Reactions to AOTC: spoilers within

Discussion in 'Milwaukee, WI' started by jedihexer, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptMereel Jedi Knight

star 3
    Okay, now that I've seen it twice (and will see it a third time tomorrow with a bunch of you), here are my comments:

As I described it to a friend: It starts out like a snowball on a mountain top and as it rolls downhill it accumulates more snow until, finally, it's an avalanche!

In answer to someone's previous question about where was the reference to 1138 (and I didn't see a reply), take a good look at the back of each Clone Trooper (or was it on the backs of the battle droids? Darn! Now I can't remember!) at the symbols which form 1138 on the backplate of the armor, just below shoulder level. I noticed that the first time seeing the film and pointed it out to my husband. It's there so watch for it.

As a Boba Fett fan since ESB, I am now a devoted follower of Jango and was the only one in the Ultrascreen at the 11:30AM showing on Thursday to react negatively to his beheading by Mace Windu. I literally yelled out "No!" when a few others cheered! Blasphemers!

Also, did everyone notice Ahmed Best, Anthony Daniels and Lucas' daugher in the bar on Coruscant? How about Lucas' son in the Jedi library? Did I miss a post on this? If I did, sorry. Someone told me in today's 11:30AM showing line that on MTV last night, one of In'Stink was interviewed and said they were NOT in the film - all footage they were in was cut out. I don't know if that's true or not since I have no idea what any of them look like so won't have noticed them if they were on screen.

Also, I absolutely loved the first fight between Jango and Obi-Wan! What a bad a** so you can see where Boba gets it from. Also, Jango's gun twirling after he shot that one Jedi Master up in the balcony of the arena made me go wild. I also heard Qui-Gon's voice but I don't remember exactly where it was....maybe while Anakin was doing his Rebel Without a Cause thing on Tatooine as he was racing off to find his mother.

I don't like to describe my feeling like a child again when I see/saw this film because I wasn't a child when I first saw ANH in 1977 (I was 19). I'm an adult and love the films from an adult's point of view. There are so many references to politics, war etc etc in this film that most 12 year olds wouldn't understand the references or the nuances of political machinations etc. or how Palpatine has manipulated everyone and everything into exactly where he wants them. No 12 year is going to catch and understand that.

While Jar Jar still irritates me I now understand why he is here....after all, he is the catalyst that gives Palpatine the emergency power to create the army he has always wanted so he can eventually take complete control. Jar Jar was just another dupe and fell hook, line and sinker to Palpatine's well-worded bait.

And finally the question of how the Jedi could not detect Darth Sidious when he is standing right next to them has finally been answered! Thank you! It was an irritating flaw up until now.

My last and final comments are that Yoda definitely kicks butt! His seemingly old and arthritic stance completely disappeared and he became a pinball that just bounced and flew effortlessly everywhere and twirled that lightsaber like the true Master that he is. Totally awesome.

The critics, as usual, are just a bunch of filmmaker wannabees who are disgruntled and dissatisfied that they couldn't make it in the film world except by panning other people's work. So there!

See some of you tomorrow! George has done it right this time! Hallelujah!
  2. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "There are so many references to politics, war etc etc in this film that most 12 year olds wouldn't understand the references or the nuances of political machinations etc. or how Palpatine has manipulated everyone and everything into exactly where he wants them. No 12 year is going to catch and understand that."

I strongly disagree. You can't deny that there is a certain percentage of people in the world with above average intelligence and insight. They were all 12-year-olds at one time, some of them still are, and some of them will be.
  3. jedi_kiss_rock_ Jedi Master

star 1
    I just got back from seeing it. WOW WOW WOW.
    gl did a great job this time , i will see it again many times.

hope to see ot with the gang some time :)

thx
    jedi kiss rock
  4. bwing53 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I agree. Most kids are pretty bright and can piece together plot lines awfully well. This movie doesn't pander to children, but it doesn't dismiss them, either. I think its solid enough for everyone to follow on some level, and I think that's one of the reasons I like it so much. It obviously leaves some questions, but for me it answered so much . . very well written, methinks.
  5. mirrax Jedi Knight

star 1
    I definitely agree - my kids are 9 and 12 and there was nothing in the movie that they did not understand, and also I have tons of friends with kids the same age; they all can understand even the slightest nuances. The movie (and all the movies) appeal to such a large age group and I love that kids don't really pick it apart as much as adults do, they just accept it as entertaining.
  6. que4zone Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, I better ring in and say what I have to say. I have watched AOTC three times and can't wait to see it again. AOTC is clearly my favorite SW movie!!.. Nothing annoyed, angered, or dissappointed me. Everything is perfect (in my mind).

A lot questions have been answered, but two remain:
    1.) Why did Qui-Gon not disappear in TPM, when he died?

2.) Was Darth Sidious (? Sido-Dyas ?) the one who ordered the Clones?

If you know the answers to these, let me know.

I read a few reviews and was disappointed in them. However, I will not let those people bring me down. I have been so happy since opening day and look forward to Episode 3, already. I wish I had a week off from work, so that I could watch AOTC over and over again!... Unfortunately, I have to work Saturday to Wednesday, but will return to the theater Thursday.

Attack of the Clones kicked my a**!!
    ... May the Force be with you ...

~Que
  7. Idaara Jedi Knight

star 3
    I thought the Kaminoan said something like "Siphadias", but I could be wrong. I'm not that far along in the book yet. And BTY, if I haven't said it yet, read the book!
  8. Bishop76 Jedi Knight

star 3
    It's Sifo Dyas.

Jeff
  9. jedi_kiss_rock_ Jedi Master

star 1
    I thought for a moment as well that dooku was the one to order the clones but it could be sidious as well(the sith have a nack for decieving the weak minded)

:)

jedi kiss rock
  10. jedi_kiss_rock_ Jedi Master

star 1
    The book, yes, many questions will be awnsered!

jedi kiss rock
  11. Murc-XIII Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well.....just got back from another showing.

Some things that are starting to dissapoint me about the movie:
    Bad acting:sure, anakin had plenty of good acting, but the first 10 minutes still kills me from the bad acting and dialogue
    Yoda: He looked like he was real, but he still didn't look like the yoda that we all know and love. Just not the same for me. And, truthfully, i didn't like him fighting. It was cool, but in my mind, yoda just doesnt do that. I would rather see him win a mental battle...you know stuff like that.
    Jango Fett: we all love him. But why, oh why lucas, did you have to kill him off? He suffered the same fate of Maul. You meet him, then he dies. Absolutely no character development. None. He could have been so cool....
    C-3PO: i liked the humor. I was laughing. But in the middle of a battle? Sometimes i wonder lucas...

Anyway, just my views. Any other reactions?

(don't get me wrong, i still loved AOTC, i just had a few things to get off my chest)
  12. jedi_kiss_rock_ Jedi Master

star 1
    So, is darth sidious palpy or his clone?
  13. que4zone Jedi Knight

star 1
    I thought it was Sifo Dyas as well, but according to theforce.net it is Sido-Dyas??.. Weird?.. I'm thinking Palpatine is Sidious, because Sidious becomes the Emperor (a clone would seem odd to me).. uhm.. No one heard anything about Qui-Gon's death??.. . . Will we ever know?..
  14. Figrin_D_an Jedi Knight

star 1
    Alright, while all of you peeps are out watching the film this afternoon, I'll post some of my thoughts about the film. :)

Storyline was solid... I liked the diverging plots in the middle of the film (Anakin & Padme's love story vs. Obi-Wan's detective story) that eventually joined together to complete the puzzle. Nice way of keeping things moving while still allowing time for the Anakin/Padme relationship to develop.

On that note... the first time I saw the film, I was a little sketchy on the love story arc... I just wasn't convinced by parts of it... the second time I saw it, though, I realized an important point... Anakin has been training as a Jedi for 10 years, and hasn't lived a normal live, by any means. The same can be said for Padme, being a Queen since her early teenage years, then becoming a Senator. Neither of them really had any opportunity to learn social behaviors on handling the opposite sex... so, the awkwardness that is shown in some of those scenes with Anakin and Padme is appropriate... they are both confused and intimidated in a way, and must struggle through their feelings the best they can... when I thought about that, it made that entire story arc so much more believable, and I now really appreciate the way it was done...

Acting was good for the most part... I didn't have a problem with Hayden at any point during the film... Ewan was excellent, as always... Christopher Lee is just so damn classy, he makes any film he is in that much better... Natalie was okay, she had a few moments that were a little quirky, but it was still acceptable... Jackson was great as Mace Windu, very charismatic, especially during the Genosian battle...

The dialogue had it's less-than-steller moments... but, dialogue has never been Lucas' strong suit, and every Star Wars film has corny dialogue, so I'm not bothered by it enough to really harp about it. This film, however, really did make me realize how much I missed not having the banter between Threepio and R2 in TPM. Now, it would have been nearly impossible to put that kind of thing into TPM because of the storyline... but, it was something that I missed, the more I think about it. I loved having Threepio and R2 take the verbal jabs at each other, and having R2 drive Threepio crazy. Threepio did have a couple of corny lines ("What a drag" or "I'm beside myself"), but it was still a LOT better than the poodoo and fart jokes involving Jar-Jar from TPM. I never really hated Jar-Jar, but I never really liked him, either... he was okay in AOTC though... he seemed more mellow, and his reduced screen time probably helped as well.

Effects were amazing... they were many times better than even TPM, which is a very impressive film from a technical standpoint. And, honestly, I really didn't miss the Yoda puppet... I think it is more-or-less because I knew that Yoda had to be a more active character in this film than in the original trilogy or TPM... it would be difficult, for example, for me to accept a CGI Yoda in ESB, teaching Luke about the basics of the Force... but, in this film, I felt is was completely appropriate. And, of course, watching Yoda kick some butt against Dooku was incredible... I don't think it detracts from his 'wise philosopher and teacher' image at all... to me, he has always been a character that fits into the mold of the Shao-Lin monk... "Body of a Warrior, Mind of a Scholar, Spirit of a Priest." In this film, we just finally got to see that Warrior part of him, along with his other attributes.

A few other comments:

- I'm not on the "Jango" bandwagon... he was a neat character, and he did some cool stuff, but I'm glad he got axed. He was cocky enough to take on a Jedi as powerful as Mace Windu, and he got exactly what he deserved. He was a plot device to set the basis for the clones, and provide some background for Boba Fett's character. Besides, it sets up Boba's hatred of the Jedi... expect to see a growth-accelerated Boba running around killing Jedi in Episode III.

- Anakin loosing contro
  15. Darth_Lee Jedi Master

star 1
    Okay, I just saw the film again, and it's just as incredible, but I have a few questions/observations.

1. Why didn't the Tuskens just kill Shmi? What was the point of leaving her tied to a stick for a month anyway?

2. In the Genosian battle, after Padme falls out of the gunship, they continue chasing Dooku for quite a way, at a pretty high rate of speed. When the Clone Trooper finds Padme, she demands to go to the hangar. How doe she know they ended up there? If she's that psychic she should have just told the ship to head to the hangar in the first place.

3. When Anakin and Padme are in her ship, and they receive the transmission from Obi-Wan, you see a control panel full of buttons. Padme presses a button once which enables Obi's transmission to be sent to Coruscant. She then presses the exact same button to bring up a map of the galaxy...when did they install the "Everything button" on these ships anyway? Sheesh, at least press a different button. :)

4. Whoever Jedi Sydo-Dias (Palpatine, I think)is is going to kick some Kamino butt. He goes through the trouble of secretly ordering this army under a false name, removing the planet from the Jedi archives, and then the Kaminos just blabber all these secret plans within 5 minutes to the first person that walks in the door. Perhaps a simple "Greetings, what brings you here, sir?" would have been appropriate on their part.

Okay, I'm done now. :)
  16. Figrin_D_an Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm not sure that the Jedi Master mentioned (Sydo Dias, or whatever his name is) is really Sidious. I mean, yes the name sounds similar, bu remember what Obi-Wan says... "Jedi Master Sydo Dias was killed over 10 years ago..." This implies that he knew/knew of this person, and it would seem that Yoda and Mace Windu did also. I tend to think that he was a Jedi that was killed (perhaps by Sidious or Darth Maul), and Sidious used his name/identity to request the clone army from the Kaminoans, and to delete the planet information from the Jedi archives...

17. Mauler_II Jedi Knight

star 3
    Why didn't the Tuskens just kill Shmi? What was the point of leaving her tied to a stick for a month anyway?

According to the book , which (again) everyone should read, the tuskans do this to guage the strength of their enemies - it is not an uncommon occureence. It also mentions that they were very impressed with Schmi's strength.
  18. Darth_Lee Jedi Master

star 1
    I'm pretty certain that Sydo-Dias is Sidious. Episode I takes place about 10 years ago. Now, Sydo-Dias died supposedly more than 10 years ago. So he would had time after this supposed death to put into motion the events of TPM and AOTC. I say supposed death because I have a feeling he didn't die at all. If you're a Jedi and want to go to the dark side, but don't want anyone to find out about your plans, what better way than to fake your own death? Or even better, have a clone of you killed, so the jedi believe you to be dead and would not be keeping tabs on you, so to speak. Which I believe they would do if you just up and left the Jedi Order.

Since all Jedi who go to the dark side that we know of change their name, (Anakin to Vader, Dooku to Tyranus...for example), I think it's reasonable to assume that Sydo-Dias becomes Sidious. Palpatine's real rise to power began around 10 years ago as well, after the death/disappearance of Sydo-Dias. This adds some credibility to the rumor that Sidious/Palpatine are clones, one of the other. In the Episode II film, when Obi-Wan brings Sydo-Dias up to Windu and Yoda, they don't confirm anything when Kenobi mentions Sydo-Dias' death. In fact, I think they just glance at each other and say nothing. I'll watch for that when I see it again.

Somehow in episode 3, Palpatine/Sidious/Sydo-Dias may very well turn out to be clones. Who the orginal is, I don't know. The whole Palpatine IS Sidious idea seems to be losing steam. It's TOO obvious....old George must have something up his sleeve. He has to, to explain why the Jedi can't sense anything dark about Palpatine. Even if they are losing their powers to a degree, they should be able to still tell if they're buddy-buddy with the Dark Lord of the Sith.

Again, this is just my half-baked theory. Feel free to support/shoot holes in it as you see fit. :)
  19. bwing53 Jedi Knight

star 3
    You guys can slam me if you think I'm wrong (and I have NOTHING to base this on), but I think Palpatine/Sidious IS the dark side of the force--the one half that Anakin is supposed to counter-balance (bringing balance to the force, and all that). I wouldn't be surprised if Sidious was also Fatherless (like anakin); i.e. conceived in a most untraditional way--the dark side perhaps "hatched" him. It would follow then that if he could influence Anakin, or the"good" half of the force over into the darkness, that would pretty much take care of the Jedi and ensure that the dark side would indeed cloud everything--permanently. It would then make sense that Luke and Leia are the miracle force babies that are THE absolute last chance for the light side to swing back into prominence and restore the "old ways" of the Jedi & the Republic, which is fleshed out in the Star Wars books that take place after ROTJ.

So--Am I nuts?
  20. Figrin_D_an Jedi Knight

star 1
    I suppose the clone idea is possible, but one would think that if a clone thing was involved, that the Jedi would recognize that Palpatine looked incredibly similar to the Jedi Master Sydo Dias... (i suppose cosmetic surgery is possible...)
    I think you are right, though, that Yoda and Mace just kind of look at each other and don't say anything about Obi-Wan's comment...
    perhaps, Sydo Dias is one of the infamous "Lost 20," but the council prefers that everyone think that he died instead of leaving the Order...

The other thing to consider is Palpatine had been a politician for quite some time before TPM... sure, his big rise to prominence came during the invasion of Naboo, but he had been around for a while before that.

Anyway... it's possible, I'm just not sure I buy that idea completely... I tend to agree with what some other people have said, though, that there IS something about the Palpatine/Sidious thing that just doesn't feel right... there's going to be some kind of plot twist in Episode III that will reveal the truth about those two...

21. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    What if Syfo Diaz was a clone?

What if Syfo Diaz was a changeling?

What if Syfo Diaz was Darth Maul?
  22. Skywalker1138 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Since opening night I've seen AOTC three times myself now, and once I'd accepted that the CGI is not going to "go away" and once I separated myself from what scenes I didn't like, I could appreciate certain scenes a whole lot more. I've found that I can relate to a certain character now, and because of this insight, I also understand my own attraction to Luke's character later on. There's something about AOTC that gave me a better understanding to all of Star Wars. For that alone I am greatful for.
  23. jedi_kiss_rock_ Jedi Master

star 1
  24. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    She thinks Hayden is hot.

;) Just teasing, Jenni.
  25. jedi_kiss_rock_ Jedi Master

star 1
    tee hee

i though the movie is great, i will be seeing it again at 3:40 today @ the marcus in mennomonee falls w/ my wife. it would be cool to see some fellow TFNers there, if ya can.

thx
    jedi kiss rock
    :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.