Canada RE: Talking to Americans

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by JediWarrior, Apr 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cristalia Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Hmm..so, Thrawn, I see you've conducted a study on the average intelligence of a country with hundreds of millions of citizens...by talking to one person in an internet chat room who was pretty obviously employing the smile-and-nod technique. This is probably just my opinion, but you seem to be embodying rather nicely all the "virtues" that you're mocking in others. Maybe you should engage in a little self-examination before you go raining on someone else's parade...that's all.

Cris~
  2. Cristalia Jedi Youngling

star 3
    AOL? You mean a rabidly patriotic individual like yourself would actually utilize the services of an American company? Shocking. Disturbing. Appalling.

I don't know if anyone has really gotten the point across to you here. Mocking other people is NOT FUNNY. Laughing at others for stereotypical attributes due to their nationality, race, religion, etc. as you are doing with Americans is not a joke, it's called bigotry. At least in my little world, self-respecting people don't engage in it. And besides, I'm pretty sure it's against the JC Code of Conduct. Which means you're putting yourself in a rather precarious position; you're setting yourself up to be banned for flouting what really is a simple board policy.

Now I'd love to get to know you as an individual, instead of a one-man holy war against all that isn't you. So, let's start fresh here. I'm now forgetting the impression that your previous posts have made upon me. Tell us...how did you get into Star Wars? What do you do with your time? Where do you see yourself in ten years? Trilogy purist, or do you read EU? How did you find the board? What's the meaning of life as you see it?

Take it from there. And feel free to ask any of these questions, or others, right back. After all, we're all here to get to know others and make new friends, right?

Cris~
  3. Entil`Zha Jedi Master

star 4
    Cristalia:

The above comments made by Thrawn60 were taken from a TV show, Rick Mercer, the guy asking the questions, really asked those questions to a few Americans, of course, it was edited so that the most stupid examples could be shown on TV! Don't take it too seriously, it's just a crazy canuck way to get back to the Americans for all those "about" and "eh" jokes we hear all the time!! No harm done, plus it's in Canada General Discussion! :))
  4. epic_the_ewok Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Since AA hasn't responeded, I'll use my quasi-admin powers to answer your questions...*looks into quasi-crystal ball*

Tell us...how did you get into Star Wars?
    He watched it on VHS, but wasn't 'hooked' until the SE. He finds it a good way to get to know people on the web

What do you do with your time?
    Perform acts of mucho bravado, fool with computers, wear black, try to appeal to cyber-ladies, quote AYBABTU

Where do you see yourself in ten years?
    Dead, result of a gang war.

Trilogy purist, or do you read EU?
    Trilogy Purist

How did you find the board?
    Stumbled across it while looking for good SW sites about a year ago.

What's the meaning of life as you see it?
    Basically to have a good time, play around with computers and get drunk.
  5. Cristalia Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Entil'Zha: I'm aware of the 22 Minutes special. I watched it. It was somewhat amusing. However, this has turned into a much broader issue.

The point I was trying to make is that this has gone a little too far than is really reasonable. Initially, it was a little funny, but this thread has really just degenerated into a fairly stereotypical American-bashing session. Maybe that would have been a little okay (to elaborate on this would get us into a debate about national identity), but when forum members go out and pick out targets online then we know it's gone a bit too far. First off, it creates a discriminatory atmosphere in the board (which we want to be welcoming), and secondly, it's immature. In our varied lives, I'm sure we have better things to do than put down others. Comments such as "'Everybody should have a Navy.' - Another dumb American" and "I refuse to believe that the average Canadian is as stupid as the average Yankee" cross the line between funny and enter into bigotry. Far be it from me to deny anyone their form of "fun", but I'm also not prepared to allow blatantly prejudicial comments go unanswered, lest silence be construed as agreement.

Cris~
  6. THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The Americans are bashing us? In what thread?
  7. Entil`Zha Jedi Master

star 4
    At least they know that the world is not flat anymore :) That's a good start! hehe, no, but being serious, it's only a portion of the American society that needs a more thought system of education, not that ours is any better.
  8. Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus

star 4
    Hi there Admiral,have you ever taught of joining the ranks of the 501st??? ;)

now seriously, as your RSA, and friend of DarthCleo, I can tell you that you are probably right, if the americans were really bashing on us the thread would be gone in the 15 minutes following it's posting.

But you know what, To me, Americans are like sith, they overkill eachother. best way to get rid of them. don't say a thing, and let them kill themselves.. then we can expand canada a couple of acres to the south.. ;)

so what do you think, are they really worth waisting your time in writing a message to them???

your RSA, Sebastien
  9. Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus

star 4

now seriously, as your RSA, and friend of DarthCleo, I can tell you that you are probably right, if the americans were really bashing on us the thread would be gone in the 15 minutes following it's posting.

But you know what, To me, Americans are like sith, they overkill eachother. best way to get rid of them. don't say a thing, and let them kill themselves.. then we can expand canada a couple of acres to the south.. ;)

so what do you think, are they really worth waisting your time in writing a message to them???

your RSA, Sebastien
  10. Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus

star 4

your RSA, Sebastien
  11. JediWarrior Jedi Knight

star 6
    AT60, you know how many people would swearr that wasn't *actually* a Communist Party of Canada? [face_laugh]
    (BTW: There's actually two of them)
  12. Cristalia Jedi Youngling

star 3
    That was a funny, funny thread. I guess you have to watch B5 to get it, though...
    JediWarrior, thanks for making sure our little boy played nice with the neighbours... ;)

*falls back off her chair laughing*

Cris~
  13. THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan

star 4
    LOL! I went to that thread you posted where Americans were to be bashing us and found we are doing MORE bashing in this thread then they ever did. Everyone thought it was funny but you.

So who's creating the propaganda?

I think you just want to stir the pot and make trouble.
  14. Cristalia Jedi Youngling

star 3
    If you read further in, you'd realize it's a B5 quote:

"If you go to Z'Ha'Dum, you will die. It is the root of all evil. Do not go to Z'Ha'dum..." This is Delenn (I think) to Sheridan. He goes anyways, he does die. Then he un-dies, which brought about me wondering about his panties... :p

Almost everything this guy posts is B5-quote-related. A bunch of people took it semi-seriously, and another bunch of them continued the scene/plotline, and a greater bunch laughed at you when you stomped right in like that and declared your outrage...

...I still can't quite believe that you took the www.standonguard.com thing seriously. I can't believe that you brought in obesity stats when JediWarrior joked about Canada having better girls. I, less humourously, can't believe you turned around and did the same thing you're accusing the American posters of doing to us to the people who live in Antarctica. But...wow. Do you really take it all that seriously? Do you really take yourself that seriously? It's one of the funniest things I've seen on this board in awhile.

...but then again, I guess you really do have to be a B5 fan... :)

Cris~
  15. Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus

star 4
    hehehehe.. quite funny aint it.. there was a board error message from snowball so I posted and posted again untill it went through.. seems it did three times.. :)

so AT60, let me make this a bit clearer for us Star Wars fans, this thread was posted as followed, if you go to canada you'll die.

meaning in his taugh, don't go to Zha'dum or you'll die, it is just as if I said Don't go to Korriban, or else you'll join the dark side.

here is another way of seeing it.

Don't go to canada or else you'll die, said by an american, who is afraid of canada.. WOW they finally admit that WE are the superior ones. ;)

as far as the royal canadian Air Force Goes, I think you just blew it.. did you really had to tell him that we had one.. here's what you should have done.

Well McNerf, why don't you come around flying in a little f-16 over my part of Canada, and we'll see if Canada doesn't have an Air Force.. then you encounter him in the skies, and prove him wrong.. ;)

I think this topic is getting even more delirious by the minute.. :)

Don't you think Cristalia.
    if you ask me, I'd say that they are simply afraid of meeting some people around here. ;)
    (this person know I am talking about H..)

ho well I gotta go take care of some local activities be back in a day or two.
  16. JediWarrior Jedi Knight

star 6
    Cris is wrong!!!

You don't have to be a B5 fan to enjoy that thread... [face_devil] :D [face_laugh]

Oh well...my comment about our women remains true, although it had nothing to do with obesity stats. Just a simple fact ;)
  17. TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Drazi Ambassador: "Captain. We're sorry. We thought you were dead."
    Sheridan (Reborn): "I was. I'm better now"

Just couldn't resist, this being one of my many favorite quotes, and having been on Space tonight.
  18. TragicLad Jedi Padawan

star 4
    And a favourite of my own that seems somewhat apropos to the moment

"We believe that no race can be truly intelligent without laughter."
    -- Delenn to Sheridan
  19. Entil`Zha Jedi Master

star 4
    On the contrary, Babylon 5 is the best sci-fi tv show of our times, my nick name comes from that very TV series.. It's one of the best written story that aired on TV
  20. Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus

star 4
    BOuhouuuu bouhhouu enthil'zha... lol...

sorry, I had to do it. so I hope you'll bring your B5's *ss to the movie with us tonight. ;)
  21. Entil`Zha Jedi Master

star 4
    As we spoke a couple of hours ago Uilmutez, working today and going out after that.. so my B5 *ss will be busy...

And on a historical note to AT60, Star Trek was created many years b4 Star Wars, so it's not a poor rip-off of SW... but Fortunately, Star Wars is way better!!

And Babylon 5 is airing on Space, but the tapes are out in stores and soon, the series will be launch on DVD
  22. JediWarrior Jedi Knight

star 6
    Star Trek holds no appeal to me...but B5 I've seen once, it looked okay. C'mon guys, get me hooked, I need a new obsession ;)
  23. Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus

star 4
    hey Jedi Warrior, try the anime section.. my suggestion, and I know Enthil'Zha will comply with me on this one, Gundam.

and my personnal favorite, Rurouni Kenshin but the 4 hours movie. the series are funny..

and of course.. I think you'll like this last one, Trigun.
  24. Entil`Zha Jedi Master

star 4
    Of course I second the motion on Gundam, but I think you'll get more hooked on Babylon 5.. if you live in the Montreal area, there's a store in the Eaton Centre, on the lower level in front of the food court, named Metro Video. There you'll find the complete tapes of season 1, a few episodes of seasons 2, 4 and 5, it's really worth it. The story revolves around a major build up of characters and different stories that will result in a major conflict during the 3rd and 4th season, what is known as the Shadow War.

Basicaly the two oldest species in the galaxy at this moment battling each other... I don't want to tell too much because it would ruin it... For the moment, the episodes are on VHS, but this month or next month, they are *supposed* to release the first two episodes on DVD, look for The Gathering, where it all began.

- How will it end?
    - In fire.

You can also contact me for more details, always available to initiate someone to B5.

Here are a couple of URL:

www.thestation.com
    www.b5lr.com (for the new upcoming serie, Legend of the Rangers, the Jedi of the B5 universe)
  25. TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan

star 4
    http://www.midwinter.com/lurk -- The Lurkers Guide...

Another great B5 site, IMHO.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.