main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Reactions

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by spacyway, May 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Subjugator

Subjugator Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2001
    I thought the R2/3PO scenes were written well.

My only beef is that there wasn't a major space battle at the end that inluded the approching pre-star destroyers. It would have been cool if Federation ships were falling from space onto the battleground.

2. PalpatineJones

PalpatineJones Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2002
    Darth Feldman is my hero

He's seen Attack of the Clones five times already

3. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    I'm really beginning to wonder if it isn't all the hype we build up by ourselves that makes us feel disappointed when we finally see the movie.

In all honesty, I really did thoroughly enjoy AOTC the first time through (although the love scenes dialogue made me cringe), but when I saw it the second time, it all just ROCKED!! Maybe it was because the novelty and new-ness had diminshed a bit, and I was able to let go and let myself be carried away by the story. But it just felt smoother... better... and I loved every minute of it even more!

WOOHOOO!!!!

^.^

4. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I'm looking forward to seeing it a second, third and fourth time. ;)

And the "love scene" dialogue made me cringe, too. Maybe because it reminded me of the crap I said when I was that age, and trying to seduce a beautiful young woman.

That'd make anyone sick.

I think maybe GL just hung out in teen hangouts, and listened to them, and copied it word for word. :D

5. QuiGon_butnot4gotten

QuiGon_butnot4gotten Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    An odd thing. I didn't like the pacing of the movie on my first viewing (I am going to attribute it to standing in the sun for 12 hours). However on my second viewing I didn't mind the pacing at all. None of the dialogue made me cringe. It stayed consistent with the cheesy dialogue from the other 4 movies. It seems like Lucas tried to address every criticism of TPM and correct it in this movie.

6. Rikaelus_Alexander

Rikaelus_Alexander Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2002
    I don't think the dialogue is quite so cringing when you're atleast half expecting it. The second time I saw it only two lines still got to me. Amidala's "I truly, deeply love you", and 3P0's "Shut me down". The former I was even expecting and it made me cringe. I don't recall all that many cheesy lines in original trilogy, but then I've seen them so many times I've forgotten my original reaction.

7. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    I ditto Qui-Gon's feelings on comparing the 1st to 2nd viewing.

8. harpm1

harpm1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2002
    Cringing at the love scene."

Funny, the second time I saw the film I really noticed Anakins drippy words. What it brought to mind was a comment Carrie Fisher made in Indianapolis. She noted how she never cared for George's dialogue and even brought it up to him

Carrie: Nobody talks like that.

George: I do.

Ha Ha Ha

So I took take that into context when watching the film. And yes, it is a bit drippy but hey, maybe space girls eat that stuff up.

9. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    On comparisons to the OT:

I don't know if this has much to do with it, but I get the sense that with the NT, Lucas is taking his time at developing characters whereas the OT, in fact did not know if he was going to have enough money to make the next one. I do know that ANH was a sink or swim thing. Just my thoughts.

10. spacyway

spacyway Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2002
    I just can't wait to see it in Digital!

11. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Saw it for the third time last night. :) :) :) I've now seen it in Arizona, Utah and Wyoming. I'm DYING to see it in digital!! Thing is, my personal goal while up here was to see it 3 times. Well, 2 shows down, one to go! And I'm running out of people to take!! (hmmm, maybe my mom will go... ;) )

^.^

12. spacyway

spacyway Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2002
    So will you be back in town to see it with us in digital Kreleia?

13. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    YEP!! Made sure I would be. :)

14. Talon Squad Leader

Talon Squad Leader Former Manager star 5

Dec 22, 1999
    Good enough for me to not notice N*Sync and enjoy it completely to see it 2 more times. ;)

15. QuiGon_butnot4gotten

QuiGon_butnot4gotten Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    Your highness, I took my mom to see it and she loved it (unlike the last one). I guess it is true SW is for all ages. While we were waiting for the movie to start the 6 or 7 year old infront of us was re-telling his parents what had happened in the other 4 movies (quite accurately also). It was interesting to hear the saga re-told through the words of one so young.

16. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Am I The only one that thought it was pretty lame? Granted it's SW and I'm a huge fan, it just wasn't the movie I wanted/expected. R2/3PO was awful, The whole Picnic scene was pointless and VERY awful. Everyone knew that the main characters were going to survive but they put them in danger anyway. There was no suspense. Dooku had even less screen time than Darth Maul, although he did have quite a bit of lines. Jango Fett started off as a cool character but got progressively worse. Mace Windu was the biggest disappointment. The most ridiculous moment was the one involving Yoda lol. The only thing amusing was his screaming. It was a little better than EpI, much better than EpIV, but not as good as V and VI. Still was better than Spider-Man though! :)

17. Rikaelus_Alexander

May 3, 2002
    I agree with the R2/3P0 and picnic scenes. Is it my imagination, or did Anikin tell Padme that the government she served was dumb, then kill a bunch of people, and still win her heart? If that's the way to a girls heart, maybe the Dark Side isn't so bad. [face_plain]

You had to put them in trouble, though, else there really wouldn't have been any story at all, save for the whole couple actions of Palpatine. I'll stop there for now.. my opinion of Lucas is really low at the moment.

18. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    The biggest problem I had with 3PO was the whole droid/head swap thing. Those antics reminded me a bit too much of Jar Jar, Slayer of Battle Droids, tripping over himself during the Gungan war scene. And that's something I'm trying to block from my memory.

19. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    I agree IA, we could have done without 3PO's antics. But what else are you going to do with him, he's nowhere near the love scenes to stumble into them :)

20. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    You just can't force humor in an otherwise serious movie. Humor has to flow from the Force and the OT is a perfect example of that.

21. j_lauron

j_lauron Jedi Youngling

Mar 3, 1999
    ****...I loved it! I thought everything was great, much better than Ep. I. I don't have any problems with R2/3PO or characterization. Well maybe the so-called loved scenes felt forced. Other than that, it was everything I wanted. Truly the best part was hanging out and seeing it with you guys. What a better way to spend two weeks!
    j_lauron

22. MexChewie

Apr 19, 2002
    Am I starting to detect that the gushing from the first few days is giving way to complaints/critiques?

23. Rikaelus_Alexander

May 3, 2002
    Heh.. I knew it would happen. As I said in my first post, the same thing happened with Episode 1. Everyone loved it until the euphoria wore off. I guess since I approach things with a more sceptical view, I don't fall into the whole euphoria thing. Hmm.. "euphoria" is a really cool word. It's officially my cool word of the day. :)

24. MexChewie

Apr 19, 2002
    I also knew as I typed the post that you, RA, would feel vindicated. I am still gushing and will continue to do so.

25. Rikaelus_Alexander

May 3, 2002
    *snicker* Thanks for thinking of me, but vindication wasn't necessary for me. Some sincerely liked it, some were blinded by initial euphoria, and some didn't like it. Each to their own. Gush away. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.