main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RE: origins of palpatine

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by arabiansanchez, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    My friend has informed me that the only area which is a complete no-no in EU is Palpatine's history. Lucas wants to keep him within a veil of mystery.

2. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Yup most liely till after ROTS

3. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    Did I fudge up and post a new topic instead of a reply? :(

Sorry...

4. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Yes you hit post new topic, what thread were you repling too.

5. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Is it important that we know of Palpatine's origins? I like the character the way he is. There's no need for us to learn about him being a mistreated child growing up on Naboo.

6. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I know all about him. George has given him a backstory. It just hasn't been given to EU yet.

7. Darth_Patton00

Darth_Patton00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2005
    Okay, but a far more interesting topic: Yoda's origins! I don't think there are any books out about that. I'd like to see one.

8. neo-dragon

neo-dragon Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2004
    I enjoy much of the EU, but we really don't need to know EVERYTHING about EVERYBODY. I think it's best that some characters such as Yoda and Palpatine not have stories told about their pasts. Every legend or fantasy/sci-fi world needs to have some unanswered questions for people to wonder about, or else it gets boring.

9. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    Yes you hit post new topic, what thread were you repling too.

Origins Of Palpatine. The post basically asked why we don't know about him.

10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Once we know more about the origins of Palpatine and Yoda, the entire saga will have lost much of its allure... :(

11. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    I don't think we'll ever learn either. But I don't agree with it being the Saga's only allure remaining.

12. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    That is crap! Many people said knowing the backstory of the OT (the PT) would ruin the OT. It hasn't. If anything it has made the OT richer. Has knowing how 3PO and R2 first met ruined them in the OT? Some people are just afraid that whatever the EU decides to write for these characters, it won't be the same as what they've cooked up in their heads.

13. An_Aussie_Fan

An_Aussie_Fan Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2004
    According to ROTS Visual Dictionary "records of Palpatine's ancestry, immediate family members, and upbringing on Naboo have mysteriously vanished."
    The plot thickens...
    Is this a cop out to prevent telling this story or maybe it gives way for the story arc of how theese records went missing.

14. g-rett-fett06

g-rett-fett06 Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2005
    I think i heard somewhere that Palpatine killed his sith master, darth plagueis and took his seat of power as the leader of the sith. He has had many more apprentices than darth maul and vader including a guy named darth rage i think.

15. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    g-rett-fett: Where did you hear about Darth Rage? I've never heard of him... Please don't say Supershadow...

16. Blaine_The_Mono

Blaine_The_Mono Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    Darth Rage is a SuperShadow thing I think.

17. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    It was revealed at C3 that Palpatine was ordered untouchable by Lucas. He wants it to remain unknown. Rumor has it he told Stover about Palpatine's backstory but asked him not to use any of it in the ROTS novel.

In addition to Palpatine, I do believe Yoda is on that "better left a mystery" list. There's even an old game card whose production was halted because it tried to shed some light on his origins.

18. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, the card showed Yoda's planet with a statue of a Yoda and a bunch of worshipping Yoda-people.

I've seen the card. I think some actually went out to the public. It was in one of the old Insiders or Topps Magazines.

19. Jaydn_Dra-al

Jaydn_Dra-al Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2005
    Minor history of Palpatine--

Not much is known, but what is known....

Firstly, Palpatine is Darth Sidious (DUH, but we gotta start somewhere....)

Darth Sidious was apprenticed under Darth Plagious, a dark lord of the Sith.

According to Sith Lore (supposedly), there are only supposed to be two Dark Lords of the Sith--A Master, and an Apprentice.

Plagious, who found out how to preserve life, and essentially could live forever (Unless someone killed him, meaning he couldn't grow old, but he's killable), he taught this to Darth Sidious, who promptly kills him.

Sidious takes on many apprentices, three are known--

The Zabrak known as Darth Maul, who is killed by Obi-Wan

The Human Ex-Jedi Count Dooku/Darth Tyrannus, who, for the sake of the movie, I'll refrain from saying what happens to,

The Human Ex-Jedi Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader, who gets killed by Luke Skywalker.

Not much of his history aside from that is covered...

also, I don't want to see Yoda's history, but I at least want to know WHAT HE IS... and I swear, if Lucas states "He's a little green man from Mars", I'm gonna be bashing my head into the wall...

Haha....A long time ago....Yoda's a Martian!

20. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    Rage never existed, its a load of bs made up by Supershadow. Find it for me in any book, comic series, or any other official star wars merchandise, and well talk

21. An_Aussie_Fan

An_Aussie_Fan Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2004
    Where was Darth Plagious mentioned?
    Also i remember reading something that said Yoda was Whill or something but I never took any notice of it because it's not mentioned anywhere else

22. Darthcarpet

Darthcarpet Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2004
    quote Jaydn_Dra-al
    The Human Ex-Jedi Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader, who gets killed by Luke Skywalker.

em cough cough i think it was the emperors force lighting that killed vader seeing as his suit is a lighning conductor

or maybe you mean vader the sith and anakin as seperates?
    use that to save yourself LOL:)

23. luisgv73

luisgv73 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2005
    In another similar thread I remember asking what do you think about Palpatine being born in Naboo (after all he is the senator of Naboo)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.