main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Re-posts

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Micah333, Sep 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Micah333

Micah333 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2002
    Question: Why is posting a previously posted topic so bad? My personal feelings are I'd rather start a new dicussion than hunt for a previous topic, go to the 45th page, catch up on things, and then add to it.

2. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    i usualy go back about 5 or 10 pages and if i dont see it i'll start a new one . the thing is that with 33116 and 1288 topics alot of us have already discused alot of stuff . sometimes stuff gets redundent .

3. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Well the only place you should be really careful about is on the costuming and props board. There many people feel that it is a hassle to go over what they've already disscussed for pages and pages on a post. And you get a chance to see all the different ideas of a person too, so in a way to go to the old thread it is better.

Also with the boards they run better when there is less memory being used. If everyone just creates a new post for every topic then the load on the servers can get pretty heavy. Trust me, you don't want to see how messed up the boards can get. :p

4. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    if there is an old thread that is really long, I say post a new one. When new people see a really long thread, it can be intimidating and nobody wants to go through and read the ENTIRE thread to catch up on EVERYTHING that's been said. Sometimes it's just easier to go ahead and ask in a shorter thread and get your answer.

5. chunk_the_jawa

chunk_the_jawa Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 8, 2002
    but if somebody new starts a post that redundadt then most oldies are gonna be a lot less apt to join in the discusion do to the fact that they have benn there and done that. where if somebody takes the time to read whats been said and then add anything they think is relavent it just shows that theyhave at least put forth the effort to se what other members think before they ask again. Its kind of like when you show a little kids something and explain it to them. after you have done it a few times you start to give the short version and before its over you are just like BECAUSE I SAID SO NOW GO PLAY. where as if the kid was an adult and could take information process it and then add anything it would be a better conversation right?

6. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    well, if I come on here and see a 5page long thread, I'm not near as likely to read it to see what it's about. I'll just wait to see what's said about it later.

7. BountyHunter-Firefly

BountyHunter-Firefly Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2002
    People should take time to see whats been said they don't necissarily have to read the whole thread. They should at least read the last two pages of it if they want to know what's goin on. I went through 5 pages of threads picking and chosing the ones I wanted to read. I wanted to read a thread until I saw that it was 79 pages, so I just read the last three pages. It would be the same as having a discussion with several people, with someone standing on the out side, not paying attention, then coming up to you at the end of the discussion and asking you to explain everything you had just talked about again.

Some of the people I graduated with were like that and it drove our teacher insane; at least when I didn't pay attention I never mentioned it to the teacher. LOL.

8. chunk_the_jawa

chunk_the_jawa Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 8, 2002
    thats my point.

9. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Now what Cory said about the post getting long is actually enforced by mods. If it gets to about 200 pages long then they need to start a new thread because technical issues start to pop up and you get more double posts, and things like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.