main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA RE: November/December Agenda and Meeting Thread

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by jedi_master_sal, Oct 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Well, I talked with some people who joined the LotR line party page and they agree that the Loews management is a pain in the arse. One girl had helped to organize a really nice event last year for Fellowship in Boston but she probably won't be able to do that with the Pittsburgh mentality of most working people. Anyway, if Loews keeps it up then our business will go elsewhere.

2. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    That sounds like it might be fun to go to a Pitt game. Any tickets left Fluke?

PS- OSU rocks all your worlds- I've been waiting for YEARS for coach Cooper to leave, and now Coach Tressel gets them to #2 BCS in his second year! Halleujah!

3. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Cooper was an a$$ who tried to run up the score. Anyway, I'm sure there are tickets left. Don't include me in the count becasue I already have season ticketsd, but so far there is, ummmmm, shewski. Is that it?

4. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    Yep- that seems to be it- are you going to the meeting? There is not too much time left in the season, but I am defintely rooting for Pitt to make OSU undisputed #1s this weekend!

5. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Not sure if I can make the meeting yet, but I too will be rooting for OSU to be the only undefeated team soon, but only becasue that means Pitt would have beaten Miami. Although, Michigan has OSU's number in these situations, so it won't last long I am guessing.

6. Lord_Matthew

Lord_Matthew Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2002
    I think I might need directions to the meeting on Saturday
    Can anyone help?

7. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    reply not to the Nsynch thread and the directions I shall proivide ;)

8. Lord_Matthew

Lord_Matthew Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2002
  9. Mrs_jedi_1966

Mrs_jedi_1966 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    if you email me at carrie.welling@traco.com I am sending out a mass email today with directions. Just let me know where you will be coming from

10. RebelDawn

RebelDawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2002
    Um, as you know, I'm still kinda new here. I have a question. I hope this is the right place to post it.

I wonder, how do the meetings and other things that I've read about work?

Hope someone can fill me in. Someday I'd like to be able to attend.

Thanks much.

RebelDawn :)

11. Saberpilot

Saberpilot Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Well, first you get to the place that the meeting is at, at the prescribed time (or early if you're good at being early) and sit down or something.
    Usually we have reports from each council member, or those that are in charge of some sort of project.
    Then, we might bring up new stuff, like did everyone see this or that?
    Socializing & fun afterwards (although the meetings are usually fun! ^_^)

12. RebelDawn

Nov 6, 2002
    Thank you Saberpilot.

But, what are council members and what exactly do they do?

What kind of projects are going on?

The meetings do sound like fun and everyone seems to really like each other.

I still can't get over that I found a star wars fan thing this close to my home. I still have to go 40 minutes away. But, hey, that's do-able ;)

RebelDawn

13. ArgonVesher

ArgonVesher Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2002
    I would first like to say hello and greetings to all who read this forum and are from the Pittsburgh area. I have been hoping to find a group locally ever since I started loving Star Wars and I first heard about this group in May at Celebration II. I have lived in Pittsburgh, well, noerth of the city in Beaver County all my life and hope that I can meet some of you and swap good stories and times from a galaxy far, far away.

I have 2 costumes, 1 Darth Vader and the other Darth Maul that I have worn in the past (both have won awards and have been worn at the rerelease of Episodes IV - VI and Episode I but are in need of repair atm) and I have many many collectible items that I'm working on putting up for display in my new house. I'm having trouble finding room for it all. Anyway, drop me a line some time, I intend on keeping updated on events that you plan on having, I just have been a bit busy unfortunately. Again, hi, just letting you all know a bit about me, I'm just as crazy about Star Wars as the next crazy fella.

14. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    There are a few of us from Beaver County now cool!

15. jedi_1966

jedi_1966 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2001
    Council members are merely the organizational positions of the group that help in setting up the plans and projects the FF is interested in doing/attending.Please know and understand that ALL members of the FF are of equal standing and that no 'one' is above any other whether a council member or any title.Without any/every member,we haveno FanForce.
    As for goings on...well I'm pretty sure there may not be much our FF will be doing with holidays coming up,at least until Jan.although I may stand corrected.But there's lots in store...Jan. we'll have our "Life Day" (our celibration of holidays together),we've also been trying to get a costume/prop making/building "party" together that may or may not happen then.Or if you have ideas/suggestions,please SPEAK UP,let everyone know.Knowing us(?)it just may happen...

16. Saberpilot

May 16, 2002
    How about a saber technique day..?
    *looks at Tom & Master Carrie*
    What do you guys think?

17. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Rebel Dawn,

Let me expound upon the previous answers.

Since the group is growing by a large number, it was decided that we form an organizational unit.

While Tony is right that we all hold equal status, it is necessary to have an organizational group such as the council to keep things running smothly and have someone to be the "official" representatives for the group to the general public. All members however are encourgaed to promote the group... also in a responsible, ethical and moral way.

Here's a basic explanation of each council member's duties:

All council members are responsible for the following but are not limited to: Planning activities, "counseling" with younger members who have questions (and this is about nearly everything not just SW), maintaining an adult and responsible attitude so as to be a good role model.

President (which is Terry/Rox): Maintains the website, manages the meetings. Generally he is the one to speak and has an itinerary for the meeting. (I know this seems short in comparison to other explanations, but a good Pres is able to delegate work, hence the other positions.)

Vice President/City Rep (which is me Sal/Jedi_Master_Sal): Assists the President as needed. If the President cannot attend a function for some reason then the VP is expected to temporarily fill those shoes until the Pres is able to. This has not happened though, so I don't think we have to think about that. As City Rep, is expected to visit other FanForce boards and see what makes their respective groups a success and bring those ideas to council and the group at large. Also, discusses directly with other FF City Reps about the general goings on of FF and again if any good ideas come from that passes these along to the group.

Toy/Collectibles Rep (I'm this too): Gives roughly weekly reports on new toys ie: what's coming out, when, how much, if it's an exclusive. I also personally call those who are looking for something in particular when I find it to 1) let them know where it's at and 2) if they want me to get it for them. (Now this is not a "gift" purchase, so if you say yes, then you are expected to pay for those items at the next meeting unless you choose to arrange to pay for them sooner.) I do NOT scalp, so what I pay is what you pay and this is how it is to be down throughout the group. Collecting is not for profit but for the enjoyment of collecting. If a member does scalp then I personally will not deal with them and I have encouraged others to react the same. This is for fun, not money.

Anyhoo, sorry about that. I get a little passionate when it comes to collecting.

On to the next council position...

Costume and Props Rep (which is Tony/Jedi_1966):
    He is a masterful costume maker who assists, teaches and otherwise helps those interested in making a SW costume and/or prop. Tony brings his experience as a former civil war reenactor (sp?) to this and can fabricate, I believe, anything you may want with regards to SW. Use him, trust me he likes to do it and likes helping people.

Secretary/Treasurer (which is Chris/GreenCat):
    She takes the minutes of the meetings and usually posts them within a couple of days of said meeting for those who couldn't attend but want to know what went on. She also helps to keep the facts straight, pertain to upcoming events beyond just the meetings. As Treasurer (a newly formed position, since we are growing), she handles the money for the group. GC is a teacher within the Penn Hills District and has state clearences. She is a very trustworthy person. In fact, she has taken it upon herself to open a checking account in the name of and on behalf of the group (Star Wars Association of Pittsburgh...S.W.A.P.) and as of our meeting this past Sat (NOV 16) we raised the money to open that account via a raffle.
    She is responsible for paying (using the funds we raise, not her own money) for group activities. In the near future an example will be our table at the spring comicon at the expomart in Monroeville for which will be sharing with

18. RebelDawn

Nov 6, 2002
    Jedi_1966, thank you so much for answering my questions. I appreciate it. I look forward to having a chance to attend a meeting some day. Altho I get the feeling I may be less of a fan than all of you because I don't collect anything and so forth.

Master_Jedi_Sal *bows at his feet* My goodness, what an explanation...but, I think I would like the longer version ;) lol Kidding! Thank you so much for explaining everything in such detail. I think I get a much clearer idea of things now that you and Jedi_1966 have given me some briefings. I am seriously trying to catch on here. I have no costumes. Maybe some day on that also.

Again...thank you both so much!!!

Tina aka RebelDawn

19. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Sal, could you please elaborate on each position a little bit more?

20. jedi_1966

jedi_1966 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2001
    You do not collect,you say...have no costume,you say...neither of these lessen you as a fan,I know I speak for all and say we are very glad to have you here,as you are.There is much more to our "family" than collecting and/or costuming.

21. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    The truth, Tony(Jedi_1966) speaks.

The thing that makes this club great is its diversity.

Some collect, some costume, some play the card games, some write fan fiction. Still others take fencing to get closer to real lightsaber training (nods at Greencat).

And still more are just here to enjoy being around others who have similar interests.

You are whole-heartedly accepted into our group and we look forward to your presence at one of the meetings real soon.

22. RebelDawn

Nov 6, 2002
    You guys are great! <Does a cartwheel of happiness> ;)

I read the EU books, does that count <grin>

Seriously, I'm happier than I don't know what to have found this place.

Fencing, eh? That sounds coolio!

Tina aka RebelDawn

23. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    [Greencat has to throw in her two credits]

Sal & Jedi 66, nice job on explaining what we all do. . .

RebelDawn, if you love the SW movies enough to want to find other SW fans to chat with, that makes you more than enough of a fan!

24. Saberpilot

May 16, 2002
    Meet your fellow EU loving fan, then.. ^_^ Trust me, I'm crazy for literature!

25. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Yeah and I'm cuckoo for coco puffs J/K ;)

So do you have a favorite writer or series of EU.

For me I like the Trawn trilogy and nearly any of the "Tales from" series. I have read many of the others. I found the Lando series entertaining (not well written but still a fun read).

Also, I liked the x-wing series. This series helped to flesh out some of the background characters, for whom some of us have come to appreciate, like Wedge for instance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.