main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ark Reactions and Discussion: Batman Begins

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Elan-Rai, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeepgirls30

jeepgirls30 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    Hey guys
    Enjoyed the Batman movie even though I was pretty much stoned on Vicadin during the whole thing!! I am so glad to have met all the Renegades that I run around with. Thank you for all you have done (and you know who I am talking about). See you next week at Henry's to those who are going.
    Later

2. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    1. that movie was awesome! did not see the liam twist at all.
    2. i asked the ticket chick if they were giving the posters for the rots movie cause i was gonna buy a ticket and she said they did not have any. this was at 6:30pm fri when i bought the tickets. i cant get back up there because we are leaving for new orleans at 6 am. i am pissed!!!
    3. we were at the 830 pm show but got there right at 830. so we missed everybody. but, i did buy this really cool sw calendar at barnes and noble which i intend on framing some of the months they look that great. we intend on redoing our living room in sw/coke.
    4. sorry i missed yall but i could feel the spirit of the renegades there.

3. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    I'll try to take a stab at some of the contradictions to the movie. While we should all know that this is not a direct representation of the comics (and really no movie is), I think it holds its own. So before anyone asks, I didn't intend to start an argument over Comic vs. Movie. I just wanted to point out how some of these questions could be answered and are by no means truth. ;)

The Scarecrow never work at Arkhem Asylum's.
    I know it mentions him being a university student at GU, but does it ever mention where he works in the comics? If it doesn't, then we really can't say he didn't work at AA. Maybe he did and it just isn't mentioned in the old comics. Just a guess as I am sure others can throw some ideas around.

Wayne manior was never burned to the ground.
    Again, just because the comics don't reference it doesn't mean it didn't happen. While I doubt the comic creators ever thought about something that drastic, I think it works. Which kind of answers the next bit.

They removed the grand-father clock with a piano/display case access point.
    Well, if the piano was destroyed (along with everything else) then they probably restored the manor with the grandfather clock. Hey, did they have a different way of accessing the bat cave in the old serials? I can't remember.

Went from a car as the batmoble to a armored ATV.
    Actually, it would have went from an ATV to the batmobile, right? ;) Try to remember, this is the beginning of the story. He needs something to build on. It is kind of like the opposite of the SW trilogy. The ships are all shiny and pretty in the prequels and they end up looking dirty and beat-up in the OT. I think the writers just wanted to have a car that would visually evolve into what we all love... the BATMOBILE. (Bruce doesn't even refer to the vehicle as the Batmobile in BB does he?)

Changing Bruce Wayne alter persona from a clumsy dim-witt to a arrogant a**hole.
    I think I see what you mean here. I just assumed Bruce Wayne was putting on an "act" (i.e., seeming drunk) to get his guests out of harms way when Ducard arrived in his manor. I never got the impression he was an A-hole for the complete duration of the movie. Maybe I just missed it.

Gordan was already the Commisoner of Gothem City when Batman showed-up.
    This is so true. But I will say this though. I like Batman Begins way a whole lot better. We get to see a true friendship between the two. Plus, we get to watch them grow together. Awesome! :D

They never cought the person who killed Bruces parents.
    Yeah, I suppose that is true too in the comics. I did like how they pulled it off in the movie though. It really showed Bruce's lust for revenge before the much-needed channeling of his fears. I just feel that scene was needed in the movie. Although, I can see how the everlasting hunt for his parent's murderer works too. This really didn't annoy me though. I guess it would to the hardcore fanboys. ;)

Here's one of my own: Where is Dick Grayson (Robin) during all this? He's in the comics when Scarecrow is around!
    Good question, but again we can't directly correlate the comics and movies. I am just guessing that the authors of the movies are just telling these stints out of order or something. Any thoughts?

Also, check out this sight for some interesting tidbits about Batman's life through the comics. YOUNG READER ALERT: A few bad words on this sight. ;)

Feel free to throw around some ideas on how the comics and movies relate. It's a fun discussion... or at least I hope it remains fun. :D

4. penzargrat

penzargrat Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 7, 2001
    Batman Begins was awesome. And as a lifelong Batman fan, I can definitely say that it was the closest live-action interpretation of Batman to the comics EVER. ALL of the main characters, with the exception of Katie Holmes' character, were taken straight from the comics. I mean, they even had Mr. Zsasz, for Pete's sake! And they also had young Bruce falling down a hole in the ground and being scared by the bats. And they had a bat fly in Bruce's study to give him inspiration to become Batman. All direct translations! But anytime you make a translation from comics to screen, a few minor changes here and there are acceptable. But to correct the supposed changes that were NOT changes...

Gordan was already the Commisoner of Gothem City when Batman showed-up.
    Gordon was NOT police commissioner when Batman showed up. I forgot what rank he was at the time, but he wasn't the commissioner! Read Batman: Year One.

They never cought the person who killed Bruces parents. Well, from shortly after Batman premiered in 1939 until just a few years ago, Joe Chill was ALWAYS the one who killed Bruce's parents. But a few years ago DC changed continuity to Bruce's parents being an killed by an unknown character that has never been caught. And plus, there was a really neat version of Joe Chill being killed in this movie that collaborated with how it happened in the comics: in the comics, Batman finds Joe Chill after all those years, removes his mask and shows Chill that he's Bruce Wayne, and then pulls out the gun that Chill used to kill his parents. Bruce tells Chill that he's going to kill him with it. He hesitates for a minute, then Chill is shot and killed by another vigilante called the Reaper. So Batman never had to make the decision about whether he would kill Chill, and that's similar to how it played out in the movie!

Where is Dick Grayson (Robin) during all this? He's in the comics when Scarecrow is around!
    I doubt that they will re-use any villans that have previously appeared in the movies. Even though they hint at The Joker at the end, I doubt that he will be the villan in the next movie. It'll probably be Clayface or somebody. So since they wanted to have Batman's origin, and of course they HAD to have a super villian in it, they picked the next biggest Batman villans: hence, the Scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul!

Bruce never got his martial arts/ninja training from Ra's Al Ghul/Ducard he received it from Japanese Sensai in Japan not in China.
    Well, I don't remember if it was martial arts/ninja training that Bruce Wayne got from Ducard, but he got some training from him growing up. Read Detective Comics #598-600 from 1989.

It's like the only thing right was Wayne's parent's being gunned down outside of the opera
    Actually, that was something they got wrong. Wayne's parents were gunned down outside a movie theater after watching The Mark of Zorro.

5. Jedi_Master_Vader

Jedi_Master_Vader Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2003
    Actually the next villian IS the Joker, Mark Hamill has been signed on to play him. You can find this on movies.com btw.

I know Hamill does the voice of the joker on the cartoon, heh maybe the joker will have a green lightsaber in the next batman movie

Did anyone notice that the palace where Bruce Wayne trains at looks rather similar to Jabba's Palace, and also some of the mountains looked like the same ones from Lord of the Rings

6. penzargrat

Jan 7, 2001
    I checked Movies.com and it said a RUMOR is that it's down to Crispin Glover and Mark Hamill as the Joker. I don't believe that's true for a minute. It is way too early for the producers to be thinking about casting for the next movie. And Mark Hamill looks way too OLD to be the Joker. Jack Nicholson was actually too old, going by the comics, but Jack was awesome in the role, so it was okay. lol But hopefully the Joker won't be in the next movie, cause I'd be about bored if he was. It would probably still be done right, and I'd probably still wind up liking it, but I'd just rather see another villain there.

7. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    They really do need to choose villains that weren't previously in the other movies. I agree that it'd be a shame to reuse them in my honest opinion. But then again, they've reused Batman (actor-wise) four times. ;)

Heck, they ought to just come up with some new villains we've never seen before! :D

8. Jedi_Master_Vader

Jedi_Master_Vader Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2003
    my bad a rumor....Jack was older than Mark when he was the Joker, they are thinking about the next movie, Bale was signed to be batman again. After the last scene in the movie, I dont know how you got it in your brain that the next villian could be someone other than the Joker. And I believe the rumor is true. I think it would be good for Mark to be in another big movie

9. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    Mark Hamill does a great job of voicing the Joker. Don't get me wrong. And yeah, the movie sort of implies that he is the next foe, but I am trying to imagine, for one, a repeat villain. I just don't think it would fly. Although, they seem to be reinventing the wheel, so-to-speak, and... it's working. So, I dunno. I suppose if it were done right (like BB) it could work with all the right actors set in motion. I guess we'll see in a year or so.

10. penzargrat

Jan 7, 2001
    I guess I got it in my brain that the next movie could have a villain other than the Joker because I looked at that as just a little joke to throw the Joker into this movie since he MIGHT not be in this series of movies. And plus, Wayne Manor was burned to the ground at the end of this one, and since I doubt that the next movie will NOT have Wayne Manor in it, that means that the next movie will probably take place a least a few months after this movie, to give the manor time to be rebuilt. But I suppose that as bad as The Joker is, he could go on a several-months-long crime spree before Batman catches him.

11. sithsarbad

sithsarbad Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2003
    The writer for the movie told entertainment weekly, that they plan on doing a trilogy.

The 2nd film will introduce Harvey Dent(makes sense since a new DA is needed) and be about Batman and Grodon going after the Joker....

The 3rd one will be about Joker on trial and Harvey Dent becoming two face.....

Mark isn't the kind of actor Chirs Nolan would like to use. Chirs would like to use someone, sorry to say it, better. Mark is an ok actor but not the kind of actor Nolan would want. Plus, Mark is in no kind of shape to do anything of action film, sorry. I can see Caspin up for the role but most likely I see it going to a actor who isn't well kown like they did with Scarecrow and even Batman him self in this film(however I already new of Bail)

I think if things go to plan

we have a nice little series of movies on our hands here....

I guess I got it in my brain that the next movie could have a villain other than the Joker because I looked at that as just a little joke to throw the Joker into this movie since he MIGHT not be in this series of movies. And plus, Wayne Manor was burned to the ground at the end of this one, and since I doubt that the next movie will NOT have Wayne Manor in it, that means that the next movie will probably take place a least a few months after this movie, to give the manor time to be rebuilt. But I suppose that as bad as The Joker is, he could go on a several-months-long crime spree before Batman catches him.

I don't know

we don't know how much time has gone by from the Batman saving the city from Rhi's to Gordon lighting up the signal. Most likly not much, but who is to say. A few months could have gone by then since Gordon is now up a rank....

who knows

But as they said in entertainment weekly, may have been premiere

Joker is the next baddy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.