RE: Talking to Americans

Discussion in 'Canada General' started by JediWarrior, Apr 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediWarrior Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    '...the White Rhinocerous hunt in Calgary..."
    " I fully support Clinton in his decision to bomb Saskatchewan/GillesDuceppe/Bouchard"
    "...Pelting elk with timbits..."
    "...leaving senior citzens on ice floes to die..."
    "Congratulations Paul Martin on you double-double"

And my all time favourite...

******"Now Canada, like all countries has the typical 4 seasons, but many Canadians feel that none of these accurately describe the two months of complete darkness in July and August..."******
  2. JediWarrior Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Mercer: Al Gore is considered a bright man, correct?
    Publicist: Yes, he is...
    Mercer: That's good, so he'd know f'rinstance that Toronto is the capital of Canada?
    Publicist: *shrugs* If you consider that kind of thing important.
    Mercer: Mmm-hmmm

That one was good, just that not only was Gore's publicist ignorant, he didn't even consider Canada's capital to be relevant to the President of the United States!

Perhaps my new fave however is the Canadian anthem...
    O Canada, we live next to the states.
    We lend a hand, to our neighbours to the south...
  3. spoo51 Jedi Padawan

Bah! Your misquoting sickens me! Get the line straight or it just loses everything!
  4. Entil`Zha Jedi Master

star 4
    That was a very funny show... how about our National Igloo for parliament? :)

But the Navy sequence was the best...
  5. Entil`Zha Jedi Master

star 4
    That was a very funny show... how about our National Igloo for parliament? :)

But the Navy sequence was the best...
  6. Entil`Zha Jedi Master

star 4
    Hurray for double posts... I'm having all kinds of troubles since these new upgrades on the boards, maybe my browser can't support java... and I use netscape 4.75... anyway, we shouldn't laugh at our south neighbors ignorance... remember, we are the ones who are 80% less intelligent then the US average citizen and we should be proud of it! hehe
  7. AlienAcid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  8. darthcleo Administrator Emeritus

star 4
    >>
    maybe my browser can't support java...
    <<
    the boards don't use java anyway
  9. AlienAcid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  10. THEREALSHMII Jedi Master

star 4
    We can't have a Parliament Igloo it would clash with our Skydome....the igloodome.
  11. Entil`Zha Jedi Master

star 4
    It's true, it's true, sometimes I get "javascript error" while loading the JC discussion forums!! Don't try to understand, just believe!!! Poor netscape... but way better than Explorer though... anyway, back to our fellow americans, I can't wait to be in my seventies and explore the oceans on a big floating iceberg...
  12. darthcleo Administrator Emeritus

star 4
    LOL!!!

Oh Gosh, I laughed so hard..

Thank you, I needed that :)
  13. Xizor@TheView TFN Collecting, Former IK President

VIP
    star 3
    Hi Darth Cleo!

I think that Canada should be made the Fifty first state. Forget the Puerto Rico nonsense. Let's have a place where we can get a snowball year round.

New Version of Chicken Little......

The Skydome is falling, the Skydokme is falling....

What do you think.

One Yank who learned the majority of the canadian national anthem from going to Cincinnati Reds baseball games ( for some reason we always went when Montreal was visiting.

14. Xizor@TheView TFN Collecting, Former IK President

VIP
    star 3
    If you can get Michigan to go, I'll drag Indiana along :)
  15. darthcleo Administrator Emeritus

star 4
    let's get our hands on Florida, not a snow state...
  16. AlienAcid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  17. AlienAcid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  18. JediWarrior Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Alaska, definitly but Hawaii is maybe not the nicest weather :D
  19. Cristalia Jedi Knight

star 3
    Um...Thrawn. Based on the responses you got, I think she was either ignoring or laughing at you. Or both.

Cris~
  20. Cristalia Jedi Knight

star 3
    *chuckle*
    You know, I don't run around exposing your ignorance. It's impolite. :)

Cris~
  21. TragicLad Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay - the talking to American's bits are funny, but let's be honest with ourselves here.

The common man - American, Canadian, whatever - is woefully ignorant of the world around them. How many natural citizens of this country would actually pass the citizenship test for our nation, were there a pop quiz tomorrow? How many of you can rhyme off the top of your heads the years that the provinces joined our nation? The head of state for our nation - could you name who that is?

While I'm sure we all know plenty about the culture and issues of the states, how much can any of you honestly say about any of our other trading partners. Our number two trading partner is Japan. Honestly now. Without consulting a search engine or reference material, would you be able to correctly give the names of Japanese politicians or parties? Could you correctly identify landmarks and locations in Japan?

If a Japanese reporter were to ask with a straight face, "Prime Minister Baka has decided to do away with the traditional Samuraii gaurd", would you know it to be bogus?

Should people know more? YES!
    However, rather than squandering a resource such as this forum on mocking Americans for not knowing about us - mayhap we could use it to teach them about us, and maybe learn a little about them and everyone else in return?
  22. THEREALSHMII Jedi Master

star 4
    Why go as far as Japan? If we want to expose Canadian ignorance, ask the average Canadian about our next door neighbours. You know, Greenland? If the same questions we tossed at us as were tossed at the Americans only we had to answer about Greenland, could you have answered? How much does the average Canadian know about them?
  23. TragicLad Jedi Master

star 4
    Forget Greenland.
    Would you believe that there are folks in Canada today -- natural born, been here all their lives -- who do not realize that NewFoundLand is part of the country?
  24. darth_flirt Jedi Master

star 1
    I know what you all mean!! In one of the ones mentioned above (The Canadian State One) a kid's mom says that it's bad that Canadians don't respect their own state heritage (or something like that) and her son says, "But mom! Canada has provences, not states..."

25. TragicLad Jedi Master

star 4
    Admiral Thrawn writes: "The geographical distances between Canada and Japan and the United States and Canada are very different."

Okay then. We'll ignore political and economical ties then and focus strictly on geography.

Without prior reference to a search engine or other reference work, tell us all that you know about Greenland. What is their political system? What is their culture like? What are their favourite tv shows? Do they have tv's? Tell us all about 'em. After all, they're right next to us. A lot closer to Canada than - oh, Texas or Louisiana or most of the southern states.

The press from Greenland are standing in front of you and are asking, "the reindeer exports have dropped over the last year and is concerning many professional hunters in the Disco Bay area." Would you know if this is bunk or not? You've got five seconds to answer. Don't make us all look like idiots in front of the good people of Greenland.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.