main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RE: MS Update April 10-16

Discussion in 'Communications' started by obaona, Apr 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Discussion on a new banner for the fan fiction forum continues, more information will be forthcoming soon.

Define 'soon'? :D *is really looking forward to banner* :p

2. yodahs-daddy

yodahs-daddy Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    Great update cbjedi :)

I will be watching for the games :p

HAs anything been said about Jedi-MInd-Trcik ?

3. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Yes, please say yes to a Fan Fiction Banner. We have a total of four forums dedicated to Fan Fiction now. We've got even three moderators. I think it's time for a Banner that we can call our very own. 8-}

4. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002

[u][b]New Games Starting:[/u][/b]

A couple of the mods asked permission to run some games where temporary VIPship would be awarded to the winners. Nobody had any objections, watch for some new games to be announced in a couple of different forums.

[hr]
    Could the people that think of the rules and regulations for these games take into consideration that most people don't want to play games that come with losing punishments like 24 hour bans. What idea's have you come up with so far? I'm only curious. [face_happy]

5. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    Also, all mods were reminded of the fact that names that parody other users are generally not allowed.

i'm assuming that 'user parody socks' are ok if the owner of said sock is parodying themself. ...right? (example: i have a sock named 'Mean_PiaS')

6. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    The 24 hour ban only affects the name that signed up for the game. You can still post with a sock. It's really not a big deal.

7. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Has anything been said about Jedi-Mind-Trick

She's taking a break from the boards for now, as she is very busy with RL at the moment.

8. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
  9. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    I think parody names are fine when you have the parody account (within bounds of the TOS of course, no nasty swear words or crudeness).

It's when people start parody names that are supposed to offend or upset other users that we get trouble. We used to have a similar rule about starting threads with other people's names in the title but I'm not sure how far we're enforcing that anymore.

:)

10. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    thank you

11. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    I wish I had a list of problem users just so I could have some leverage around here ;)

12. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    PiaS...
    "i'm assuming that 'user parody socks' are ok if the owner of said sock is parodying themself. ...right? (example: i have a sock named 'Mean_PiaS')"

And don't go off the deep-end with it, either. There's been the cases of people using one sock of theirs to parody or even flame another sock of theirs or spam one of their own threads.

I think if you have a thread where "Mean_PiaS" is sitting there berating "PiaS" then something's probably going to be done.

13. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    Off Site Behavior:

Discussion took place on how much bearing off site behavior should have on how we moderate here at the Jedi Council. Nothing concrete has been decided as of yet.

- Why should the JC have ANY jurisdiction about activities that occur off site? And to anyone? Anything that doesn't happen within the confines of this board itself, i.e. posts, threads or PMs should be completely off limits to the admins and mods here, no matter who complains about off-site activity, as in chat rooms or private e-mails.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    - Why should the JC have ANY jurisdiction about activities that occur off site? And to anyone? Anything that doesn't happen within the confines of this board itself, i.e. posts, threads or PMs should be completely off limits to the admins and mods here, no matter who complains about off-site activity, as in chat rooms or private e-mails.

The debate is primarily geared towards harrassment of JC users off-site specifically BECAUSE of posts made on the JC.

15. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    icon-makers are focusing on replacing/deleting icons of poorer quality, rather than uploading new images.

I hope that the icon I have now is not going to be deleted. :(

16. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    It's not on the replace/delete list at the moment, Stridarious. It looks of pretty good quality to me so I doubt it will in the near future. :)

17. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 21, 2000
    Jedi_Learner - I know of at least one game that's starting - the JC Hogwarts House Cup, which I'm running. It doesn't involve banning for the teams that lose - the winning team just receives colors and a title for 1 week (though they must use their House colors ;) ). Just so you know that there are games that don't involve banning. ;)

18. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Thank you Mara-Jade-Skywalker. Hogwarts? Does that have anything to do with Harry Potter? :confused:

19. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Kit' posted her new index for the Writer's Resource forum in the MS for approval. It was found to be satisfactory and is now in use.

Amidala_Skywalker also announced that she is working remodeling the fan fiction faqs. It is worth noting that there aren't any drastic changes planned, it's just being re-organized for clarity.

About time. Some of those are badly outdated.

Discussion on a new banner for the fan fiction forum continues, more information will be forthcoming soon.

Please let's get that banner soon. Im so sick of this yellow. It would be nice for fan fic to at least have different colors.

20. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Im so sick of this yellow.

Hey! :mad:

21. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    He ment the borads not the color of your name Sapient. :p ;)

Edit: I to would like to see the fanfic forums with there owner banner. I think it would be cool.

22. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    dp4m--It doesn't matter.

No flaming should be allowed on the boards. That's without question. But, when the discussion moves out of TFN/JC, it's not the admin's business at all. If I ran into a fellow poster on the street, someone with whom I had serious differences of opinions about a JC topic, something which we had been debating for a while in the threads, whatever I say to that person or vice versa is NOT the admins' business. Ditto in chatrooms and in e-mails. Just so long as the flames are kept out of here, what business is it of the admin to censor what I say elsewhere?

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    No flaming should be allowed on the boards. That's without question. But, when the discussion moves out of TFN/JC, it's not the admin's business at all. If I ran into a fellow poster on the street, someone with whom I had serious differences of opinions about a JC topic, something which we had been debating for a while in the threads, whatever I say to that person or vice versa is NOT the admins' business. Ditto in chatrooms and in e-mails. Just so long as the flames are kept out of here, what business is it of the admin to censor what I say elsewhere?

This is essentially the crux of the discussion ongoing -- what business it is of ours. Hence "ongoing discussion."

24. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    No flaming should be allowed on the boards. That's without question. But, when the discussion moves out of TFN/JC, it's not the admin's business at all.

If it's people posting PM's out side of TF.net to flame someone. Then I say it's a big no no. PM's are private messages for a reason.

As for other things meh. I don't have any opinion.

25. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    I think if you have a thread where "Mean_PiaS" is sitting there berating "PiaS" then something's probably going to be done.

i'm not one to talk to myself with a sock. but in said hypothetical situation, i don't think anything would need to be done if it's obvious that it's all in good fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.