main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RE: After the D trailer, should this forum disallow all new information on AOTC?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Jazzatola, Mar 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C-3P0

C-3P0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
  2. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    cb, I figure everyone else pokes fun at it, I may as well join in. ;)

:cool: Mace Windy,
    windier than the signature feature!

3. opinion

opinion Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    ...i voted no...cant see why we shouldnt be able to talk about anything officially released...

4. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    After much thought I have voted no. I know it is a losing cause but what is the fun of being on this board if we can't talk about new info from the official site. Obviously we don't talk about the toys and what the back of the cards say, the book, and the cd but we should be able to talk about the rest. I mean we will have nothing to talk about if we can't talk about new info. Look at all the threads on the board. Most of them pertain right now to the upcoming trailer. We want to talk about the new info and we talk about it weeks before it is out. What happens when we can't talk about any new things. The board will become boring.

If we can't talk about official info after the trailers then I might have to leave after the rule comes in place and by the looks of the voting it will. I just won't have anything to talk about.

Actually I probably don't have the will power to leave at all.

5. Malthus

Malthus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    Good point, Harlowe. I actually can agree with that...

6. THX_Princess

THX_Princess Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Well, I am outta here when Clone War comes out. I got a little spoiled when the last ones came out: who was driving the speeder, names of planets, that kinda thing. I don't want to know anything else!

7. Obi-Wan69

Obi-Wan69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 1999
    I voted "no". I can totally understand folks not wanting the movie to be ruined for them this late in the game. But if you're that hard core about avoiding spoilers, in all honesty, don't come here until after the film is released. It's a Star Wars forum, after all.

Where are the non-spoiler people who aren't this anal about everything going to go to discuss things? Certaintly not to the spoiler forum. Why do they deserve to be getting the shaft?

I don't go to the spoiler forum (that forum is rife with misinformation and rumor and half-truths anyway)

[face_laugh]

The sad thing is, that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Thanks for the laugh, though...really.

8. Malthus

Mar 31, 1999
    Couldn't be farther from the truth?

Interesting. About 6 months ago I was tempted briefly by the "dark side" and went over there and read some threads. All kinds of posts about wildly unfounded information, all stated as fact, and when I attempted to glean information, none was forthcoming. "My buddy told me" was the level of proof and source info.

Quite amazing. And completely unconvincing. You can't tell what's true or not over there, which is just as well, because I'd just as soon rather not go there :)

9. Obi-Wan69

Obi-Wan69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 1999
    I'm not saying there aren't lots of newbies who run their mouths with far fetched theories, or the occasional nut who claims false things to be true.

The "regulars" over there aren't forthcoming about info because we've grown tired of folks starting new threads and asking old questions instead of digging a little bit and finding stuff out for themselves.

But, rest assured, the accuracy of the spy reports and the other information given to TFN, Ep-X, T-bone, ect. from insiders has been nothing short of amazing.

We've known pretty much the entire film for over a year now, with things we knew long ago being confirmed by the OS, pics, and trailers every day.

It's not a big deal, but don't doubt the knowledge we've got over there. It's why I'm extremely psyched for the film.

;)

10. Malthus

Mar 31, 1999
    Then I stand corrected. I suppose I can only judge by the brief glimpse I got.

And though I don't want to know the unofficial details, the general gist of the new movie is overwhelmingly positive from both spoiled and unspoiled alike.

I'm crossing my fingers, hoping for the best, but will remain seated until I witness a reason myself to cheer this time around... :) I got burned by TPM, unfortunately.

C'mon Lucas!

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I would say you should still allow discussion of TV spots, posters and any music video that might be released. But stuff like the books and adaptations and stuff should definatelky be off limits. I'd say magazine article content (other than letting it be known that they exist for those who want to find them) and any tv making-of specials would be good canidates for things to be avoided.

And perhaps things related to Celebration 2 could be allowed as well.

12. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Oh very well, I voted yes.

13. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I voted no to the idea of "disallowing" all new information released after D-Trailer; my reason is because I believe there should never be a time when we can't discuss SW based on official information.

After getting locked topics and edited messages about "spoiler" information, I was directed to the forum's rules (and definitions) about spoilers. And I must say they are reasonable. Basically, the point is that ANY information released from an "official" Lucasfilm/related source is NOT a spoiler. So, the idea of cutting off information from those sources that we've come to trust in the past is like turning our backs on those we've come to trust most.

There are hundreds of "fan sites" out there spreding every bit of rumor and gossip. And yes, even our beloved "Force.net" has pushed the level of trust by disclosing information, that later is taken off at the request of GL and Lucasfilm. My point is, that fans can't and shouldn't rely on Force.net and the Jedi Council Forums to protect them from "spoiling" their experience with AotC; because the only one who can do that is ourselves!

Take some responsibility for what you believe and what you discuss. If you want to be 100% in the dark when you walk into the theater(which is fine, your choice)...don't listen to all the rumors. But more imoprtant, don't try to force your view on "spoiled" on everyone; it's just arrogance. The current rules of JC Forums are doing a fine job, no need to change them.

EDIT: "It seems that the majority of the 'spoiler free' members who have kept this forum alive for the past three years are voting 'yes'" That's an awfully bold presumption. Maybe the ones who proclaim themselves as "spoiler-free" are just a small part of the people who regularly post here.

14. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    I voted yes.

I'd certainly rethink my almost-haitus from the AOTC boards if I knew that it wasn't going to dissolve into Spoiler Board Lite within the next few weeks. As it is, I already know about as much about the movie as I want to, and I'm already feeling like the non-spoiler boards have become pretty dangerous territory. I haven't been to the Official Site for a couple months now, just because they have been getting a little too spoilerish for me. I've been almost totally avoiding this board for the same reason. I'd like to discuss what we already know, and a moratorium on new information would make that easier to do without gradually getting the entire gist of the movie.

And within a month, the novel will be out... "officially released info". IMHO, that's WAY over the line and should be confined to the non spoiler boards for the duration.

15. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Really, I only trust things from the official site now (barring the toys and books). There will be this and that magazine or newspaper article with some spoiler or something in it, and that would make me mad.

16. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    I voted yes. I mean the screenplay is an officially released source. Does that mean we will be able to discuss that once the book is in the shops?

17. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    I voted YES.

Think about it, there's going to be comics, novelisations, soundtracks, toys, trading cards etc- all officially released, and therefore non-spoiler. Plus magazine articles- I doubt very much that journalists are going to worry about giving away details that are already well known to anyone who visits the spoiler forums. And I doubt Lucasfilm are going to suddenly stop giving new bits of information as the AOTC build up for non-nerds really kicks in!

I'd also like to see a Hardcore Spoiler free Episode III forum, where nothing but the trailers and posters will be allowed to be discussed, but I imagine I'm in a minority for that...

18. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 1999
    Put me down for a yes.

19. MountainMan

MountainMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 11, 2001
    I would say that anything official that doesn't reveal significant plot details should be allowed. For instance, discussion of the trailers is fine, but discussing the novel is definitely off-limits. I don't have a problem with talking about the soundtrack so long as it doesn't have another "Qui-Gon's Noble End" fiasco!

Personally, I'm such a spoiler virgin that I probably wouldn't recognize a spoiler even if I saw one! Still, I may continue my policy from the past 4 months and avoid this place until after the movie. That seems the safest way to avoid all spoilerish material.

20. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I guess the best solution is to divide the non-spoiler forums into two sections, much like the smoking and non-smoking sections of a resturant.

While I don't share it as strongly as some, I do appreciate the desire to not have my AotC experience ruined by giving the whole story away. It's just that I think we need to take on some personal responsibility for what information we share about AotC. That means, "spoiled"...respect the wishes of those who don't want to know yet. And "spoiler-free"...allow those who only want to hear small pieces of info from "official" sources to do so without casting them out into the cold cruel world of movie gossip.

21. C-3P0

Apr 20, 2001
    I voted in this non-spoiler poll because I am an active member of the JC, and I don't want the Hard Core Spoiler Free people to dictate what happens on every other forum except AOTC (Spoilers), and Episode III (Spoilers).

I want to talk about toys in collecting, or a magazine article about Hayden in the JCC.

Unless only this board becomes HCSF, it is absolutley fair for spoiler hounds vote in this poll.

The idea that 15 people voting yes can change policy on the entire Jedi Council Forums is completely unfair to the other 500+ regular posters who come here every day.

C-3P0

22. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    You know, this means that I won't be able to discuss AOTC at all anymore on these boards. I'm not spoiled enough to go into Spoilers Allowed, but at the same time I like discussing new official information. Can't we have a thread or something that's for the people to discuss official info (and keep everything in that thread)? If it can't be done, then I won't be coming back to this particular forum.

23. C-3P0

Apr 20, 2001
    As long as only this forum is going to be affected by changing non-spoiler policy, you may discount my vote.

24. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Did someone just say something?

25. Jedi Without a Cause

Jedi Without a Cause Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2000
    I think the seperate threads are a good idea, but now what do we do with this holonetnews thing? It's already started to pop up in some of the other threads.

-JWAC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.