main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rated list of books?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sable, May 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sable

sable Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2003
    Hi, quick question from a lurker..

I know of the Del Rey timeline.. got that from the FAQ..

I was wondering if there was a list of books that were rated? hopefully by this group, since you guys seem to know your stuff.

I am currently reading a terrible SW book, the New Rebellion.. ugh. but I will finish it because it is star wars, but its clumsy and overly dramatic.

It got me to thinking, is there a list of the novels, with ratings that I would know to avoid certain books, or know that they were not so good going into them.. I saw the Lit Review forum, but it was a smaller subset of books, and am looking for the whole list reviewed.. or something. seems like theres should be something like this.

badger

2. sedrynvagor

sedrynvagor Jedi Master star 1

May 11, 2003
    Hi , welcome to the boards.

try this link.

http://www.theforce.net/books/reviews/novels_chrono.shtml

Just paste it into ur url.

Sedryn

3. mrslush50

mrslush50 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    or try this link.

it's an entire lit. review forum. you should find anything you need.

4. sable

sable Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2003
    it's an entire lit. review forum. you should find anything you need.

Except the book I specifically referenced is not in that thread. I did check there in the hopes it was, but alas it was not. (book="the new rebellion") There are quite a number of books not in there.. Thanks though...

I've worked my way through most to the more well known EU books (except the NJO series) like the Thrawn books, Correllia trilogy, the X-wing books, and am starting to work my way down the list to others as I find them in used book stores. Not all these are good, and its hard to tell which ones are good with out reading them.. I was hoping for a rated list of books that could help me decide based on which ones others thought were good, passable, or just plain awful.

Sorry if I wasn't to clear on what I wanted..
    thanks again.

badger

5. sable

sable Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2003
    " Hi , welcome to the boards."

thanks!

"try this link.
    http://www.theforce.net/books/reviews/novels_chrono.shtml"

good reference, although I disagree with the one review of the book I am reading now.

but its better than nothing..

THANKS!

6. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Yeah, the Lit. review forum needs more books to review in it.

As for The New Rebellion in general most people agree that it is a bad book, along with Planet of Twilight and The Crystal Star. I will suggest reading them all and form your own opinions on it.

7. sable

sable Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2003
    "I will suggest reading them all and form your own opinions on it."

I am torn on that issue.. I love SW books, I love to get into the world one more time..

(Jury's still out on NJO, doesn't feel very star warsie to me, but I've only read the first one so far..)

On one hand I like to learn bits and peices about the SW world.. on the other I hate bad writing, its hard to get through.

But I guess if I know its coming I can be less disapointed when I do read the crud novels? maybe?
    :)

thanks

Yeah, New Rebellion is bugging me, its clunky with clumsy references to the other books and movies, and overly dramatic scenes, with everything on edge but not in a good way. And Nadressan's (sp) species is a bit wierd. The aliens don't really seem to fit my image of the SW world order..

badger

8. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Here is the link that sedrynvagor wanted to put in. ;)

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    First off- welcome ::)

Though people have enjoyed the following non-NJO books, they are the ones most often disliked from what I can tell: The Approaching Storm, The Crystal Star and Planet of Twilight.

The other ones that can split people are Children of the Jedi and the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy and, maybe, Courtship of Princess Leia.

Beyond that, I think you'll find the rest are at least fairly enjoyable reads if not good ones.

10. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Hmm...I would read The Courtship of Princess Leia if you haven't, it has some excellent character development and we finally get to see Luke fly the Falcon... :D

But make sure you read the first 7 X-Wing books first. Great reads. ;)

11. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    I'd hafto agree on the Crystal Star,and Planet of Twilight. The entire X-wing series is excellent though and once you've read those, if you like Corran Harn or want to know more about Jedi training then I, Jedi is a must read :)

12. sable

sable Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2003
    I loved the X wing series, those were great.

I finally finished The New Rebellion last night, ugh. it started out ok, but man did it ever go downhill.. I just recently posted a full page rant about in my LJ. :)

thanks for all the tips, I appreciate it. I'm off to the bookstore today to get another SW to read.

Must.
    Have.
    More.
    STAR WARS!!

badger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.