FF:NZ Read any good books lately??

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Darth_Graal, Jul 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    So anyone read any good books lately?
    (aside from the textbook type for all those under going exams etc.)

Personally I've started some great series lately, Tad williams "otherland" series, 4 hefty tomes, a kind of scary tale about VR gone wrong set in the not too distant future.

and "the wheel of time" saga by robert jordan, a series of nine books, fantasy and damn good I Must say!!.

Oh and the EP2 visual dictionary which ROCKS!!

so c'mon guys and gals, post a recommendation or warn the rest of us if something out there is too crap to be noteworthy!
  2. YouAgain Force Ghost

star 5
    EP2 visual Dictonary
    Lester
    The Tommorow when the war beagn series
    um vector prime
    a couple of NJO books
    i read like one book a day i cant remember all of them
  3. farmboynz Jedi Knight

star 3
    I also read the "wheel of time" Series, very good
    now just waiting for the next one, think it is going to be released end of this year

Also enjoy reading the books from David Eddings

Been reading a few of the SW novels lately also, tales of the catina and bounty hunters mostly

i found those quite interesting

Thinking of getting the LOTR series to read soon also
  4. SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Knight

star 3
    Tad Williams' "Otherland" is genius. I actually met Tad back in '00, and he was a great guy. Graal, if you haven't read his first series, "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn", then read that too ... probably the best fantasy series I've read since "Lord of The Rings".

Right now I'm reading Stephen Baxter's "Manifold" series. Really good hard-SF. The first one is called "Time", and the second one is called "Space".

What else .... Pater Carey's "True History Of the Kelly Gang" (about Australian outlaw Ned Kelly), Michael Chabon's "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay", about two Jewish cartoonists in New york in the 40s and "Cold Mountain", a brilliant book about the American Civil War by Charles Frazier. "Brideshead Revisited" by Evelyn Waugh. "Lord of the Rings" (again ...), and the new Emily Perkins novel "The New Girl".

So many books, so little time ....
  5. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    yeah I have memory, thorn and sorrow (in the large book format with the single to green angel tower) and I loved tailchasers son.
    Janny Wurts is cool love the "empire" series, and master of whitestorm.
    Raymond feist is great too, have almost all of his.
    and also J.V jones (anyone starting to think I'm a fantasy nut?) I have a large collection and am going to have to do something about getting a larger bookcase!!

Haven't read many star wars books, except the "heir to the empire"(??) ones by timothy zahn I think? I tend to live in a Canon universe so some of the stuff in the books Irks me!!
  6. damolay Jedi Knight

star 1
    Not too much of a fantasy/sci-fi reader myself. Only fantasy I've read recently was LOTR trilogy for the 3rd time.

Simply THrilled Honey, I'm about 2/3 way thru COld Mountain, I agree comletely, its a great book. So descriptive & well written. Lookign forward to Natalie playing Sara, the lonely widow mother that Inman/Jude Law rescues her chickens & Hog.

Hmm what else have we read.
    -Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas(Hunter S. Thompson.) This is pure pure Gonzo journalism at its best. A must read for anyone considering the field of media/journalism.

-Just finished Catcher in the Rye(J.D.Salinger) for the umpteenth time. No matter how many times I've read it, its still good.

-ooooo Something I read awhile ago. She(by H. Rider Hagard)a sort of fantasy/reality book about an expedition into the heart of africa to find this woman , the queen of the immortal. Very indiana jones, but in a realistic depiction.

-Another, Perfume (by Patrick Suskind). Weidr, ut very very very good. I'll just say this, its basically about a boy who has a super sense of smell, like he can smell everything, & its baout his adventure to prcure the ultimate fragrance. Soudns like a wacky comedy, but its pretty dark. Goodo.

Thats enuff for now. I could go on for hours.
  7. ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Master

star 4
    NJO edge of victory2 rebirth

8. Buzz-Bumble Jedi Master

star 4

> have to do something about getting a larger bookcase!!

I've filled three bookcases to EXTREMELY overflowing with my collection (and a few my brother keeps here) - my big bookcase is piled two deep x two high on every shelf ... and the on the top.

That's what happens when you get free books. :)
    Although not Star Wars ones unfortunately. :(
  9. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah I know where your comin' from there, I pick up new books every time I go to the market. Not just fiction either, I'm starting to get together a nice wee cookbook collection too.
  10. SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Knight

star 3
    Damolay .... we share disturbingly similar reading tastes ...

"Perfume" and "Cather In the Rye" are both favourites of mine. I did like "Fear & Loathing ..." but can only take so much of that gonzo stuff.

Glad you like "Cold Mountain" ... it'll make a great film, I just hope they don't screw it up.
  11. Buzz-Bumble Jedi Master

star 4

AAaaarrrgggghhhhh!!!! Not Catcher in the Rye!! NNNnnnnnnoooooo!!!! :eek:

{Hides in corner reliving insanely boring school English classes}

:p
  12. Lil_Lisa Jedi Master

star 4
    I had to study that in high school too. I liked it but hated the way we had to dissect every single sentence of it and study it til it's all the way up our arse. [face_plain] That, and my 6th form English teacher was a bitch.

But it's a nice book! :D
  13. damolay Jedi Knight

star 1
    Cheers Simply Thriled Honey.

It is quite odd really, our tastes being somewhat similar. Ahhh the ppl u meet on SW forums.

14. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    Anyone read "Brave new world" by aldus huxley? Kinda of freaky vision of the future written in the 30's
  15. SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Knight

star 3
    re: "Brave New World". It's good. I went through a real 'dystopian' phase a few years back. I don't think it's as good (or as disturbing) as "1984" though, which is probably my all-time favourite book.

If you liked "Brave New World", try "A Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood, or "The Man In The High Castle" by Phillip K. Dick. Both offer up interesting and bleak views of our near future.

Lawrence
  16. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    Just finished "reach for the sky" a biography of ww2 fighter pilot and double amputee sir douglas bader, very inspirational stuff. Highly recommend it!
  17. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Read "LOTR Photo Guide" (in about 10mins)

A childrens book of the Fellowship of the ring, with direct quotes from the script and some previously unseen pictures ( :D) and captions for all the pics. (70+ pictures) Very cool for the young or the young at heart or the collector.

Reading "The Two Towers" (for the second time) I feel as if I've seen the TTT movie already after seeing FOTR and the TTT trailer twice more last week!

Also currently reading "A Tolkien BESTIARY" I'm up to "D" for "Dragons" - VERY COOL and at only $20 - a must for Tolkien Fans!
  18. Lil_Lisa Jedi Master

star 4
    Anyone seen the cute little AOTC hardback at Borders? It's a new one that just came out, I think it's a bit like the junior novelisation of AOTC, but, well, even more junior than the junior novelisation. It's got illustrations in it too. Very cute. :D
  19. Buzz-Bumble Jedi Master

star 4

Nope, I was going to go into Borders and Dymocks in the city last week and check for Acklay beasts at the Downtown Warehouse branch, but got tied up with work. :(
    Maybe I'll get there this week.

I started reading the book Empire Building - the remarkable real life story of Star Wars that Kitt(?) was reading a while back. It's quite interesting, although some of it is guess work and plain made up - it's certainly got some strange "facts", eg. I always thought it was Alec Guniness who wanted out of Star Wars so they killed off Obi-Wan, but according to this book George Lucas and Gary Kurtz killed off Obi-Wan to speed up the storyline. Hmmmmmm ... more likely it's a combination of the two "facts". :)

20. Norrad_Roff Force Ghost

star 4
    I've almost finished reading the "original" version of Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle. (in english)

Good story. The movie (Chuck Heston) isn't too far off plot-wise but I haven't got to the end yet, so I don't know what the "twist" (if any) is.

Next, I'll read The Hobbit. Got it for my b'day. I haven't read any Tolkien so far, so I'm quite looking forward to it.
  21. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    The hobbit is great, good primer for the LOTR too.
  22. YouAgain Force Ghost

star 5
    One thing about the hobbit is that it doesnt get good to like half way through and has tons of people in it so dont give it up after the first chapter
  23. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    bollocks! doesnt get good to like half way through pifft! It's great right from when poor bilbo mets the first Dwarf!

And then running down bagshot row without his hanky! MY WORD!

But seriously it is a great read and you MUST read it before LOTR.

I still think LOTR was a slight... ever so slight, let down - as I'd become so attached to poor Bilbo Baggins - then the ring goes to his *adopted nephew*!

oh well I'm over it now and I grew to love Frodo just as much as Bilbo.

I'm just up to the part where Frodo and Sam meet Faramir after the taming of Smeagol. mmmmm Coneys!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.