main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Re-emergence in comics

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by FlareStorm, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I've noticed renewed interest in comics. At first it was subtle, like an under budget movie here or there, but it's now more mainstream. What brought this to my attention recently is the YJCC. There's one or two threads on the front page about characters or content. Even if it's just Guy vs. Guy, it's way more that five years ago when it was semi-childish to even talk about this stuff.

I've been around town and seen people with shirts with Batman or Superman or Flash logos on their shirts. Just a few years ago, well those shirts didn't exist other than something you wore as pajamas. And the fact that people even wear Flash logos at all is mind boggling. Nobody knew who the Flash was when I was growing up. This forum is here and the current Marvel and DC threads are so popular is another point.

I find it...odd. Always been a superhero fan, but I am a 80's child. Back then it was a secret, it made you a wierdo. Now its more mainstream and I find it odd.

I'd really like to see a graph on sales of comics, overall and by title, and see how they are affected to events like the Fall of the Berlin Wall, 9/11, etc.

Overall, I get this vibe that they are more mainstream. More so than because we can do cool movies about them now, more like people want them.

2. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    They come and go in popularity every decade or so. Personally I thought their popularity was on the way out. After the X-men and Spider-man movies hit there was a huge surge in acceptance. I think what you are seeing is just the bandwagon riding out the wake in it being less popular again. Which is a good thing because instead of flooding the market with garbage perhaps the big companies will focus on good stories and interesting character arcs.

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Like Spiderfan said, I think the X-Men and Spider-Man movies helped the comics industry as a whole, immensely. But personally, over the last 5 or 6 years, I've seen it as more of an acceptance of "geek" culture as a whole. With the PT and LOTR leading the charge, there was a time when geekiness was popular, but it looks to be on the decline. More comic movies have made it mainstream and more adult titles like Sin City or V for Vendetta being made have proven to the public that comics aren't just for kids. I think that's the key here. Comics have always carried with them the connotation of solely being kids books. Lately they seem to have shaken that false impression.

4. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Didn't think of that, LOTR and such. Its just general Fantasy and Science Fiction in general thats getting a spike? Look at BSG, Smallville. Maybe.

Why do you say 'on the decline?'

I'm not looking for an argument. I'm just saying that it's really cool. I've always felt like a minority for liking this stuff. But I stuck to it because it's what I liked. Now it's gained mainstream momentum and I feel like, more important or something. Hard to explain.

5. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Well popularity follows trends. Once the powers that be catch on to what the public seems to like via ratings and box office numbers they try to hone in on that market and suck every last cent out of it. Geekdom is the current trend, but even geeks are getting tired of it. they will continue to do all that they can to make as much money out of it, but the market has been over saturated with so much garbage that people are getting sick of it. The risdual wake may last for a few more years but I think the drop off in popularity will begin to decline.

Geeks disgruntled attitude towards the abuse of our favorite franchises seems to be ever more vocal and I think support is already wavering.

6. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    The only reason I say decline is because it will never be as popular as it was when the PT and LOTR were both being released.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.