RE: Thrawn Fans Unite!!!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Casta, Jul 8, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImperialGirl Jedi Knight

star 3
    Nah, ImperialGirl is a grad student who has had way too much practice overanalyzing things. <g> And for those on the Thrawn yahoogroups list, I'm AdmsLady/TIE Pilot over there. Mostly a lurker here at JC.

And yes, Thrawn did (according to TTT) keep the lights in his command room dim. I always wrote that off to something with the art--maybe the holos didn't show up as well in bright light. If his eyes don't have pupils or irises (and I don't think they do--I don't think the cover of VOTF is accurate) then the idea of providing illumination might work. I don't, though, think they're cave-dwellers or anything like that--cave animals tend to be completely blind. (They have some weird cave fish, for example, in Mammoth Cave, Kentucky--no eyes at all.)

It might also have something to do with their star again--a protective adaptation of some sort? The perverse part of me wonders if it might be a secondary sexual characteristic, but I doubt it, since they all seem to have more or less the same kind of eyes.
  2. GrandAdmiralPelleaon Force Ghost

star 6
    oookay...so any of you saw draxy's boards?

http://pub16.ezboard.com/bjamesdraxsobviouscommunitycentreofposting
  3. Dark Jedi Tam Jedi Master

star 4
    *covers her mouth in a vain attempt to not say anything bad about Corran*

You think a Chiss has those mirrors inside their eyes? Kinda like cats do? I know those help absorb more light to help night vision. Wouldn't that be freakish to see, two mirror eyes gazing back at you. I read some where that Chiss have to cover their eyes to avoid their eyes from glowing and giving away their position if they want to hide in the dark. Any source to this or is this some rumor I heard? If that has any bearing, why would their eyes glow anyway? What purpose would that serve?

*thinks about the Corran card and runs of laughing*
  4. Mazzic Force Ghost

star 4
    Thought you Thrawn and Chiss fans would like to know that the Chiss will have a rather large section of the Star Wars Gamer #5 devoted to them. Well, at least in the Exploring Species section or whatever. Includes pictures, I'm sure. :)

According to Gamer #2.

-Mazzic
  5. Calli Force Ghost

star 4
    Thats awesome!

**now will actually have to track down Gamer #5. Has #1 around here somewhere**

Ohh hey AdmsLady! I didn't recognize you w/ that name.
  6. XCountryJedi Jedi Master

star 3
    They probably wear some kind of special goggles when on missions like that. Shades are probably a popular thing on his homeword.

I once tried to dye my hair blue-black last year. It didn't turn out right so I redyed it a red-gold color. Now I'm growing it out. Hmm, maybe I'll buy red lensed sun glasses. ,B )
  7. GrandAdmiralPelleaon Force Ghost

star 6
    WE HAD STARS!

and then they removed them again

grrr this is not funny... :mad:
  8. Anison Jedi Knight

star 2
    *gags at the green, even though it's her favorite color*

YUCK!!! I hope this one passes quickly...
  9. InasneChiss Jedi Knight

star 3
    Actually there's another detail with being something that lives in the dark. People's eyes have 2 differnt kinds of cells. Rods and cones. I can't remember which, but one is for color and one is for black and white. Things that live in the dark have more of the black and white ones and thus are colorblind as well. Cats and dogs, with the mirror thing are actually color blind. And yes, he would be light sensative. Being on the main bridge after a while would probably give him migranes.

Now if this is true for the Chiss then you would be asking "Then how could Thrawn analyze art while he's colorblind?"

He wouldn't loose details, though he would see contrast more in the works. If you photocopied a picture on a black and white copier you will see this. Only problem he'll really have is with the color red. I've played with a copier a lot. Most oof the time red shows up as black or a dark grey so he might have some problems there.

Thing is too...I've figured out Thrawn knew how to predict a species through their art. It's really simple and has nothing to do with brush strokes or whatnot.

10. ImperialGirl Jedi Knight

star 3
    C is for color--cones are the color cells and rods are visual acuity. Humans lose color definition as light fades, but we see detail in sharper relief.

My problem with the reflecting surfaces on the back of the eye is that their eyes seem to be self-illuminating. Cat's eyes only glow in reflected light. Thrawn could be standing in a pitch-black room and there'd still be a glow (at least, as far as I know.) Cat's eyes also only look whited out if you're looking straight at them. From the books, I'd guess you can see the glow of the eyes from the side. (I have a cat, whom I observe a great deal.) And then the glow wouldn't necessarily be red all the time, which, as far as we know, it is.

A tangental idea would be that Thrawn's cones and rods are reversed--he actually gains color perception in dimmer light. (I've also reasoned this was how vampires worked.) Or perhaps both cells simply work better in the absence of ambient light.

What does all this really tell us? Timothy Zahn is a physicist, not a biologist and he thought glowing red eyes would look neat.

And AdmsLady is actually a newer handle than ImperialGirl (or ImpGirl for short.) I actually didn't pick this handle--it was bestowed upon me by my fellow Star Ladies in honor of a rather catchy filk I penned and performed. (Let's just say it involved Madonna and leave it at that.)
  11. Cyclonetrooper Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hmmm... Does anyone here thinks Thrawn takes "onon medical susbatances"? *dodges eggs and tomatoes*
  12. Calli Force Ghost

star 4
    Ok...maybe I'm slow, but whats 'Onon Medical Substances'?

The green doesn't bother me, what bothers me is the pictures they used. Check out the Ewan pic, I swear he looks 3 sheets to the wind. The Leia, 1 just looks weird and Boss Nass looks like he's about to dance. Watto off to the side just cracks me up.

I just painted my fingernails green last night. The color is called 'Emerald City'. Man, I really need to stop listening to Cabaret so much.

**shrugs**
  13. GrandAdmiralPelleaon Force Ghost

star 6
    I'll see if I can find one but I don't think so AT_60 I do have a printout with your username with 2 stars I think... :D
  14. XCountryJedi Jedi Master

star 3
    Do we always complain when they change colors? It looks neat, I just hope they don't keep it this way.

I'm just posting to post. I really don't have anything else to say.
  15. XCountryJedi Jedi Master

star 3
    This is funny: (Quoted directly from Genghis12)

" "You know, for strategies to deal with the aliens?"

GB: On behalf of all Americans, I'm glad you all decided to help. This conference...

P&HD: ...Mofference...

GB: ...Excuse me, Mofference... is entrusted with ideas about a defense plan. Anyone have any ideas...

TZ: I know how to deal with them, send out the Grand Admiral...

GB: There's no such thing as a Grand Admiral...

TZ: Sure, there is, he's just been hiding out in the Unexplored Regions. That's why no one knows of him - there's actually twelve of them, in fact.

GB: Well, we do have a naval facility in Wyoming - that's a region very much unexplored...

CP: He's right sir, that's part of the plan - have these guys just appear out of nowhere...

TZ: Phase two will be convincing the opposition to act really stupid so our man looks like a genius. You know - really, really dumb.

GB: Is that possible?

TZ: Sure it's possible - finally we just need to have them tell us their plan, so we can pass it directly on to the GA. That way, he knows the invasion plot from the creator and since they're all acting really dumb - we'll win for sure.

KA: I say we just have all of us meditate against them. With enough Americans involved, we should be able to fling their invasion force across the galaxy. If that doesn't work, we nail them with the "big one." A weapon so massively powerful, it's able to wipe out their entire force...

GB: Does something that powerful exist?

KA: Well, why not. If we can build a nuclear bomb, we can certainly build a super-dooper-nuclear bomb.

KJ: Barve, I say we bore them to death.

MS: We send all of the snubfighters at them. That's the only way we'll win - fighters. In fact, all you need is me flying a single fighter, and I'll take them all out.

RS: Can we drop a moon on them?

Suddenly, all of the conversation stops as a new participant enters...

GL: The only way to win is if we ally ourselves with a technologically inferior race of cute, yet bumbling idiots. We'll win for sure.

TZ: No, that idea sucks, GL. You don't know anything - only my plan can be the true plan.

TD: How about we kidnap someone important.

TZ: How about we kidnap someone important.

TD: I just said that.

TZ: But, people will think it's original if I say it.

KA: How about we kidnap someone important.

TD & TZ stare at KA.

[NOTE - Any relationship between the initials of characters in this thread with any real living, breathing individuals is purely coincidental] " -Genghis12
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=2187131&replies=15
    :p
  16. Calli Force Ghost

star 4
    KA I think is Kevin J. Anderson and MS is Mike Stackpole... NOT CORRAN!

**sighs**

Ok had to get that off my chest.

17. Anison Jedi Knight

star 2
    hee hee :D
    That's great! Love it!

THAT'S EWAN MCGREGOR!?!?!? I thought he was some person on a float in a St. Patrick's day parade for NY or something.

*pictures Boss Nass step dancing and giggles hysterically*

oops, almost forgot. It's not the green I hate, it's the color scheme. Even that might look good without the freaky pics
  18. Dark Jedi Tam Jedi Master

star 4
    KJ is Kevin(?) Jeter who wrote the Bounty hunter series. That was too funny! And how true! A barve of kuat and barve this to barve...
  19. GrandAdmiralPelleaon Force Ghost

star 6
    what the hell is that?

wait lemme try...
  20. GrandAdmiralPelleaon Force Ghost

star 6
    http://boards.theforce.net/default.asp?status=<span%20style="color:black[face_mischief];background:blue;">Pellaeon

hmmm let's see if this works :D

Hillarious piece from Genghis12 [face_laugh]

It worked! here's another one

http://boards.theforce.net/default.asp?status=<span%20style="color:black[face_mischief];background:blue;">GAP_rules
  21. InasneChiss Jedi Knight

star 3
    *runs by* Muahahahahahhahahahaaa!!! *ducks around suspiciously, staples a twinkie to the wall and runs away laughing evilly*
  22. XCountryJedi Jedi Master

star 3
    Well, whatever it was it didn't work for me. Today I went on a Field Trip to the Sherwood Writing Festival @ Sherwood High School. It pretty neat. On the way back on the van we waved at guys trying to get them to wave back. Only girls went on the trip so it was okay.

How old is Thrawn when he dies?
  23. Calli Force Ghost

star 4
    Ahhh, so thats what it did.

I always saw Thrawn as older. he just seemed older to me in the novels. Like the Chiss lifespan was longer than ours. I saw his age close to or over 100.
  24. Anison Jedi Knight

star 2
    *tries to think of something memorable to say before AT60 leaves, but can't, beyond:*
    Kill the thread, HAH!!! :mad:

50 sounds about right, in human terms, but I like the idea of him being over 100. :D

well of course the Mods disabled it!! It would make the average layperson look like THEM!!

25. InasneChiss Jedi Knight

star 3
    I say over 200....just for the fun of it!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.