the remembered glory of the Republic. Once secure in office he declared himself Emperor, shutting himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office, and the cries of the people for justice did not reach his ears " Alan Dean Foster, Star Wars, 1976

"The Emperor sat, regarding this view, as Vader approached from behind. The Lord of the Sith kneeled and waited. The Emperor let him wait. He perused the vista before him with a sense of glory beyond all reckoning: this was all his. And more glorious still, all his by his own hand.
    For it wasn't always so. Back in the days when he was merelySenator Palpatine, the galaxy had been a Republic of stars, cared for and protected by the Jedi Knighthood that had watched over it for centuries. But inevitably it had grown too large - too massive a bureaucracy had been required, over too many years, in order to maintain the Republic. Corruption had set in." Alan Dean Foster, Return of the Jedi, 1983

Sith_Smuggler and Darth-Seldon like this.
  7. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003

Overt also means readily apparent, not secret or hidden, noticeable. While the character is concealing his identity from the other characters…the film makes it obvious. There is a distinction. You're correct that it is not overt to the characters until he reveals himself to Anakin in ROTS. The audience is told long before that moment. Unlike the audience, the characters don't get to see Sidious and Palpatine. The Trade Federation is only dealing with the hooded figure while the rest are interacting with the politician. By design, Lucas has put the audience ahead of the characters on this central fact.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    Really? I wonder if that's why I stated the following:

No, we're pretending that some people hadn't seen any of the Star Wars films or read any of the books before watching the movies in the order the author prefers people to watch them. A silly fantasy, I know. But hey...stranger things have happened. And we're doing that for the sake of comparing TPM to TFA, a film that by all appearances could very well have subtle things going on that aren't revealed or highlighted until future episodes.

I understand that difference. My point is that the audience is not "told" anything. It is hinted at (I'll grant there's a good case to be made that it's heavily hinted at), but not confirmed until ROTS. Up to that point, we don't actually see Palpatine putting on the hood or communicating with Maul/Dooku or anything that would only make sense if he was both characters. There may be some subtler hints in TFA about some reveal we've yet to discover. My only point is that we don't know the complexity of TFA until the ST is complete.

9. Colwyn Ren

Sep 16, 2015
    There's no reason to pretend people didn't see the OT first. They literally came out and had all of this information before the PT was even fleshed out. If you were trying to do apples to apples, wouldn't it be more accurate to compare the OT to the ST?

10. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    Who's pretending? I was being sarcastic. You mean you really think there isn't a single person who watched the series in episode order?

Since you obviously aren't bothering to look up the beginning of our discussion, I'll recap it: Darth Nerdling claimed that TPM had "more depth" than TFA because of all the political manipulations of Palpatine/Sideous. I was saying, more or less, that it's only fair to compare the two as someone who doesn't know what comes after TPM chronologically, as that is how everyone is seeing TFA. And even then, there could very well be hidden depths to TFA that aren't revealed until the trilogy as a whole is complete. So the REALLY fair comparison should only be made in 2019.

11. Colwyn Ren

Sep 16, 2015
    That's fair.

12. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    1. The Empire Strikes Back - One of the greatest movies ever made​
    2. The Force Awakens - The best dialogue and acting (well maybe tied with Empire) of any Star Wars film. Fantastic characters
    3. A New Hope - The classic that started it all
    4. Return of the Jedi - This one gets overrated due to 4 and 5 being so good, but I also feel it makes up for the bad (Ewoks, etc) with some of the best scenes in the Saga (Endor Space battle, Luke/Vader/Palpatine, etc)
    5. Revenge of the Sith - This one gets overrated simply because it's widely considered "the good prequel". ROTS unfortunately has a lot of the same issues that the other prequels have. That being said, it is clearly the best of the prequels and does have some really good scenes and a fantastic score
    6. The Phantom Menace - I like some of the things they tried, but this movie did fail on a lot of levels. It still can be watchable from time to time and I don't consider it terrible
    7. Attack of the Clones - The only truly bad Star Wars movie. Some of the things (Obi-Wan's fake beard) are just lazy and embarrassing. This is the only one I can't really defend and find painful to watch. Much of the main plot doesn't even make sense. All that being said, I'd still probably give it at least a 4/10 and can watch it from time to time​

callmejoe likes this.
  13. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    I'd say...

ANH
    ROTJ
    TPM
    TFA
    ROTS
    AOTC
    ESB

14. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    After my second daily marathon of all current saga movies:
    1. Revenge of the Sith - 9.5/10
    2. The Empire Strikes Back - 9.5/10
    3. A New Hope - 9/10
    4. The Phantom Menace - 8.5/10
    5. Attack of the Clones - 8.5/10
    6. Return of the Jedi - 8/10
    7. The Force Awakens - 7/10

15. HeadingSouth

HeadingSouth Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2014
    1. Star Wars.
    2. Revenge Of The Sith.
    3. The Empire Strikes Back.
    4. Return Of The Jedi/Attack Of The Clones/The Phantom Menace.

7. The Force Awakens.

jimkenobi likes this.
  16. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Is it a stretch to say that people who are heavily interested in Star Wars enjoy the prequels more?

Was reading a reddit thread where people were amazed that ROTS had 80 percent on rotten tomatoes. There was no room for opinions in that discussion, their view was the right view! Their view was not subjective but factual!

For someone like me who loves to watch these films again and again, I feel no kind of hatred in my heart in such matters...

Just some thoughts I had, carry on!

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    For some people sure, but for me? No. The OT and EU for me.

18. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    As these boards show, I don't think you can generalize it or find bright-line rules. Fans are all over the map in what they value/prefer. It really has no correlation to their level of interest.

19. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    1. A New Hope
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. Revenge of the Sith
    5. The Phantom Menace
    6. Attack of the Clones
    7. The Force Awakens

20. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    Complete Results as of December 31, 2015:

N=243

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    Tier 1

The Empire Strikes Back >= The Force Awakens

Tier 2

Revenge of the Sith > A New Hope > Return of the Jedi

Tier 3

Attack of the Clones > The Phantom Menace

22. IncognitoIsHere

IncognitoIsHere Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2015
    1.ANH
    2.ROTS
    3.TPM
    4.TESB
    5.ROTJ
    6.AOTC
    7.TFA

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  23. Etav Byx

Etav Byx Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jul 28, 1998
    TESB
    ANH
    ROTJ
    TFA
    ROTS
    AOTC
    TPM

24. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Alienware That TFA is the only one with a bimodal distribution is interesting.

Alienware likes this.
  25. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    This thread is certainly proving to me once again that ROTS is by far the most overrated SW flim

RogueZero and callmejoe like this.