Reactions to the New Edition

Discussion in 'Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Fingorfin, May 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fingorfin Jedi Master

star 4
    Picked it up today. :)
    I have been skimming through it; I will give it a thorough reading this weekend.
    The New galaxy map is great, many more planets and easier to read.
    Stormtrooper stats are no longer 10s across the board. They are now 12, 11, 12, 10, 10, and 10 for the low level version. There are low, mid, and high levels variations so that they do not become jokes to a high level party.
    The layout and look of the book is excellent.
    That is enough rambling for now. I will post more coherently after I have read it all.

2. Maj_Odo-Taji Jedi Knight

star 1
    Picking mine up this weekend, I'll post a revie wmid-next week. ;)

Maj-Odo Taji
  3. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    It's incredible! From the layout, to the class revisions, to the space combat revisions! Incredible!

Now, if they'd only come out with more miniatures or chits or something to support the grid-based combat rules....
  4. Maj_Odo-Taji Jedi Knight

star 1
    I haven't gotten it yet...does it have the different fighting styles of the Jedi Order by chance? And if so, do they have a mechanical effect in the game?

Thankful For Any Info,
    Maj-Odo Taji
  5. Midnightguard Jedi Knight

star 3
    I can't wait... I'm picking my copy up this coming Friday. Looking forward to it since I've heard they fixed alot of things.
  6. Fingorfin Jedi Master

star 4
    Maj_Odo-Taji, Jedi fighting styles are supposed to be covered in the upcoming Power of the Jedi book.

I am blown away by the new revision. All the complaints that I had about the old version have been fixed. The way Jedi learn to block and reflect blast with their lightsabers is done great.

One mistake that I did notice was on the Heal Another skill. According to the chart if you are trying to restore wound points, do not roll above 24. A result between 20 and 24 will restore 1d4+12 points but a higher result will restore 1d6+2 or 1d8+4. It is a simple misprint, but is kind of amusing.
  7. Maj_Odo-Taji Jedi Knight

star 1
    Fingorfin,

Thanks, I couldn't remember if the fighting styles were supposed to be in the revised corebook or not. From everything I hear, the new book kicks major bantha poodoo!

Maj-Odo Taji
  8. Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    They did a great job its a lot better than the last one.
  9. BoB Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    Damn it, I disappear for a week or two and I miss all the cool stuff. Now I have to put getting that on my list of stuff to do.
  10. Kizakh Jedi Knight

star 3
    The local gaming store in town is holding a copy for me when they come in (today or tomorrow). Agh, now I have to stick close to the phone! Can't wait to see it, though... and I'm very glad to hear that it's good.
  11. John of the collective Jedi Master

star 4
    I still haven't used my 1st edition of the D20 book
    WHAAAAAA!
  12. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    Skimmed it. Hope to get a chance to go in-depth this weekend.

I do have a complaint and a question:
    No mentioning of Qui-Gon, Anakin Solo, Jacen, or Jaina here.

What happened to Force Push? Did they replace that with Force Strike?
  13. Fingorfin Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, Force Push is now Force Strike. DSP for using it on a living being now.
  14. Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, they cut out alot of characters.
  15. Fingorfin Jedi Master

star 4
    It is not that difficult to convert the old characters to the new edition.
  16. Darth_Digital Jedi Master

star 4
    That force strike is kinda amusing. A little urked how a dark side point is thrown on a pc if they use it on a living being.

Like the new Battlemind rule, a little less complicated.

And the BIG THUMBS UP;

For the new hit location / damage / repair time chart!!!!
  17. JudroBathens Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hmmm. I haven't decided 100% what my reaction is. The book looks great; some of the rules changes are pretty good, some I'm not sure about.

Seems to me like a lot of stuff got nerfed on the one hand (Battlemind, for instance) but that things balance out by making lower level characters a bit tougher. Battlemind again, for instance--higher level characters now lose some of the big bonuses they'd have gotten from the skill, but it's much easier for a low-level Jedi to get good use of it--before, they'd have to roll REALLY well in order to maybe get a +1 attack bonus. Now, they can get at least that much with a reasonably low roll.

I really like the Jedi Master prestige class. I have a Jedi Master NPC I've been running in the game; where before, he was a mere 16th level Jedi Guardian he's now a Jedi Guardian 12/Jedi Master 4. Lost one point on defense, but gained a fair number of skill ranks (which seems a fair trade).

I'm not certain how I like the new Jedi deflect ability. It's cool that it's now integrated into the Jedi classes from first level on up (and my players will be happy about that--one poor guy seemed to be a blaster magnet and was all but praying for the day he leveled up enough to pick up the Deflect Blasters feat). But until I've seen how well it works in game (which'll be tomorrow) I'll reserve judgement.
  18. Quiwan Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't like the DSP for Force Strike. So when I'm GM I'll ignore that and decide for myself when a character deserves as DSP.
  19. Fingorfin Jedi Master

star 4
    That is your right as a GM, but I think that a DSP for using Force Strike against a living being accurately reflects Jedi teachings. "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack." Force Strike directly uses the Force to attack, therefore that use of it is contrary to Jedi principles.
  20. Dobermann Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm hearing good things about the revised edition, which is great.
    I won't be able to get it for a couple of weeks on order, so i'll still be able to learn the basics by using the older rulebook right?
    And will I be able to use my character from the older edition in the new one?
  21. Jedi_DuoMaxwell Jedi Padawan

Yes you can learn the basics from the 1st book. As for useing your old character all you have to do is convert it to the new sheet and stats.
  22. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    I think the idea of replacing Force Push with Force Strike, and then saying that using this on a sentient being will give the Jedi a Dark Side Point is wrong. Especially the Dark Side Point part. I'm in complete agreement with you, Quiwan. I mean, look at this scenario, which is inspired by Darsha Assant's mission in Shadow Hunter:

A Jedi is charged with protecting a witness who's willing to testify against a crime syndicate. Unfortunately, they cross with "enforcers" hired by the crime syndicate to kill the witness. They start running away from them. At one point, the Jedi stops, turns around and uses the Force Strike power. The intention is to knock back some of the pursuers, preferably back into other pursuers. It will take a few moments for those who were knocked down/back to get back up, while those who weren't knocked down/back will have to take a few moments to get around their fallen comrades. Those few moments are all the Jedi and the witness need to increase their distance, take a sudden turn, jump into a speeder, etc. The Jedi's intention was to gain a few moments that will ensure the safety of the witness. That's a defensive motivation. I don't see why that Jedi should be awarded a Dark Side point for using Force Strike in such a manner.
  23. Fingorfin Jedi Master

star 4
    In that situation, the Jedi could use Move Object to knock down their opponents. The primary distinction here is that Move Object does not do damage but Force Strike does.
  24. Quiwan Jedi Master

star 4
    I think people don't realize that when you are defending someone or something it is quite likely and often unavoidable to inflict pain on the attacker.

Wouldn't it be better to use the Force Strike than to turn around and start cutting their arms off with a lightsaber? (BTW, I wouldn't give a character a DSP for that either, and if you argue, you've just given Obi-wan at least 2 DSP)
  25. Maj_Odo-Taji Jedi Knight

star 1
    >>>> I think people don't realize that when you are defending someone or something it is quite likely and often unavoidable to inflict pain on the attacker.

Wouldn't it be better to use the Force Strike than to turn around and start cutting their arms off with a lightsaber? (BTW, I wouldn't give a character a DSP for that either, and if you argue, you've just given Obi-wan at least 2 DSP) <<<<

I understand where you are coming form with this argument, but I feel opposite on the issue. It is true that conflict brings pain and suffering, but the goal of a Jedi, as I understand it, is to cause the least pain and suffering possible.

For example, JediAlly noted a situation where Force Push/Strike was used by a Jedi for the greater good and defense of an innocent.

Couldn't the Jedi have just used Move Object to knock a stack of crates in front of the pursuers? Or even used Force Whirlwind to block their pursuit? And if Force Whirlwind wasn't an option, striking the base of a row of braces with your ignited lightsaber while rushing past it, forcing huge bags of goods (food, cement, whatever) to collapse on or in front of your pursuers is always there. Or if you are hard up to try and use the new Force Strike skill, huurl the table between you and the pursuers at them. You just struck the table that is hurtling toward their faces, not them.

Guess what I am trying to say is that there are alot more options than using the Force in such a pure form to strike a sentient being. Use the lightsaber to cause delay, or even creative uses of other Force powers. One of my favorite things to do is when being pursued in speeders, to toss a tarp or some cloth out at my pursuers, then use Move Object to make sure it wraps around the driver's head. Talk about lose control. *g*

Not telling you what to do or not do, it is ultimately your game and you all do what you feel works in that game. Just voicing my opinion on the matter. Hope I didn't hurt any feelings. :)

Regards,
    Maj-Odo Taji
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.