main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reactions to Power of the Jedi

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    My roommate picked up a copy for me while he was at Gen-Con. I was up ridiculously late last night tearing through it like a kid on Christmas, and here are my initial thoughts:

The Bad
    Force Adepts get a bit of a snub. Then again, this book isn't called Power of the Force Adepts, is it :D Yes, virtually all of the new skills & feats can be used by the Force Adept, but there's little mention of non-Jedi traditions. Moreover, one PrC (Force Warrior) implies that it was the forerunner to the Jedi, however when you reach a certain level in the PrC, you're considered to be a Jedi Knight, not a Force Adept. All things considered, it's a pretty minor gripe in the scheme of things.

Another minor beef I have is that a couple of the PrCs while interesting, seemed unnecessary. For example, why have a Jedi Instructor when there's already a Jedi Master? Then again, I think that D&D is overrun with PrCs, so this is just more of my same rant :p

My biggest beef with the book is where's Qui-Gon Jinn? I mean, they have stat blocks for a HUGE quantity of EU Jedi (Dace Diath, Thracia Cho Leem) and minor Jedi from TPM & AotC (Yaddle, Bultar Swan) but nothing for the lead character in Episode I? :mad:

There were also a couple of other omissions from the stat blocks (Streen, Tionne, & Michah Giett come to mind) that I would like to have seen included. Maybe we'll see a web enhancement?

The Good
    Tons of new skills (like Sever Force from TotJ and Malacia from the Official Site) and feats (like Battle Meditation & Morichro). There's also all kinds of neat stuff like information on holocrons & "Jedi sites" like the Chuun'thor (sp?) and the Great Temple at Coruscant, as well as stats for ships like the Nebulon Ranger. There's also an ingenious explanation of why you only see green & blue lightsabers in the PT.

A couple of the new PrCs are cool. Those of you who missed SW Gamer #9 will be glad to see that the Jedi Weapons Master made it into the book. There are also revised stats for Yoda & Mace Windu, much like the Emperor & Vader got a redux for the DSSB.

The In-effing-credible
    Stats for virtually all of the TotJ characters. Arca Jeth, Thon, Nomi Sunrider, Tott Doneeta, even a pre-DLotS Ulic Qel-Droma. Also, in order to create stats for all of these Jedi greats, it was also necessary to do an Alien Anthology style section. Therefore there are stats on Thon's race and a couple of my favorites, the Cathar & the Miraluka.

Also present are a number of PT Jedi, including the entire Jedi Council. Sweet Jeebus, they are bad-arses one & all!

There are also notes on new uses for old abilities, including the "Jedi blindfighting" seen in the movies, and the "healing trance" of the Expanded Universe.

Serious role-players will not be disappointed. There's a section called "Do you REALLY want to play a Jedi?" as well as notes on the training regimen of the Order of each era. There's also a bit for GMs on how to deal with "lightsaber syndrome" Most importantly, there's information on The Trials!

In Conclusion
    This book gets a Serious High Five! It definately matches the quality of the Dark Side Sourcebook!

2. Maj-Odo_Taji

Maj-Odo_Taji Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2002
    Jedi Merkurian,

I don't care how this sounds, it has to be said:

I love you for posting that!!!

Thanks,
    Maj-Odo Taji

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    My only reaction to it right now is to you for being able to get it early...

**** you... **** you up your stupid ***... :D

But seriously, that's awesome information. Unfortunate to the Force Adept that just started in our campaign, but welcome news nonetheless.

Side note -- my hobby store says THIS FRIDAY for in-stock. Grain of salt, but that's what they said...

4. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Serious role-players will not be disappointed. There's a section called "Do you REALLY want to play a Jedi?" as well as notes on the training regimen of the Order of each era. There's also a bit for GMs on how to deal with "lightsaber syndrome" Most importantly, there's information on The Trials!

Peeked at this particular book, and loved that this section was included. Usually so many people want to be the Massive Warrior instead of the Spear Carrier, and this put it all into perspective. For a change. It's definitely going to be a purchase of mine here, shortly.

5. Darth_Prozac

Darth_Prozac Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    Qui Gonn's stats are in the core rulebook.

Thanks for the review. So far the only two books I feel I MUST get are the Alien Anthology and the Power of the Jedi.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Thanks for the review. So far the only two books I feel I MUST get are the Alien Anthology and the Power of the Jedi.

Although Alien Anthology is mostly outdated now that most of the starting abilities/stats for PC characters has changed from most of the new races in there...

7. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    I've pre-ordered my copy and I'm just waiting for it now...

Now why is the alien anthology outdated? I didn't really get your explanation there dp4m.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Now why is the alien anthology outdated? I didn't really get your explanation there dp4m.

The way that aliens were used out of that book is that PC characters got the feats listed and all the skill bonuses listed. This is no longer the case. In most cases, aliens just give a stat bonus although in certain limited exception (Chiss, Rodian, Duros, etc.) a feat is granted as well. Also, now characters just get circumstance bonuses on skills checks rather than actual skills. This is just part of the differences between pre-revised and revised d20 rules apparently.

Also -- Merk missed the most important part of the PotJ... Kit Fisto's SPECIES!!! :)
    (it's now up on the Wizards site, BTW)

9. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
    Hmm, that would explain why I didn't understand at first. Apparently I'm still using the old "unrevised" rules.

What else is different? Anything major?

I don't want to have to run out and grab a whole new core rules book :(

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Hmm, that would explain why I didn't understand at first. Apparently I'm still using the old "unrevised" rules.

What else is different? Anything major?

I don't want to have to run out and grab a whole new core rules book

You're better off... none of the PotJ will make sense as they apparently completely reconfigured the Jedi classes (as well as other things). For instance -- there's no longer a Throw Lightsaber feat (until PotJ, most likely)... blocking blasters is no longer a feat, it's an inherent ability, etc...

Anyone else think you can get away with the older core rulebook?

11. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
    Hmm, well, it sounds like I might just have to spend some more money :(

12. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    The revised book is definitely worth the money.

Jedi Merkurian, thanks for the post. Now I really regret not being able to go to Gen Con. Old friend just had to get married last weekend. If this book is as good as the dark side book, I will be truly happy. And judging by what you posted, it has everything I was hoping it would. Cannot wait to get my copy.

13. FusionBlaster

FusionBlaster Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2001
    I just have one question for you Jedi Merkurian.

Does it go into the different Jedi fighting styles?

14. Darth_Prozac

Darth_Prozac Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    I'm using the unrevised rules and I'm sure as hell not buying the new book. I know this will fall on deaf ears but if we all run out a pay 30 bucks for slightly new rules every 2 years then they will make slightly new rules every 2 years.
    There was no reason that they needed a whole new book. They could have put all that into a supplement and charged half the price.
    Bad WoTC!

15. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Darth_Prozac wrote:
    "Qui Gonn's stats are in the core rulebook."
    But not the revised core rulebook. That's what bugs me. A major character gets File 13-ed for the rules revision.

FusionBlaster wrote:
    "I just have one question for you Jedi Merkurian: Does it go into the different Jedi fighting styles?"
    Not really, no. At least not in terms of game mechanics. There is some interesting commentary in individual stat blocks. For example, Bultar Swan is a 10th lvl Jedi Guardian who has NEVER killed anyone [face_shocked] and it also implies that she was Micah Giett's (from JC-Acts of War) Padawan. It also describes her particular fighting style.

It also notes in Mace Windu's revised stat block that the only beings to have ever defeated Mace Windu in a duel are Masters Yoda and [face_shocked]Dooku [face_shocked]

There are also some interesting notes about practice duel etiquette.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    An update on Alien Anthology from SWRPGNetwork...

Ultimate Alien Anthology:
    224 page hardcover

- all species can be used as player characters
    - new prestige classes beyond those in the original Alien Anthology
    - history, species traits, new equipment
    - all the new species from Attack of the Clones
    - a "police line-up" of the species from the book to give height and build comparisons for the various species

Available in April in 2003

17. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Also, the book gives, in game terms, how a Jedi becomes a "Force spirit" like Obi-Wan Kenobi...

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Also, the book gives, in game terms, how a Jedi becomes a "Force spirit" like Obi-Wan Kenobi...

I AM NOW SOOOOO STOKED!!!

That totally rules.

:D

19. Ketalis

Ketalis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2002
    Sounds like a good buy.

20. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    i really like it overall. the alien species section is sweet - it really expands the breadth of species available very significantly. the prestige classes are also very nice.

overall, the best effect it has is that it makes the range of diversity in Jedi much, much wider than it was before. you can really run an all-Jedi game and have more than enough variety in terms of background and skills and such and such to have a full cast of Jedi PCs and NPCs and never have to feel like anyone is 3rd Generic Jedi from the Right of the Room. it makes me regret running my game in an era where there are so few Jedi (a few days after Endor right now in game time).

i could have used a bit bigger blurb on Teras Kasi though... i just want to know more about Teras Kasi in general. anyone know much about it?

as far as Force Adepts go, i think they deserve their own book. they could throw in a bunch of splinter Jedi movements and Jedi auxiliary groups and semi-Force-sensitive groups and such. there's more than enough material to make a sourcebook, and it would be really nice to see a huge collection of "other paths" to get a good grip on how many diverse paths there are out there.

it could include material on:

the Witches of Dathomir
    the Jensaarai
    the Guardians of Kiffar
    the Fallanassi
    the Gand Findsmen
    Ithorian ecology priests
    Jawa shamanism
    Antarian Rangers
    Aing-Ti Monks
    those tribal people who live on Ossus in DE
    (do the B'omarr have any connection to the Force?)

any other big ones?

21. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I like to think I'm not the only one who feels that a sense of injustice has been committed upon the Jedi who appeared since Return of the Jedi. The more prominent ones have been described in the NJO sourcebook, but they're under the old rules. I was hoping for these stats to be updated in the PotJ to meet the rules transcribed in the RCR. I was also hoping for details on other Jedi, like Kirana Ti, Dorsk 81, Dorsk 82, Streen, Tionne, Sannah, Lyric, Valin Horn, and the others.

The idea of a separate book to deal with the witches of Dathomir, the Jensaarai, et. al. sounds good to me.

22. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    I got PotJ today, at last. I'm going through it right now. I got a question about Nomi Sunrider - when exactly do her stats apply? In other words, the stats that are in the book, are they for when Nomi arrived on Ossus with Thon and her daughter or when Nomi left Ossus to deal with the Krath. From the text captions I don't believe these stats apply for Nomi at any point during the events of The Freedon Nadd Uprising, Dark Lords of the Sith, The Sith War, or Redemption.

By the way, I don't think the B'omarr monks have any connection with the Force, and the tribal people from the Dark Empire series were the Ysanna.

23. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Is there any mentions about the original 12 at Luke's Praxeum? like who the missing two students are?

A couple of other Force Traditions are the Tund,
    Ner Yan Force Tradition of Cerea
    Ta-Ree
    Theran Listener and Tsils from Nam Chorius

24. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    The only one of the original twelve who were mentioned was Kyle Katarn. I will say that I disagree with the stats in the book. I prefer the stats presented at the SWRPGNetwork website.

25. -Kyle-Katarn-

-Kyle-Katarn- Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2002
    You are kidding, right? Kyle is multiclassed completely wrong on the WotC website. He was born on Sulon, and joined the Imperial Academy as soon as he was old enough. He then defected to the alliance to become a scout/soldier for them, and later became a Jedi. Where do the 5 levels of Scoundrel fit in? Answer: They don't. WotC didn't do their homework, and just gave him 5 Scoundrel levels because of his rugged looks. What does the book multiclass him as? I'd like to hear if they messed up in the book, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.