main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reactions to AOTC: spoilers within

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by jedihexer, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cruznseal2

cruznseal2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2001
    ah the icons. everything looks the same.

ITS THE ATTACK OF THE CLONES!!!!

(I guess that makes BYOB is the host)

2. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    I am the original.

3. D-Man

D-Man Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 2002
    I remember the original script calling for a battle above Geonosis, specifically between tons of Jedi Starfighters (in fighting mode as seen in the Hasbro Toy) and TF Fighters/Genosian Fighters. Did Lucas scrap it because of lack of time or what? It was what I was looking forward to the most (aside from Yoda fighting)...

All in all, I LOVED the movie. Some scenes were too short IMO (ending fight and battle, OB1 vs Jango, and Anakin with the Tuskens). Others were too long and drawn out, specifically the chase through Coruscant. Like TPM's podrace, I found myself asking "Alright, this is neat, but when will it end!?!".

The love story was quite believeable, as were Ewan's OB1 and Hayden's Anakin. I could almost feel his pain and anger when he found his mother.

Hopefully the DVD will make my hopes come true on the extended scenes! I could only wish for 40 extra minutes like LOTR.

4. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
  5. cruznseal2

Aug 19, 2001
    hey what happened to the scene that we saw in some of the trailers.

conversation between obiwan and anikin outside bar.

anikin: i've heard this lesson before
    obiwan: you haven't learned anything

maybe i just missed but that seems unlikely. i thought it was a great scene showing the struggle between anikin and obiwan.

also in the trailer there is a different angle of anikin going in for the kiss.

perhaps this will make it into the digital theater cut of the movie.

-mike

6. cruznseal2

Aug 19, 2001
    i just got a copy of aotc of the internet. and after watching pits i seems very possible that there are some new scenes that were left on the cutting floor when this made it into theaters.

i don't wan to get anyone?s hopes up but there are at least 3 scenes in the yoda fight that i don't remember (although the fight moves quite quickly so it is hard to tell if it indeed is new) I have yet to watch the whole thing but if i see anything else of interest i'll let you know.

-mike

7. Skywalker1138

Skywalker1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
    RE: Jedi_Kiss_Rock's statement

LOL--He's a bit too young, but I think Anakin as at this age in AOTC is a character I can identify with.

8. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    Hey Mike --

I just got back from seeing AOTC at North Shore, and I immediately noticed that one scene was altered from the version I saw at West Towne. It was indeed the scene outside the club where Obi-Wan and Anikan are talking. There were two lines (as I could recall them) missing!! One was the one you saw in the trailers (about having learned this lesson before) and the other about Zen going in there to hide, not run. They were completely missing! So my advice is to go see the film at West Towne with the digital sound (Sorry. I don't mean to rub it in). That also made a huge difference. The seismic charges were <blah> in the North Shore auditorium. And that was one of the things I look forward to most in the movie. So, you didn't miss anything because you weren't paying attention. It just wasn't there. :-(

9. SkyJammer

SkyJammer Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2000
    How odd. When I saw AotC at North Shore on Thursday, I didn't notice any differences from the Westtown print. Then again, I was on under 5 hours of sleep and the adrenaline had left my system.... ;)

Also, one of my friends in New York has seen the movie 3 times, once in digital. He said the only change that might be in the digital print is an extra pan of the background at the Arrival on Naboo. No changes to characterization or dialogue or whatnot that he could remember.

-SJ

10. jedi_kiss_rock_

jedi_kiss_rock_ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    i just got back from yet another showing, i saw ahmed and daniels in the club. Ani shadow on the dome on tatoen does not look like vaders, i did hear jinns voice in yodas meditations, count dooku in fact ordered the clones on sidious's behalf.

dooku's ship rocks , i like that solar sail very cool

jedi kiss rock

11. Outlander_

Outlander_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2002
    I agree with some parts needing more. The Tusken massacre for instance. It just needed one more shot... a wide shot with the huts silhouetted off in the distance, a lightsaber blade swinging wildly, and the sound of screaming Tuskens.

The final battle could have been longer too, I can't get enough of the Tasmanian Devil-like Yoda. That alone was worth the price of admission.

If George was worried about the movie length... a little less frolicking in the grass would do nicely.

Still, I loved it!! Must see it again.

12. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    After having seen it twice (and I'm going for viewing #3 tonight), this movie just gets better! And the soundtrack! Wow! It's one of the best parts of the film, especially in the finale!

And Hayden just gets better! I paid greater attention to his eyes, and expressions, and he just floors me! Granted, he's no Mark Hamill, and no one's better than Harrison for me, but Hayden is quite stellar!

Oh, and the little padawan class--they are sooo cute! [face_love] I want one for my very own! ;)

I still hate Natalie, though. I just can't see her as the mother of Leia.
    And what was up with that pressing the same button twice thing? Sheesh! It's a big dashboard--pick another one!

But I love this movie, despite all! I can't wait to go again tonight! :D

13. Red_Jedi_Knight

Red_Jedi_Knight Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    actually dolby is lousy too! i saw aotc in one of the smaller theaters in westown and the sound wasn't as clear and it cut out during the movie for maybe a minute! i missed the lesson lines too. i think there was a part with another handmaiden that was cut out because i think dormi had more lines. i have no idea why i think this but oh well.
    Red*

14. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    I had heard that parts of Vader's "uniform" could be seen in AOTC. I failed to see any, but then I got to thinking...

Is Dooko's cape the same as Vader's cape? I don't have any good pics of either for a comparison...

15. Skywalker1138

Skywalker1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
    Re: LeiaYT1300's reaction:

I noticed that Padme pressed the same button twice too--and they make it so obvious that I was thinking the same thing as you were "pick another one"...

I don't think "more" was needed for the Tusken Raider scene--I think the fact that one wants to see more is exactly the effect the movie was supposed to portray. You get the point of what was about the happen--any more would have been redundant. Anakin slaughtered the Sandpeople--all of them there--we don't need to see it too.

Even after my 3rd viewing I still don't think the arena scene towards the end was done convincingly, but they really tried to do too much in the first place.

I do think all of the lightsaber battles were filmed & ILMed fantastic, and especially the one with Obi-Wan, Anakin, Yoda and "Dooku" (whose name I still think is a joke).

The more I watch AOTC, the more I agree that the 1st half of the movie was 90% better than the 2nd half. I don't know if there were just too many people working on the movie that made it so complicated and weird towards the end or if they were running out of time or if it was intended to be so choppy near the end, but I can't get over the wedding in 60 seconds--what was that? They should have just closed with the shuttles flying and left the rest for next time... by the way, anyone else agree that there's too much to do between Part II & IV for a single movie? Get prepared for some more chop. (unless...??)

16. Darth_Lee

Darth_Lee Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2002
    It'd be interesting to see if any more of Vader's armor can be seen in AOTC. Maybe he pieces the suit together from trophies off people he's killed. He needs to get rid of Dooku obviously, so the idea that Dooku's cape becomes Vader's is pretty logical.

So, I wonder if in Episode III we'll be introduced to someone else originally wearing the Vader mask. That would be...interesting, to say the least.

17. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I felt that Padmé's wedding veil looked like a pearl and lace version of Vader's helmet.

18. Darth_Lee

Darth_Lee Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2002
    I've warned you before to try and deal with your "Vader in lace" obsession. Hopefully you'll seek help somewhere.

19. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    Ya know, there was something about Padme's veil I couldn' put my finger on--I'm going to watch for that the next time--it seemed kinda wieird at the time.

Re: Skywalker1138's post--I agree--there are a lot of crucial plotlines that need to be fleshed out in the next movie--i just hope that we don't skip too far ahead between EP2 and EP3.

20. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    BYOB is correct - Padmae's wedding headress thingy is a white version of Vader's helmet. You see it clearly for several seconds - I think while they are kissing at the end.

To me, it is actually much more obvious than the "Vader Shadow" on Tatooine.

21. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I have no idea what plotlines need to happen in Episode 3, apart from Anakin going completely Dark Side. So I hesitate to judge how much time Lucas has to finish up the story.

22. Kylash_327

Kylash_327 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2002
    Ok, there's one thing I'm still really confused on. Who exactly is Syfo-Dyas? Yoda and Mace acted like they knew he was some Jeid that got killed 10 years ago when Obi told them in their meditating room, but when Obi first said it in Kamino, I thought he was just lying to go along with Taun We. Also, Was Dooku in with the whole setup of the battle, as in knowing that his army was going to loose to the Republic? Becuase he seemed to tell Obi-wan that he knew Palpy was Sidious. Grrr, confusing.

23. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Okay, the button pushing thing = picking at nits. How many different things were the Falcon's controls used for throughout the original trilogy? Far too many. (I think there's even a part somewhere in Empire where they pull the wrong levers for hyperspace).

I also agree with Tom in that there really isn't all that much that needs to be wrapped up, and I'm actually kind of glad we only had a 60 second wedding scene. What needs to be done? The clone war needs to end, something has to happen to Anakin that pushes him over the edge, and Palpatine needs to proclaim himself Emperor (which will fit in real nice-like with the Clone War ending plot).

Sifo-Dyas is either Sidious or Dooku and they really didn't care which side won the battle since I think they're just trying to cause stress fractures in the Republic, so they can step in and bring order (some might say a New Order).

Jeff

24. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    "Was Dooku in with the whole setup of the battle, as in knowing that his army was going to loose to the Republic?"

It didn't matter which side won or lost, as long as war was declared. Dooku constructed both armies for this express purpose: to concoct a war to get Palpatine's authority upgraded and declare martial law, thus creating the Empire.

"I also agree with Tom in that there really isn't all that much that needs to be wrapped up..."

Whoa, easy there, Cobra! That's not what I said. I said I don't know what needs to be wrapped up in Episode 3. And to elaborate on that point, I don't have any desire to find out.

25. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Cobra... I like that. Please call me that from now on.

Sorry to get the wrong idea from your message, but I still think there's not THAT many loose ends to tie up...

But now that I think about it, I'd sure like that Jedi power-loss thing explained...

Jeff, er, Cobra

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.