RE: Welcome to The Senate Floor - PLEASE READ (Rules and Regs)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Saint_of_Killers, Jul 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Why the stricter cussing rules? The 2 B words I understand, because the sorta topics discussed in here can be pretty serious, and attaching those sorts of words to them are bound to make some people angry, but can't we even say something pisses us off?
  2. Lord Bane Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Those rules have been in place since Day One.
  3. Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling

star 5
    So, we can't say pissed off?
  4. Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Will those words be unilaterally banned? I was thinking of starting a thread on Genealogy and Family History, and the term bastard is a valid genealogical term for a person whose parents were not married. In fact I have quite a few bastards in my own family tree (and I bet almost everyone else here has quite a few as well).

Kimball Kinnison
  5. Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling

star 5
    "In fact I have quite a few bastards in my own family tree"

[face_laugh] Sorry, but I had to laugh at that :D

6. Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well, I do. I even have an impeached politician (impeached 4 times in as many years). What can I say? My family tree has character.

Kimball Kinnison
  7. Darkside_Spirit Jedi Youngling

star 3
    What sort of politician (state governor)? And was he convicted/removed on any of the impeachments?
  8. Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    His name was Harrison Reed and he was governor of Florida from 1868-1872. He was facing the most corrupt Florida legislature ever. After he refused to allow them to bankrupt the state, they promptly impeached him and convicted him (it was overturned in the state Supreme Court). Over the next two years, he was impeached two more times, for similar reasons, but they were unable to convict him. His last year in office, they impeached him and convicted him, but then it was election time so they packed up, went home and left him in charge.

Because of him, my Dad and I want to start a genealogical society called Decendants of Impeached Politicians, or DIP for short. ;)

Kimball Kinnison
  9. Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan

star 4
    if you wish to post a PM or email in here, you must have the permission, given before the repost, of both the sender and the receiver. Anything other than that will result in a slap for invasion of privacy

I don't think that's called an "invasion of privacy". As I understand the law, a private communication between 2 parties can be released by one of the 2 parties without the other's permission.

It certainly is a violation of etiquette but it is legal.
  10. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 9
    It simply is not wanted/allowed in here.

11. shinjo_jedi Jedi Master

star 5
    Nice work Bane :D

Cheers,
    Shinjo
  12. Fingorfin Jedi Master

star 4
    Great story, Kimball_Kinnison.
  13. Darth_Asabrush Jedi Master

star 5
    Bane, can the two B words not be used even when in the correct context?
  14. Lord Bane Manager Emeritus

star 5
    1. You don't need to refer to a female dog as a bitch because frankly, there is no conversation where that'd come up.

2. If one wishes to refer to a fatherless chile, refer to him as such. A bastard is according to history a bad thing to call someone, regardless of its technical definition as just a fatherless child.

Meaning no, you cannot use them. [face_mischief]
  15. Darth_Asabrush Jedi Master

star 5
    I'm probably being a bit nitpicky but Bane, you surprise me. "According to history...."????

Any child of any age can pick up a dictionary of the English Language and find this word. It is not a bad thing to use the word in the correct context. The misuse/negative use of the word is the bad thing.

I know of practising teachers who openly use this word in their classroom in the correct context (eg: refering to William the Conqueror known as "William the B******" to the Saxons) and no one batters an eyelid!!! Not even the pupils/students.

To be forced to replace an acceptable word of the English language with "fatherless child" or more correctly "illegitimate" or "child born of parents out of wedlock" seems a little odd.

Whatever happened to common sense? Bane, there was a time when you argued for such things.
  16. Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Lord Bane,

I mean no offense by this, but I would honestly prefer to hear the final word from one of the mods who will be in charge of the Senate after you leave. I see no reason why the rule could not be ammended (by those who will be enforcing it) to add the word "improperly". After all, two of the three words you listed have non-vulgar definitions as well.
    bitch - 1 : the female of the dog or some other carnivorous mammals
    2 a : a lewd or immoral woman b : a malicious, spiteful, or domineering woman -- sometimes used as a generalized term of abuse
    3 : something that is highly objectionable or unpleasant
    4 : COMPLAINT

bastard - 1 : an illegitimate child
    2 : something that is spurious, irregular, inferior, or of questionable origin
    3 a : an offensive or disagreeable person -- used as a generalized term of abuse b : MAN, FELLOW
    I will admit that all four definitions of piss were listed as vulgar. I also checked (through m-w.com) the definitions of certain other words (of the 4-letter variety) that had only vulgar or offensive definitions. I support you in eliminating those words from this board. However, I feel that bastard and bitch should be allowed to be used in their proper contexts.

Otherwise, if you choose to outlaw all swear words, why not eliminate hell and damn as well. After all, they can be used in their proper religious context or they can be used as swear words. If you choose to unilaterally outlaw some words that can be mildly offensive, at least be consistant by outlawing words that can be even more offensive.

Kimball Kinnison
  17. Lord Bane Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Instead of saying "People bitch all the time about Topic X", it's not that hard to say "People complain all the time about Topic X."

I have never, in my 21 years, heard in an academic setting William the Conqueror referred to as William the Bastard (to the Saxons) and I've a minor in history (European).
  18. DilatedPeoples Jedi Youngling

"I have never, in my 21 years, heard in an academic setting William the Conqueror referred to as William the Bastard (to the Saxons) and I've a minor in history (European). "
    WHAt?!?! He was William the Bastard up until his victory, where he became, you guessed it....William the Conqueror. WTF! Do people come out of the womb as "Conquerors", Jesus H. Wow, either you went to a really odd school that was afraid to say Bastard, or your professor was stupid. I can't believe that. Must move on, though.
  19. Jedi_Master_Anakin Jedi Master

star 4
    This may not apply to all. But I think what Lord Bane is trying to do with the banning of the 2 B's, is that if they are allowed in their proper context then some people, although not all, will simply use them in the correct context just to say the word. I know because when I was younger I used to do the same thing in school. So I think that banning the two B's is A-okay, because then it would be like so many other rules. People would push the line a little at a time and then after a little while the rule would almost not exist. So I say taht we keep the 2 B's out, just to stop future problems.

Excellent, Lord Bane!
  20. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 9
    The rule will remain as is.

21. shinjo_jedi Jedi Master

star 5
    Which is should :)

Cheers,
    Shinjo
  22. Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    But I think what Lord Bane is trying to do with the banning of the 2 B's, is that if they are allowed in their proper context then some people, although not all, will simply use them in the correct context just to say the word. I know because when I was younger I used to do the same thing in school. So I think that banning the two B's is A-okay, because then it would be like so many other rules. People would push the line a little at a time and then after a little while the rule would almost not exist. So I say taht we keep the 2 B's out, just to stop future problems.

The rule will remain as is.

Then, as I said, I request that if you decide to outlaw swear words, regardless of context, that you outlaw all swear words. If you do not add "hell" and "damn" (and all variations thereof) to the list you are creating a double standard. They can be (and are) used as swear words far more often than either of the two terms under debate. It shouldn't matter that they can have valid uses.

Kimball Kinnison
  23. sleazo Jedi Padawan

star 4
    hell and damn? what is this the fifties?
    sheesh
  24. Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    hell and damn? what is this the fifties?
    sheesh

They are still swear words when not used in their proper contexts. If they are going to ban some, they should ban all. If they will allow some swear words (when used properly, not as swear words), they should allow all. Creating a double standard like this would be hypocritical and wrong.

Kimball Kinnison
  25. DilatedPeoples Jedi Youngling

Why are yall so afraid of swears? Everyone has heard them before.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.