main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Re: When author's can't be clever-or rants by yours truly

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Matthew Trias, Jun 8, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
  2. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    You could adapt the "What's a duck?" line from the ANH novel :)

3. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    What the DUCK! How the duckin hell did this get so far down??!!

SUCK IT ALL!
    Hey,I see there's an anzati in Darkness....A dark Jedi nontheless.

You'd think the Jedi wouldn't encourage the Masters to train Anzati as Jedi. ...

Guess someone read I Jedi and thought, "DUCKIN awesome idea!"

4. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Bw back later to post thoughts on dark journey.

5. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Duck on. Yo

6. Red_Mage

Red_Mage Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2002
    Wow! That's clever.

Brenn Tantor helped command the Republic's invasion of Coruscant in Force Commander.

Tantor helped invade Coruscant, a city-planet, and capitol of the Galactic Empire.

In Isaac Asimov's Foundation, the capitol of the Galactic Empire is a city-planet named Trantor.

Wow! That's clever.

And by "clever," I mean "überlame."

Sinrebirth likes this.
  7. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    So what'd everyone think of Nyax? Moffell worthy or not? :p

8. Red_Mage

Red_Mage Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2002
    I thought I already said "überlame"?

9. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Up. Ahhh, the memories.

10. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
  11. Thief

Thief Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 29, 2001
    Well, if you want an example of failed cleverness, look no further than the Ewoks. Apparently, George Lucas originally envisioned a planet of Wookiees, but decided that it would be too complicated and expensive, so he cut them in half and made them Ewoks -- which is roughly "Wookiees" cut in half and run backward.

12. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Apparently, George Lucas originally envisioned a planet of Wookiees"

Two words, "Holiday Special", :p.

13. Matthew_Wolverine

Matthew_Wolverine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    I must have somehow blocked out that Trix reference in the Lando Calrissian Adventures. I don't remember it at all. What part of it is that in?

14. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Did someone say there is another citywide planet in another non-SW books?

Is there anyone who can provide more details on that, please? I find that of unique interest. Which book came out first?

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Issaac Asimov's Foundation, IIRC. Not sure though.

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Fascinating. And both books, separate as they are, also have planetwide cities?

There was no copyright litigation?

17. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I'm not sure one can copyright the idea planet-wide cities, ?[face_plain]. Foundation came out before there was a real set copyright law, IIRC. I've seen planet-wide cities in other places as well, for instance in lost in space movie, earth was a planet wide city, IIRC. It may be one of those ideas that is so generic that it can't be copyrighted.

18. Thief

Dec 29, 2001
    In Isaac Asimov's Foundation, Foundation and Empire, and Second Foundation, the capitol of the Galactic Empire was Trantor, a planet covered entirely by cityscape. Its population was 40 billions, but most of the city was actually subterranean (I believe it was said somewhere in Foundation that the highest point on the surface was about 600 metres tall).

Trantor was totally dependent on commerce to satisfy its needs. After the fall of the Empire, Trantor's economy collapsed, and the Imperial remnant was ruled from Neotrantor, a largely agricultural world.

And, as I said, in Force Commander, General Brenn Tantor invades Imperial Centre, a planet entirely covered by cityscape, and the capitol of a Galactic Empire.

I remember reading somewhere that Lucas originally named the Imperial capitol "Jhantor", so I think it's pretty clear that Coruscant is a deliberate nod to Asimov's trilogy. Tantor's surname may be, too, actually.

Also a clear and deliberate reference to Asimov's trilogy is Brian Daley's Han Solo at Star's End. In the Foundation trilogy, there are two Foundations -- The First Foundation at Terminus, and The Second Foundation "at Star's End". It's a major plot point of Second Foundation as to just where "Star's End" is.

Just remember... All roads lead to Rome....

19. Thief

Dec 29, 2001
    Although I should add that Daley's Star's End reference isn't an example of failed cleverness. The pitten is an example of failed cleverness. The Moffship is an example of failed cleverness. Allusions and references to classic literature -- like Star's End, or James Luceno's cleverly hidden quotes from Julius Caesar in Cloak of Deception -- aren't.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Although I should add that Daley's Star's End reference isn't an example of failed cleverness. The pitten is an example of failed cleverness. The Moffship is an example of failed cleverness. Allusions and references to classic literature -- like Star's End, or James Luceno's cleverly hidden quotes from Julius Caesar in Cloak of Deception -- aren't.

I agree with Thief -- Brian Daley was, by all accounts, quite the devotee of classic science-fiction and his desire to honor the greats in his work seems driven out of sentimentality rather than a lack of cleverness.

Luceno's quote WAS clever because it was the twisting of the words of Shakespeare that made it fun.

21. darth_melvin

darth_melvin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2002
    <<I must have somehow blocked out that Trix reference in the Lando Calrissian Adventures. I don't remember it at all. What part of it is that in? >>

It's in the 2nd one (Flamewind) - here's an excerpt from the review on TFN that I read recently.

<<Next, listen to this description. "Outside, a braid of rasberry red, lemon yellow, and orange orange twisted through the heavens, across a constellation locals called the Silly Rabbit." Gag. TRIX are for kids, not Star Wars fans.>>

22. darth_melvin

darth_melvin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2002
    <<you know - I always hated how they curse in books. I mean, what the hell: "Sithspawn!" or "Emperrors Black Bones" ? who the hell would say that when being jumped buy a star destroyer fleet ?
    ***T !!! or ****K !!! is more realistic
    >>

You know about the 2nd Austin Powers movie where there was this controversy about using "shagged" in the title, because it's offensive in England, but not as much here?

Maybe in the GFFA, a word like "Sithspawn" could get you in real trouble with your mama.

23. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    It's in the 2nd one (Flamewind) - here's an excerpt from the review on TFN that I read recently.

<<Next, listen to this description. "Outside, a braid of rasberry red, lemon yellow, and orange orange twisted through the heavens, across a constellation locals called the Silly Rabbit." Gag. TRIX are for kids, not Star Wars fans.>>

WTF?! That's messed up!

Sinrebirth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.