main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada RE: Navy - humour

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Entil`Zha, Aug 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Entil`Zha

Entil`Zha Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 1999
    WAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHA, IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE IT's TRUE!

2. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    [image=http://webhome.idirect.com/~shmi/greenfrontal.jpg]
    This is sooooo sad. It must be true. :)

3. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    False.
    It's an urban legend - spread around the internet since '96, but a joke that's at least thirty-forty years old.

Apparently this one gets around so much that the US Navy had to put up a page regarding it, just to fend off all the reporters who call for confirmation.

But it is funny. :)

4. Launch

Launch Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Too bad americans have to be so stupid, lol

5. Launch

Aug 27, 2001
    True, very true, But it would have been great if it had of been true, just to prove how stupid the american government really is.

6. Launch

Aug 27, 2001
    sorry, youve got to give me all the rules sometime.

7. Darth_Nemesis

Darth_Nemesis Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 6, 2001
    Ok, I'll hold back what I think about that joke. But is that all you do in this room is make fun of americans. The thing I'd like to know is why do you resent americans so much, are we that much different than you?

8. Launch

Aug 27, 2001
    I dont resent americans, I actually like them more then alot of canadians,

9. Cristalia

Cristalia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2000
    Darth_Nemisis: The reason not much else besides American-bashing happens in here is because certain individuals think it's funny. We already had that argument out, and it didn't seem to change anything, so just let them go on their merry way, and ignore...

Cris~

10. Darth_Nemesis

Darth_Nemesis Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 6, 2001
    Well, why the hell should I let them bash on my country. Sure we have alot of problems in this country, but I wouldn't live any where else but here because it is one of the best countries. I'm sure Canada has just as many faults as America.

11. Launch

Aug 27, 2001
    Im with you all the way!! Places like these made me hate them, and why should they be allowed to dominate the sport of hockey!?

12. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    AT60:
    Point one - I thought you bashed America, not Americans. Regardless, the postings of a handful of Americans on an internet forum is hardly indicitive of the opinions of the entire population.

Point two - What exactly constitutes "Americanization"? Without proper definitions, such statements are empty rhetoric.

Point three - The US economy has been an enormous boon to us here in Canada. Who the heck did you think we were selling all these goods to? As long as the US economy chugs along nicely, we will continue to reap the benefits.

Point four - the lumber industry in the States makes an equally compelling case, which is why the tariff was raised in the first place. The matter has been referred to a third party who will hopefully make an impartial ruling on the matter. But what some fella in Idaho, NY or Mississipi has to do with the softwood tariff is beyond me. Why should the tariff effect your viewpoint of them in any way?

Point five - I like a small military - thank you very much. That we are able to reap the benefits of the State's insane arms build up is a nice side effect that I'm willing to accept. Let's use our tax dollars towards things that are constructive.

13. Launch

Aug 27, 2001
    I guess you both have your points, but everyone has there own opinions, but still, he had no right to come into the canadian forum and say he wanted to nuke us.

14. Entil`Zha

Entil`Zha Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 1999
    Why would we need a military? Why would anyone need a military... it's only there to help increase the general paranoia that we are going to get attacked or invaded

EDIT: Of course the US are dominating the world, they worked for it, they waged war for it and they are still doing everything they can to stay that way. I read in an article that they are only going forward with the Star Wars project to have total control of space around the Earth. Here's the main reason to do all of this: If you can do it, just do it! There's nothing wrong with that, of course I'm not all too please with it, haven't you all noticed that people always like to see something big go down? People hate it when someone else is successful in almost everything, that's the main reason behind all that hatred toward America and I say this: if you can't beat 'em, ally yourself with them

15. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Or make a bigger and better army and wipe them out..

[face_rolleyes]

16. Darth_Nemesis_777

Darth_Nemesis_777 Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2001
    First off it's the same Nemesis as up there, for some reason I got banned and had to put in a new name. But now back to the conversation. You guys don't want an army? What if NATO dies for some reason, you guys would be pretty screwed. Alot of Americans don't like canadians because, they think that you guys think you are better than everyone or they are just idiots. Just like you guys might think the same of us, but youur country has plenty of idiots too. I'll agree America might push there power around sometimes, but were not that bad.

17. Darth_Nemesis_777

Darth_Nemesis_777 Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2001
    ohhhhhhh I'd love to say something about that comment, If it wasn't for the fear of being banned again, Alienacid.

18. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    um, you were banned and your here again thats a banning..

I dont care though so go about what you were gonna say =)

19. Cristalia

Cristalia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2000
    *opens the door*
    Quiet, children. I'm trying to do some work. And besides, what will the neighbours think? ;)

Cris~

20. Darth_Nemesis_HaHa

Darth_Nemesis_HaHa Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2001
    Your such a <profanity removed> alienacid, you really think you can stop me. I did nothing to you and you ban me twice. Go ahead and ban me again I'll just come back again.

EDIT: Heh. He thinks AA has the power to ban. I think I'll leave this post as a memorial to perpetual ignorance.

21. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    This is where we part ways:
    "In addition, I believe a large military is a status symbol in international affairs. It's a symbol of prestige. To be able to flaunt your massive military parades to other countries is a wonderful thing."

I see it as a silly thing. To me it boils right down to two apes sitting opposite one another, pounding the ground with sticks and rocks whilst shouting out all bloody hell.
    The primal signal being clear, "Don't mess with me. I can pee farther than you can."

This kind of machismo is what nearly led this planet straight to the top of the list entitled, 'Planets what have done themselves in with big nasty Nukes'. It is that kind of status symbol that I'm glad we don't have. It's the lack of such status symbol which allows me to plop a big Cnd flag on my backpack and walk round the world without fear of potshots from some other schmuck who wants to prove just how far his own country can pee.

"To use this military to acquire more land for your country is an even more wonderful thing....domination and control over much of the world will be up for grabs. What greater thing than for Canada to acheive that power."

I'm sorry but this one statement goes against everything that I know to be Canadian. Canada is not about armed agression. Canada is not about expansionism. Canada certainly is not about facism of any form.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. I would hope that Canada's place when the global applecart gets knocked all kerfloowey will be to help pick up the apples -- not to grab all the apples it can and run.

22. Launch

Aug 27, 2001
    The fact that both of you have very different veiws, and are both Canadian proves a point. Just because each of you believe what you say is true, doesnt mean everyone will agree with either of you. You're both justified in what you say, because you are entiltiled to your own opinions, which makes Canada soi great. I cant say I agree with either of you 100%, but I certainly do agree with some of the points each of you said. Its good to see you can defend what you say and believe, but you should both try and see it eachothers way, and accept his opinion in the matter, instead of trying to get the one up when the other doesnt have a response. Either way, Im proud of you both for defending your country, even if it was against another Canadian.

23. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    Launch writes:
    "Just because each of you believe what you say is true, doesnt mean everyone will agree with either of you."

Nor should they.
    This is an internet discussion forum. Problems are almost never solved in a discussion forum. Concessions are a rarity. Even reaching an agreement to disagree can sometimes be a monumental achievement. Don't look to the discussion itself for answers, as quite often it's tainted with rhetoric and emotion.

The discussion forum should not be the ending, but rather the launch point, for researching into the matter and forming your own opinions. Most answers are but a few google searches away. Anything else can probably be taken care of with a trip to your local library.

I stated at the beginning of my last post to AT60, that this is where we part ways. This is because we have most likely reached an argument where we will never see eye to eye. I can not be convinced that Canada should become an expansionist/aggressive nation on the world stage. I have the feeling that it would be difficult for me to convince him of the opposite. The best he and I can achieve from this exchange is a draw - an agreement to disagree.

In the meanwhile, we will probably provide each other, and anyone who cares to read these exchanges, some food for thought. Answers are rarely forthcoming, but there will certainly be raised some very interesting and challenging questions. That, imho, is the true value of debate on an internet discussion forum.

24. Launch

Aug 27, 2001
    To be able to use the knowledge you have from the years you have lived is an awsome power. One, with my oh so few years on this earth can not use to is full capabilites, nor can you Im sure. You argue with your knowledge and what you have learned, as do I but with less time to learn, I fall short. Agreeing to disagree can be a beautiful thing, it means though that you must let your self accept what others have to say, and suck your pride up. No one is ever wrong, but no one is truly ever right. Were lucky to live in Canada becasue we are allowed to speak our minds, and have an own opinon seperate to taht of our neighbours. I didnt expect you to agree to disagree, I didnt expect anything at all. But what I would have liked to see is two grown men, who obviously have strong beliefs in what the think to be true, to realize, everyone is right in there own opinion, arguing will not solve it, just bring hostility into they air. Im not trying to be a mediator, for that is not my job, nor one i wish to have, Im just trying to help you see my point, as the two of you have been trying to do with eachother. But if you arent willing to try and understand where a person is coming from, then all is lost.

25. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    Don't sell yourself or others short simply because of age - as growing old is no guarantee of the accumulation of knowledge or wisdom. I've known young teenagers who've displayed far more maturity and wisom than people three, four times their age. All that happens when you grow old is that you age.

"No one is ever wrong, but no one is truly ever right... ..everyone is right in there own opinion..."
    I don't know if I can agree with that. I think we can all agree that the KKK have an incorrect opinion about minorities. I think we can safely assume that those in the Flat Earth Society are quite wrong about the geometric shape of the planet. While some opinions are subjective in nature, there are opinions and beliefs that can be demonstrably shown to be wrong.

I fully agree that everyone has the right to hold an opinion. Nobody should have the right to tell someone they *can't* think a certain thing.

But just as someone has the right to hold an opinion, the rest of us have the right to question it. And this is a good thing. There's an old saying, "I never learned anything new from someone I agree with." By comparing, contrasting and debating one another's opinions we are able to test the validity of our own beliefs and we are able to learn more about the other's beliefs.

I would like to think that AT60, myself and any others who wish to join in, can debate without resorting to ad hominem arguments or needless flames.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.