Re Jedi-Nat Meet - PLEASE READ

Discussion in 'North' started by go-away, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. go-away Jedi Master

star 4
    Is anyone going to this who is not going to TENCLO?

Just that York is a very unpractical location given that Lincoln is nearby to TENCLO and Nat has to travel back to London again in the evening.

Just me making a suggestion - tis Jedi-Nat's meet, but moving location may make life easier for everyone.
  2. Lord_Ogli Force Ghost

star 4
    You suggesting having the Sunday meet in Lincoln?
  3. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    She is. Partly because there are few trains going from Sleaford on Sunday morning without more than one change (I just checked), and they take 2-3 hours to get to York. Nat has to get back to London from York on Sunday night, never a good trip I'd say in terms of availabillity. So maybe since we are 30 mins from Sleaford - Lincoln on the train, doing a trip to there, and everyone heads home from Lincoln in evening. Lincoln has as much history as York it seems, I got the brochures in post last week. And I guess I'll have to stay over in York or Lincoln whatever the case, I won't be able to get back to Southport from Manchester after 9pm ish - on my route back.

But it'll be down to Nat, looking at times, she isn't gonna get so much in York before she has to head back, and the only definite people travelling to York who aren't coming from TENCLO is Caroline and hubby. No one else has confirmed. I am up for York or Lincoln, we;ll just get more time in Lincoln so she can see somewhere.

I am in process of working out taxi for Nat and I anyways, from Sleaford to TENCLO and back again on Sunday, seems the only way we can do it.
  4. Lord_Ogli Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeh, though what site you lookin on for train times. I've found some on thetrainline.co.uk that weren't onn the national rail one.

On that site we can get into York for 11:30. Can't see us having the meet much earlier than that, though I'll go with whatever Nat wants, makes no never mind to me really other than knowing my way round York better.
  5. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I am using thetrainline.co.uk

And yep, I found same one - York for 11:30am (one change), but if you are drinking night before at the aftershow party, u can guarantee getting up early? We'd need to be leaving before 9am, I'd get a taxi for Nat and I, you'd have to get one for the people with you I guess.

After that train it's two changes for all later trains and we'll have even less time, I need to check York-London times for her getting back, can't have Nat stranded, I am making sure she is sorted before anyone else. I have to be stay over where-ever, gonna be an expensive weekend. It's a Sunday, trains are pants.
  6. Lord_Ogli Force Ghost

star 4
    York-london is a main line, trains going quite late I expect. Anyway, the getting up ain't a problem for me, I can have a heavy night out and be up and ready for work no probs, and I don't plan on getting mashed at the TENCLO after-show so I'll be fine no matter what. Its you oldies that we gotta be sure can take the pace :p

EDIT:

York takes only an extra 20 mins than train from Lincoln to london, but it has more options for time. Also York is direct, Lincoln would require a change.
  7. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm tee-total Chris, I doubt I'll have problems.

I'll let Nat know about this option, see what she decides, not gonna be much fun if she only gets a few hours in York tbh. I'll book into my hotel (if it's York) when we get there, guess we can use that as a dumping ground for people's stuff.

Edit: Lincoln ain't so hot either then. Like I said, I'll let her know then she can decide what to do, but changing on the way home is not good for her.
  8. Lord_Ogli Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeh, I hate having to change when I'm on my own, must be worse when you're not even in your own country. What ever we decide looks like we'll be ok on the getting up front, Nat, Leigh and Sarah ain't big drinkers and I don't plan to be going nuts.
  9. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    No worries, down to you if you go mad or not, just from experience I try to make sure I have my own travel plans when drinking is involved.
    Nothing from Nat yet, so far we stick with York.
  10. jedi_master_booth Jedi Master

star 3
    Lets stick with York As its Not a good idea to chance things at last moment just because its easyier
    york is easy to get to for all in the North - and with it being on a main train line from london

11. Jedi_Nat Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm here!!!!! I finally managed to get connection to the net!

I do not mind staying in Lincoln, if that's what people want to do. I am going to York with my parents as part of the Britrail pass we have, so I'm going to York at least once. I'm not fussed, as long as I get to meet s many of you as I can.
  12. go-away Jedi Master

star 4
    If you are seeing York already then it may be good to do Lincoln then you get to see another bit of British history.

Re Traveling back to London. There's one change at Newark.

EDIT btw this is my 1000th post :D
  13. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    Lincoln is a lovely city, but personally I think this should be sorted out between Ogli (CR) and Nat (the person the meet is for)

It will be cheaper for all to go to Lincoln as people are there already. Plus I can go to Lincoln :p

But I will be on no way offended if people go to York, as that was the original plan.

But the decision should be made sooner rather than later.
  14. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I have just been on the trainline.com again, checking times and I think we all missed something very important lol.

I checked for Sleaford - York and Sleaford - Lincoln.
    York as we already know is a 9:30am train then it gets messy, but the Sleaford times looked great - 30 mins and no changes. Then I checked the date I was getting for those times (had put in 10th Sept Sunday) - the times are for Monday, I tried getting earlier times, to no avail. It jumped to 9th. The only thing I can work out then is there are NO trains between Sleaford and Lincoln on Sunday.

Please someone go check the site too, see if I am going loppy lol. If this is the case, we are back on to York. I need to know ASAP if we are going to York, since I have to book a hotel for Sunday night. Ogli, since it's a North meet with Nat, we need a decision sharpish but you also need to ask Nat since it's her day out. Can you do that please?
  15. go-away Jedi Master

star 4
    Aye, see what you mean. I put in Sunday on the National Rail site and it looked hunky dory. Just checked, because there are no trains, it's given me Monday times and tbh, it's not exactly noticeable!! Would have been better to say "no trains, tough" rather that give another day. Stupid thing :p
  16. Lord_Ogli Force Ghost

star 4
    I just checked and I get times for Sleaford to York on sunday morning so I donno what you're doing wrong. I'll tru giving nat a ring later to confirm, though I know what Jenny says she will deffo be at the meet if its in York and Suzy is still a maybe, But as Hal said its really up to Nat, the meet is for her.
  17. go-away Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow, you read our posts well :p

Trains from Sleaford to Lincoln are a problem not York ;) So York it probably is still gonna be.
  18. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thinks it's a case of shoulda gone to Specsavers lol ;)

As Caroline says, we were talking about getting to Lincoln from Sleaford Chris. And therefore discounting Lincoln via train, as there is no service.

Two new updates, one good, one a spanner in the works (big time for me really, but affecrs other British rail travelling people).

Rang a taxi firm up to sort Nat and me on Sat to get from Sleaford to Cranwell. Was quoted £9 about, which is fine, what I expected.

Sunday morning, because I doubt we can get a lift from anyone, and I am guessing the plans you were doing Chris to get us from Cranwell to York aren't happening, I asked the same firm about taxis on Sunday morning - they have one guy on in the morning, it may be busy so we'd need to book in advance, and we could get a multi-seat thing - he reckons about £15 to get to Sleaford in that from Cranwell - for the early train. So that's all good.

Now for the spanner.

I went to get my train tickets (and have returned with none).
    Since this would be Southport - Sleaford (Sat - single tkt), then Sleaford to York (Sun - single tkt), then finally York to Southport (Mon - single tkt), looks fairly ok. Now for prices. Note these are all single tkts.

Southport - Sleaford (Sat - single tkt) ~£40
    Sleaford to York (Sun - single tkt) £12.50 (pre-book) / ~£30 on the day
    York to Southport (Mon - single tkt) ~£35

I asked at the station, while I was booking, so I won't be able to go elsewhere and get cheaper. I am giving the lower estimate.

I know I was ok to spend some going to meets, but I can't afford that much. This is mainly because of getting single tickets, and having to go to two different cities. Only way I could do this weekend (I promised Hal I'd be at TENCLO, and Nat to meet her) would be to miss out York, and maybe just get a return to Lincoln, hopefully find a bus down to Cranwell (or taxi as worst case scenario). So I may have to drop out of the North meet. But tbh, Nat is gonna face the same prices Sleaford to York and I know she's on a tight budget now. And she'd have to get a single London - Sleaford, then a single Sleaford to York, and a single York to London, it's gonna cost a bomb. I'd suggest she does London - Lincoln return, but I have to check Lincoln to Cranwell now, see how much we are looking at.

Remember you are all breaking your journey up somehow, no one is coming direct York to Sleaford and back, so the similar costs will occur. It's the Cranwell location that is causing trouble. We have to work out a better solution for a meet on Sunday, but I'll drop out if need be, I don't mind.
  19. ninja_noodlehead Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hi all!

just 2 say, me and suzy will be coming if the meet is in york, but licoln is a no-go.

just 2 let u no.

Bye agen!

Jenny
  20. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hi Jenny, it's down to how much Nat can afford now I think, the prices I posted will be similar to what Nat is looking at unfortunately, unless she can find otherwise. We have to break the journey for the TENCLO meet, it not being a straight return makes it so much more expensive.

If at the end of the day, I bow out so that Nat can see you two up in York (I'll be seeing her at the TENCLO meet anyways), that's all fine ;) So maybe that is the answer if she still goes to York.

Nat did say she is coming to York another day too, maybe she could meet you then? I guess it would be during the week.
  21. Lord_Ogli Force Ghost

star 4
    Actually tim it'd cost nat £50 odd to get a return and the same to go London - Sleaford - York - London. Bit late to ring now, got out of work late so I'll try her in the morning.
  22. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    If so, then Nat comes with you lot to York ;)
    I stood for 30 mins at the train desk today working out the cheapest route, the lady had access to British Rail computers and quoted me prices. How can she get a return btw - her journey will be in three legs

London - Sleaford (one day)
    Sleaford - York
    York to London

She can't get a London-York return, since she is going to Sleaford. It will all be singles won't it? However if she books in advance for a specific train, she may get discounts.

Oh, ringing Nat - she is on an Aussie phone, any idea how much it'll cost you, and also her since does the usual "charge when you are abroad" work with her phone as it does with ours? Maybe be best to text her first to see how much it will cost ya both.
  23. go-away Jedi Master

star 4
    Aye watch those bloody roaming charges - they are a nightmare for mobile users, bah!

Can book the Advance 4 tickets for specific trains. Makes it a lot cheaper but means you can't miss your train. Although I've gotten away with it once or twice, but some of those train managers can be total cretins.

EDIT: Since we are in Lincoln for non-TENCLO event on the Sat and staying over, we won't be coming to York on Sunday :) Had to make a decision on it and since I'm relying on someone else to do the driving on his birthday, well, went with the less driving choice.
  24. Jedi_Nat Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    As I am going to York already, I think it would be for the best to stay in Lincoln on Sunday. I'm sure there will be heaps to do. For those who would have been going to York, sorry. I think I'm going to York with my parents on the Friday before.

Also, I'm half-way through my trip and totally broke until next Tuesday. I have to really budget my money right now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.