main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Rayman Origins / Legends

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Reynar_Tedros, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Has anyone played this? Seems like it got lost amongst all the heavy hitters this season (released the same day as Saints Row and Assassin's Creed, four days post-Skyrim), but it's developed a devoted following and has gotten great reviews across the board. I love 2D platformers and this one certainly looks pretty.

What I can't get over is the comparisons it's drawn to Donkey Kong Country Returns, a 2D platformer that also garnered widespread acclaim but that I absolutely loathed. It's also been said to be quite difficult, which was one of my main gripes with DKCR.

Can anyone who's played it comment? I have loads of store credit at the local game shop so I could head there right now and get it if I wanted. I'm just still on the fence.

2. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm getting it just to support something bright and colourful in a season full of dark and gritty endeavours. ;) It's been too long since a title with this much charm and visible effort has been released. I'd get it right now if it wasn't for christmas shopping. It's definately the next game I'm going to buy though.

3. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    The number of times I've heard the X Factor announcer shout at me "RAYMAN IS BACK!!!" at the start of every bloody YouTube video makes me want to punch a baby.

4. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Brian Blessed is the X Factor announcer now? That's news to me. :p

5. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    I wouldn't know because I don't ever sink to that level of TV but it sounded kinda like the guy who does half the announcements in Britain at the moment. But this is all beside the point, what I'm getting at more is the fact that I'm constantly being harassed into purchasing it when I have nothing but negative interest after two weeks of nothing but Rayman ads on YouTube.

6. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I think it's a shame that you are going to let what is potentialy a gaming gem go unloved because of google's evil attempt at squeezing advertising revenue from a free service, and Ubisoft's equally evil attempt at trying to get a catoony platformer noticed in a consumer base that wants more "realistic" shooters or casual gaming fluff. :p

7. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    I never played Rayman as a kid and I don't care for it. Money is tight as it is so I'd rather not take chances on games that I don't know if I'd enjoy or not.

8. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Been playing this all afternoon. It's slick, addictive and the hand drawn visuals look gorgeous. It's nice that they can finally be done justice. Some might find it to get a bit repetative a little quick, others may not enjoy how short each level is. But for me this is the perfect throwback to the 2D platformers I grew up with.

I hope Origins sells enough for Rayman to come back as an icon too. He just looks awesome, and we need another colourful, charming video game icon in a time where the medium is ruled by shooters and Nintendo characters.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Rayman never really registered on my radar ever- the first Rayman game I ever played was the original Raving Rabbids, and it's become quite clear that the Rabbids are the stars n that series. From my perspective he was a 3rd tier "mascot" effort, below your 2nd tiers like Ratchet/Jak, but above failed efforts like Bubsy and Aero.

That said, I'm really looking forward to playing this one myself- the art style is just absolutely gorgeous (and uses a new engine for manipulating 2D artwork that holds a lot of promise for 2D platformers of the future) and I'm always up for a solid platformer.

Word is it's as great a platformer as Donkey Kong Country Returns, with a mix of New Super Mario Bros's multiplayer (though apparently with a focus on making sure you can avoid accidentally inferring with each other).

So, yeah, it looks great enough to overcome my neutral interest in the series and is apparently well designed enough to be worth a look.

10. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    It was only a failed attempt at creating a mascot in the same way that Beyond Good and Evil was a failed attempt at an action/adventure franchise. The actual product was up there with the best, it's just that it didn't sell very well among the general public.

Michel Ancel, the creator of both Rayman and BGAE, has a habit of making great games that flop commercialy.[face_laugh]

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, I wasn't calling Rayman a failed effort- just 3rd tier. I only called Bubsy and Aero failures.