main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Re-write the OT novelizations?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Skywalker2B, Feb 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    Ok, here's something to think about:

It is known that GL has filmed some extra scenes that he plans on putting in the OT films to better link them with the PT films. Also, take into consideration the SE's which have changes and additions to the original films already. Now, with the glaring contradiction to the RotJ novel to AotC whereas Owen is not Ben's brother, but really Anakin's step-brother there is yet another reason why I think that the novelizations for Ep.4-6 should be re-written. Furthermore, I think that they should be re-written in the same fashion as the novels for 1 and 2 have been done: with the input of GL himself giving behind the scenes information and backstories to be included in the books while not in the movies. I think this would go a long way into clearing up a lot of the continuity errors that are abundant even in the "canon" material at present. What say you?

2. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Nah...let bygones be bygones. I don't want to buy another edition of all those things; retcons are perfectly acceptable to me.

3. loser_fett

loser_fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2001
    I think there is actually a good chance of this happening. Just say that its ANH or ESB premium editon, put a fancy cover on it and the people will gobble it up. The sales alone probably have LFL and Del Rey seriously considering this.

4. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    Well, considering that in just another couple months they're re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-releasing the OT books once again, it doesn't sound like they're about to re-write them. Although this is Lucas we're talking about...hmmmmm

5. loser_fett

loser_fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2001
    Yeah but these would be super-duper-ultra-premium editions of the novels.

Super-duper-ultra-premium editions=money

6. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

I say forget it. We've bastardized the original experience of the OT enough as it is. Besides, the ANH novel is a fine piece of literature... the other two, hmmm, not so good.

7. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    Besides, the ANH novel is a fine piece of literature...

[face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_laugh]

8. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001

Oh, what... are you burned because Luke has a dog? I thought it was magnificent, ADF at his finest. I loved his imagery in that book more than SOTME. All of the intresting tid bits that never made the final cut of the film also lend to making it an interesting read. But then, I suppose your under the school of thought that they only serve as inaccuracies or continuity breaches, right?

9. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    Personally, I find a lot of ADFs books to be very entertaining, and his novelizations are WAY above par, but none of them that I've read have had that whatever it is that makes something a piece of "fine literature." It has nothing to do with continuity.

10. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001

I stand corrected. :)

Perhaps, that was an inapropriate term to use;I didn't mean fine literature like "Paradise Lost" fine literature, I ment like fine (good) literature (read) :D

Actually there isn't much of a problem in the continuity department. More just in terms of tone interpretation in regards to the rest of EU but that is intirely understandable.

11. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    What would be a very interesting read would be OT novels, but told from Anakin's POV. What was he thinking as Alderaan was destroyed? What about the prospect of returning to Tatooine? The inner conflict as he battles his son. What did he feel as he struck down Obi-wan and what were his initial reactions when the force-strong x-wing pilot destroyed the Death Star?

I like the scene in the ROTJ novel where Anakin returns - it's very poetic, as he recalls spring rain and thunderstorms when he tastes his tears as they run onto his lips and hears the sounds of explosions as the Death Star comes under attack.

12. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    I think that would be kind of interesting. And I think too, that it could be incorparated into re-written novelizations. Before, the authors (no matter how good they were) did not know that the whole SW story was supposed to be about Anakin/Darth Vader. So, the OT novels are written more for Luke and gang as the movies seem to show. A re-write could include more of Vader's thoughts and behind the scenes (read "off camera") things showing that the story is more about him than Luke.

I just thought about this: I'm really looking forward to the books inbetween Ep3 and Ep4. I hope they write one that leads right into Ep.4 like CoD and TAS lead into Ep1 and Ep2 respectively. Maybe we'll get to see what happens to Padme/Amidala there. *shrug*

13. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Hmmm ... I REALLY would have liked spoiler warning before reading this .. *sigh*

14. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    What would be a very interesting read would be OT novels, but told from Anakin's POV.

I don't think that's necessary. The point of a piece of fiction is to make the characters real to the audience through plot elements. If that's been achieved, then the audience should be able to accurately assume the characters' reaction to events because they know them. Star Wars has certainly succeeded in this. We would gain nothing that we don't already know.

15. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    Jedi-Riibu,

Ummmm...why? Nothing was spoiled here. Spoilers pertain to things that people may (or maynot) know about Ep.2 and/or 3 or the latest book/comic that is out. None of which is talked about in this thread. If you are referring to the Padme/Amidala comment it's common knowledge that she survives Ep.3 (that is unless GL puts another scene at the end showing something happen to her with Leia as a young girl) from Leia's comment to Luke in RotJ about knowing her mother briefly. If GL makes a change, then what I mentioned is mere speculation and/or wishful thinking. Definately NOT spoiler material.

16. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Quote:
    "If you are referring to the Padme/Amidala comment it's common knowledge that she survives Ep.3"

Umm, no it sn't.

And don't re-write the novels. There's not enough difference in the SEs to warrant re-writing the whole thing, and the Owen = Anakin's brother and Anakin not knowing Yoda points are minor errors.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It would be nice to have a revised edition of the novels to clear up some inconsistancies (such as Blue Squadron insteadof Red Squadron, etc). Could even utilize the various books written that lead directly into and during ANH to provide more filler to fatten them up a bit[face_batting]

It'd be great to see some of the ANH Radio Drama bits with Leia aboard the Tantive IV obtaining the plans sent by the one chick in the Han Solo trilogy.

Then, after the Tantive IV escapes to hyperspace, we follow Vader as he is informed that their spy droid, U-3PO, aboard the Tantive has provided their destination- Tatooine, and Vader's subsequent reaction to having to go back there. Could also detail why he sends a detachment down instead of going himself, as he doesn't want to set foot on the world again.

Perhaps Luke would get an odd sensation when steps foot in one of the Yavin base temples, or touches one of it's stone walls, foreshadowing Exar Kun's return in JAT.

Add in references to Keyan Farlander and Rookiee One's participation in the Battle of Yavin (perhaps, as "blue squadron") and their part in the attack on the defelections tower/decoy attack runs.

Could also explain Veers' & Hobbie's survival after Hobbie's suicide run as well.

And in ROTJ, combine both the massive starfighter attack run on the Executor to explain how the shields were weakened sufficiently enough for those fighters to get under the shield long enough to pop the shield generator dome, and then add in Arvel Crynyd's kamakazi that takes out the bridge.

Perhaps Moff Jerjerod would notice something a little odd about the 2nd Death Star's computer system as he prepares to destroy Endor.

Mostly though, the adaptations as they stand seem particularly weak and thin in comparison to the TPM novel and, apparently, the AOTC novel.

18. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Ummmm...why? Nothing was spoiled here. Spoilers pertain to things that people may (or maynot) know about Ep.2 and/or 3 or the latest book/comic that is out. None of which is talked about in this thread.

Duh, I know what a spoiler is. And since I'm avoiding them, the connection between Anakin/Owen IS a spoiler. :mad:

And since I stopped reading at the Anakin/Owen comment, I saw nothing mentioned of Padme.

19. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Ugh, no way. Changing the novels to fit better with the SEs is one thing but don't load them with references to EU. Yikes. Especially the ANH novelization, which is Lucas' own work.

20. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    "which is Lucas' own work. "

Actually, It's Alan Dean Foster's own work.

21. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    God no. I think they're great. Why fix something if it isn't broken? Re-do HoT maybe...

22. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Anakin and Owen's relationship is not a spoiler. Go check out Owen's bio in the StarWars.com databank.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Ugh, no way. Changing the novels to fit better with the SEs is one thing but don't load them with references to EU.<<

Well, perhaps I went a little overboard, but my point being, a couple of those suggestions could be utilized as a source to draw additional material from to make the novels a little more extensive than the films, like TPM's novelization.

But then, since the novels are considered EU now, might as well make sure they mesh better with the rest of the EU. ::)

24. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I agree with ParanoidAni-Droid about the SW novelization. In fact, I think that ADF's SW novelization and Splinter of the Mind's Eye are the two finest SW books in existence.

25. marvelfett

marvelfett Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2002
    Don't mess with the novelizations. As far as contradictions go, the only real contradiction is the Obi-Wan/Owen thing in the "Jedi" novel. That's the only thing I would change. The "Star Wars" novel is perfect. If they change it they might take out the intro and we would lode the only reference to "Journal of the Whills". The "Empire" novelization doesn't really expand upon the movie a whole lot, but so what? Why mess with perfection?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.