main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RE: Thrawn Fans Unite!!!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Casta, Jul 8, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PodraceAce

PodraceAce Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2000
    Grand Admiral Thrawn RULES!!!! must i say more? (there isn't much else to say, other than to praise him further...*grins*) He is such a tactical genius; if i was in SW i would join the Empire to just watch him think!!! Its so wierd how he can basicly read his enemies minds and react like he read there battle plans. He knew when he couldn't win tho...something most GA's didn't do.

------signature------

Thrawn rules!!! :)

2. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    I am here as a Thrawn lover and supporter.
    He was the coolest by far because he did the impossible and destroyed Enemies by reading their minds, he wasn't even force sensitive!
    That shows his genius.
    He is also the coolest because of his Non-Human status.
    The first star wars EU villain compared to the Vong of today is a small battle, Thrawn is still better.

3. Supreme Chancellor Thrawn

Supreme Chancellor Thrawn Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 8, 1999
    The Hand of Thrawn duology is superb, even better than the original Thrawn Trilogy, in my opinion. And that's no small aichevment when Thrawn isn't really in it. It just goes to show Zahn's masterful writing skills. Why do I say Thrawn isn't really in it? Becuase he is, only in a diferent form, sort of. Well, you'll get what I mean when you read the series.

Casta, your posts on Thrawn are magnificent!

Survey answer:
    #1 Favorite Thrawn story: Dark Force Rising. My favorite of the Thrawn trilogy, although they were all great. But this one really stood out amongst them.

#2 Should Thrawn come back? Absolutely! The official Thawn is ALIVE fanfic shows him back as we all want. But I'd still love to see him alive in the world outside of fanfic. http://boards.theforce.net/message_flat.asp?topic=170395&replies=175

#3 Favorite Thrawn quote: My sig. See below.

#4 Favorite Thrawn action: The siege of Coruscant. Brilliant planning there.

#5 Reason for liking Thrawn: DUH!

4. Casta

Casta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2000
    Casta the Thrawniac is back.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, *tossing bouquets to various Thrawn lovers*. Again, profuse thanks for your enthusiastic response to my threads. I'm very honored and touched.

Admiral: I'm not as old as Thrawn, that's all I can tell you so far. You'll know later. ;-)

Now time for some Club Thrawn jargons:

Official Club Name: Thrawn Fan Club

Nicknames: make your pick or suggest your own--Phalanx Thrawn (my preferred one), Club Thrawn, etc.

Fans: We are Thrawnees/Thrawniacs

Slogans: We have enough rhetoric, no need to worry.

*Thrawn Club Halloween Project*:

Dear Thrawnees, may I suggest, that we all dye our skin light blue, hair blue-black, sport red contact lenses and a sleek, ironed white Grand Admiral uniform. Then we'd go trick-or-treat on the cybernet in name of Thrawn and slit the throats of Noghris if it's convenient to do so.

5. Casta

Jun 23, 2000
    Superweapon Lightweight

Our favorite Grand Admiral absolutely hates wielding superweapons. As do we. Sure, superweapons are super-cool in movies for dazzling visual effects, but it is just one big blunder and a not so very tasteful judgment from a tactical view point. Thrawn's qualms with superweapons large come from the lack of flexibility in them. His combats were constantly in motion. Case in point: By conventional military wisdom, Star Destroyers are used as mobile siege stations. Thrawn ignored the rule and utilized his pet Star Destroyers in numerous hit-and-fade missions while successfully accomplishing the goals. The battles were destructive, quick and intense, reminiscent of the German blitzkrieg. So we come to the aspect of hyperspace jumps that are needed sustain such frenzied attacks. Once again, Thrawn neglected common sense and planned hyper-space jumps in a spot near the mission target, over a short distance with great risks of getting lost. Ergo: Mobility is the mantra.

Tharwn's ideal combative structure is not to match power against power with the New Republic, which is a move in vain, but to use minimum amount of resources efficiently combined with clever, flexible tactics to hit the target at lightning speed and achieve the goal amidst the chaos. Believe me, superweapons never work in this kind of situation. Look more carefully, none of Thrawn's ships or arms have the prefix "super" attached to it. No Death Stars. No Super Star Destroyers. Screw the super laser. Brute force has proven to be out of his favor at the very beginning. He does have tools, and in fact, there's a great variety of them--Star Destroyers, assault shuttles, spaarti cylinders, cloaking shield, etc. This is where Thrawn's ingenuity comes into play. First, tools over weapons, functions over effects. Weapons are mainly intended to thwart or destroy, while tools are springboards toward fulfilling the goals. The pre-Endor Empire was quite foolish in thinking using various super weapons to ANNIHLATE the rebels directly, instead of opting for a range of tools that would EVENTUALLY achieve their final GOAL of liquidating the Rebellion. Second, diversity. Various tools and various combinations generated provide sufficient help for a task force. Need I say more? Doing the right thing at the right time. There is not universal solution for all.

Which leads us back to superweapon. The Empire largely built it for a quick, destructive mean against their opponents, hoping it can solve all the problems once and forever. Superweapons are mostly massive, imposing and powerful, quite fit for the simple-minded. You put hundreds of thousands, or even more, people on one single battle station, if you lose the station itself, that means you can also brace yourself for a group funeral. Once some whiny rebel rat blew the whole thing up--au revoire, Death Star. It's inflexible, and a mere boast of power. And I'll be deeply mortified if Thrawn had come up something with that.

6. Casta

Jun 23, 2000
    To be more exact, Thrawn really reminds me of two bright German generals during WWII, one is Erwin Rommel and the other Gudrien.

Rommel was largely known for his battles done with Afrikan Korps. He was cunning, bright and nicknamed as "desert fox". Actually, when the Allies were going for Normandy, Rommel was the only top-profile general who thought that and set up some defenses, though he neither had enough time or materials to complete, thanx to our Furher.

Gudrien--all right, he gets the lion share of credit in Blitzkrieg. He was the one who invented the idea of grouping tanks and various mechanical combatant forces into one single unit and it proves to be efficient and powerful. His idea was something equivalent of the Phalanx, the Marcedonian square formation, etc.

7. Casta

Jun 23, 2000
    Thrawn fans seemed to have been chased all the way to the Unknown Regions, never heard from again.

All right, some question to ask.

1) How old was Thrawn by the time he died? I estimated him as being no older than 60.

2) Does he have a family back on Chiss? I've heard some rumors that Thrawn has a daughter.

3) How smart was Thrawn EXACTLY relative to the average Chiss who is intelligent?

8. Casta

Jun 23, 2000
    Ah, all the Thrawn fans seemed to be on the hunt for the Katana Fleet.

9. Dark Jedi Tam

Dark Jedi Tam Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2000
    I'm here!! I'm here!! *trips over a box of little Thrawn action figures on her way in* DOH! Who's to say that the Chiss have the same life expectancy as humans? I would think they would live a lot longer, maybe two hundred years, perhaps longer. Now as for Thrawn having a family, I'd like to think of him as a single guy. He doesn't seem to be much of a family man given the information we have on him. He has this very strict military lifestyle, and I don't think having a family would be his number one priority. He's more interested in power. Although, if he did have a wife and kid(s) back on his home planet, that would be quite a twist. Or maybe he did have a wife, but she divorced him after he was exiled. :p

How smart would Thrawn be to the average Chiss? Well, given there are some Chiss who are brainless (think Spiker), and that most Chiss are quite endowed when it comes to stratagy, I think Thrawn's intelligence level is considered Genius. He's had nothing but military upbringing, plus he's resourceful and cunning. I mean come on, how many people can observe a species art and then know what military tactics to use against them?

10. Casta

Jun 23, 2000
    Thrawn the family man is hard to imagine....if he's still single, Thrawn still might have a shot of being the most eligible bachelor in EU. :p *gasp* If Chiss is like a feudal society, I consider that Thrawn might have already married in late 20s, and the marriage is a pre-arranged one. You know, noble families do this kind of mariage arrangement at birth.

Thrawn is smart....I don't need to say more....

11. Dark Jedi Tam

May 12, 2000
    I wonder what our dear Thrawn thought about that. I thought somewhere in the EU it did say they had pre-arranged marriages. But then I haven't read all the EU with Thrawn info anyway so that is a guess.

Course, that would raise a few more questions like how long would he have been married? Maybe he was exiled just shortly after marrage or something. I would think that his wife would have felt disgraced from her husbands actions on Chiss (I'm guessing that is what they call there world).

Wow, I'm just noticing that I'm making a lot of stabs in the dark here. *stab* There I go again...

But then I wouldn't mind at all if he was an elegable bacholer. *smiles* I'm always looking for a guy who loves art and has glowing red eyes. ;)

12. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Survey answer:
    #1 Favorite Thrawn story:
    Tales From the Empire: SIDE TRIP 1-4. Thrawn disguised as Jodo Kast! He is master of diguise as well!

#2 Should Thrawn come back?
    Defianetly!

#3 Favorite Thrawn quote:
    "Why, the only puzzle worth solving, of course. The complete, and utter destruction of the Rebellion."

#4 Favorite Thrawn action:
    Side Trip: When he (Jodo Kast/Thrawn) and Corran Horn were on their way to rescue Hal Horn and a couple smugglers from Black Sun's 2nd Lt. Zekka Thyne; Thrawn, out of the blue, talks about art with Corran Horn!

#5 Reason for liking Thrawn:
    Must I name them all?

#6 If Thrawn comes back, who should his second in command be?
    Pellaeon of course. Or Parck or Niriz

#7 Should Thrawn play a role in bringing about the defeat of the YV?
    Yes, he doesnt have to directly be involved in the war against the Vong. He could advise the Rebellion and the Imperial Remnant on what to do against them. Then again he could come out of no where and save the Rebellion's and Imperial Remnant's butts like the Chiss Imperium (Thats what I call the forces of the Hand of Thrawn) did in RUIN.

#8 If Thrawn comes back, should he die again, or stay alive like Daala?
    STAY ALIVE!!!!!!

#9 How old was Thrawn by the time he died?
    I did estimate him to be over 60 to 80 years old. But then I read theForce.net's UnOfficial Completed Encyclopida and it said he was over 100. But then again, I noticed that Encyclopeida was screwed up big time.

#10 Does he have a family back on Chiss?
    If he does, I hope they are as smart as he!

#11 How smart was Thrawn EXACTLY relative to the average Chiss who is intelligent?
    Well according to HoT Duology, the average Chiss can be considered very intelligent and that Thrawn was gifted.

Casta- I've always thought that Thrawn was created from bits and pieces of famous tacticians and other people in our history. For Example: Erwin Rommel, Neapolean, Sherlock Holmes (I say, he does seem like Holmes!), and several others that I cant name at the moment.

Mitt- Ok if you are the wife of Mitth'raw'nuruodo and I am Commander Mitth'raw'nuruodo does that make me your husband?? Lol j/k

Course you people would not talk to me anymore if you read my Thrawn Execution story. *cringes* Oh oh oh! YOUD LOVE THIS ONE! Thrawn killed KJA! See why http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=217937&page=7

And did you all know that there are TWO Thrawn Mailing Lists? Yes TWO!
    http://www.egroups.com/group/Thrawn AND
    http://www.egroups.com/group/handofthrawn

There is also another Thrawn site in the making, mine!
    http://fan.starwars.com/AdmThrawn/HandofThrawn.html and it is fitting that it is called the Hand of Thrawn!

There is one non-Thrawn quote I love and it comes from the HoT Duology

The Not So Exactly Quote:(Needs to get the book out of his room)
    *Scene where Pellaeon and Leia are discussing the terms for the treaty*
    Pellaeon- "And the Empire will help in the dismantling of any superweapons that either the New Republic or Empire come across"

Leia- "What about the superweapon you are using now?"

Pellaeon- "What superweapon?"

Leia- "Grand Admiral Thrawn"
    Unqoute the Not Exactly Quote

I LOVE THAT SCENE!!!!! Leia considers Thrawn a superweapon! Lol! Yeah!

I suppose he is one, his mind anyway. After all he nearly defeated the Rebellion if only Rukh hadn't stabbed him.

13. Dark Jedi Tam

May 12, 2000
    We need to start the anti-Rukh club! Down with all Noghri's! How dare they betray the Empire! I hereby declare there be a Noghri Hunting day! Come one, come all! No liscences needed, and there is no limit to how many you can kill.

Nothing really irritates me more knowing that in VotF Mara and Luke decide to kill his clone. Does anyone else think it would be possible that they could convince Thrawn's clone to help the New Republic? Or at least get him to couperate? Or do you think what they did was right?

14. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    What they did was equal to murder. At the beginning they said they wouldn't destroy him but then came the perfect oppertunity to kill him in order to save their pathetic lives and make it, in their eyes, not murder. *spits on a Jedi's grave* Hmph, they call themselves keepers of justice..I call them a mistake

15. Dark Jedi Tam

May 12, 2000
    Dang, I need to get on track and read that duology. Of course I spoil everything for myself and I know what happens at the end. :(

But I agree, from how you explained it, it does sound like murder. I thought Mara was the one responsible for wanting to kill Thrawn anyway. *points finger at Mara* Evil woman, I can't believe she actually marries Luke... but that's another rant all together.

16. Casta

Jun 23, 2000
    Commander Mitt (do I have to say the whole name?), good to see you on the club (sorry, my memory lapse prevented me from further recalling any of your gracious presence on thsi thread!)

Thrawn can't be over 100 years old. He can't. That's too old. From the comics and chronology, I estimated Thrawn to be no older than 58 by the time he died.

Hmm...the noghris....down with the noghris, down with them, we need to persecute them all, hang them all, and strangle them all. What's the best tactis? Shoot some turbolasers on their Wayland settlement. It's time for the Empire to kick some butt. Who is going to start anti-Rukh club? Hurry, hurry. We might still have some time to make some anti-Noghri bumperstickers.

Myself have actually mentioned that the best superweapon for Empire is Thrawn. You can blow up the Death Star, you can't blow up Thrawn's brain unless you want to risk your own neck to assassinate Thrawn.

Gals---I think we are going to be on pursuit for dashing, flamboyant, winsome young Chiss military commanders who resemble Thrawn.

17. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    <SNIP>Thrawn can't be over 100 years old. He can't. That's too old. From the comics and chronology, I estimated
    Thrawn to be no older than 58 by the time he died. <SNIP>

Thrawn isn't human. So he can be over 100 or 1000 for all we know. Some humans do live older than 100 too. I also estimated Thrawn that age by starting when he destroyed out bound flight and added a guess of 20 to 30 years for his childhood and young adult years. But I think,not sure, that Pellaeon discribed him to look no older then 30 or 40. And thrawn had been with the Empire for 40 years. But then again, his appearance could age differently then humans.

18. Casta

Jun 23, 2000
    Commander Mitt, Palpatine only ruled the universe for twenty something years. Luke and Leia were born at the begning of the Empire, by the time they had won the Endor battle, they were 20 something years old. And again, Thrawn is a humanoid. We are still not sure whether the Chiss is an extending species of humans or not.

19. Dark Jedi Tam

May 12, 2000
    The key word is humanoid. Meaning they resemble humans by having two legs, two arms, eyes, ears, walk upright. That doesn't classify Chiss as human. Either biologically or with the aid of their technology, I can see that Chiss would live longer than humans. Which book said that Chiss had excellent night vision? I guess that doesn't matter but it's a point that they very well could be more biologically advanced than humans.

20. Dark Jedi Tam

May 12, 2000
    WHOO! I have a little star now!! :D And I got it here in the Thrawn thread!! Wooo!

Anyway, about that Anti-Rukh club, I'm putting my order in for the T-Shirts! Anyone else want one? It has a picture with a Noghri with a big read circle and slash through it. Oh and Casta, I'll take one of those bumper stickers, I'll place it next to my "I brake for Chiss" bumpersticker.

21. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    I WANT ONE!

The night vision thing was said in one of the SWAJs.

22. Dark Jedi Tam

May 12, 2000
    Ok... I have you down on the order list, CmdrMitthrawnuruodo for that T-Shirt.

Anyone else?

23. Casta

Jun 23, 2000
    How about Noghri voodoo dolls?

24. Dark Jedi Tam

May 12, 2000
    LOL!! I LIKE that idea! Ok, So far we have anti-Rukh T-Shirts and voodoo dolls...anything else I should add to my purchase order? Hats maybe? Tracking devices?

Hmmm we probably should get some T-shirts with Thrawn on them, this is what this thread is about! I'll just order 200 of them so far. Don't worry about the cash, this money is coming from the Imperial treasury.

25. Casta

Jun 23, 2000
    Tam, are we the only female Thrawn fans here? Uh-oh.

Here's a question for all Thrawn fans:

What is your favorite facial expression/pose of Thrawn?

For me, I definitely loved Thrawn when he raised one of those cultured eyebrows. Fatally attractive. Something a female Thrawn fan should definitely die for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.