main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA READ NOW!! February Meeting Info

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Rox , Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Is there going to be a seperate Feb agenda page or is this it?

Things for the agenda:

Permanent meet place/time: Should we and if so where and when?

Comicon raffle items: I am suggesting that the Jar Jar Jar become the Binks Basket (I'm looking at the size of some of the items and don't think they'll fit in a jar) I also suggest that the other items for raffle could be a Hero Basket (with 1966's contributed saber and any other stuff we come up with having to do with Jedi, Rebel Alliance, and scruffy Corellian pirates) and a Villian Basket (Sith, Imperials and Bounty Hunters) What say you all?

Meeting fundraising raffle: Anyone got an item for the Feb meeting? If this would appeal to enough people I have a "Anakin Skywalker Interactive Jedi Training Lightsaber" I'm willing to put up for raffle. It talks, makes 'battle aciton sounds' and lights up. . .

Money stuff: we have $90 in checking. We need $100 for the Comicon right? What other expenses will be needed and how much? Like the cost of the magnets for the SWAP give aways and printing costs for handouts. I'm also thinking that the 'next big thing' for spending the SWAP money on would be the summer picnic (cost of renting the pavalian, plates, cups, door prizes if we play games like we did at the Life day)

2. Mrs_jedi_1966

Mrs_jedi_1966 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    heidi - we also have to drive 1 hour = I was thinking about people like joe & tom that consistantly drive 1 1/2 hours. They come to all our events and always have to drive well over an hour. I didn't mean to slight anyone. *sorry*

GC - are you still compiling a list of local companies for me to call & "solicite" for donations for the comicon raffles? Let me know = it usually takes a while to get a reply from these people about stuff like that

3. Lando_Da_Pimp

Lando_Da_Pimp Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Living in Washington Pa is a good 40 minutes away from Pittsburgh. I don't mind doing it since i do it everyday for work. Get used to it

4. Noble_Kale

Noble_Kale Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2002
    I definatly like the idea of making it a certain day each month. Sundays are defiantly better for me also.

As for location, the Gray Goose was fine with me. It was easy to get to and I liked having the bottom to ourselves so we could do 'our thing'. It did not matter how loud we got we did not disturbe anyone.

As for driving, myself and or CK drives a good hour to hour & 1/2, depending on traffic, to get to the East side of Pittsburgh. Having the meetings in the east side (i.e. Monroeville, Harmarville areas) would be great for us but we need to consider everyone elses driving situation also not just a few. If the GG is the best locale for everyone then I suggest we make that our 'Offical Meeting Location'.

As for the money issue, the cheaper the better. As Mara-Hari said, "I think we should keep it as reasonably priced as we can". For myself, money is not an issuse as I have been working several years at a full time professional job. But there are other people in this group who are in high school, college or have other financial situations that we must consider. We do not want to exclude people because they can't afford to associate with us because of how expensive it is to belong. This group is about promoting our love for Star Wars and sharing it with others with the same passion.

5. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Another agenda item.

Could we spend $7.70 to get checks with the organizations name on it?

6. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    I definitely like the idea of one specific day per month. Last Sat or Sun. Also I like the idea of having it at the Grey Goose every month. (For the record), I have had to drive at least 45minutes to 1:00 for every meeting as well. I don't mind the distance. Also I like Fluke's idea of having a different location. Here is just one suggestion...
    Every third month we have it at King's in Hamarville. The "schedule would then be something like this:
    Jan, Feb, Apr, May, Jul, Aug-Grey Goose
    Mar, Jun, Sep-Hamarville Kings

This leaves October for an annual Halloween costume party/meeting. (Unless you all would like to keep these seperate) November Can be members choice as Thanksgiving takes up the last weekend and (although is not on Sat or Sun) usually keeps people busy) We could have a yearly DVD party/Meeting at a members house.

Of course Dec NO meeting because of the holidays.

What do you all think?

GreenCat, let's make this a topic for discussion at the Feb meeting.

7. Mara-hari

Mara-hari Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2002
    Sal, I like the sound of splitting the months up as far as locations go - that seems like a fair way to do things based on the location of the majority of the people here. And again, I don't mind the hour drive (as long as I can figure out where I'm going - which is sometimes a problem for me. ;))

8. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm opposed to meeting at the Goose every month. I'm sure there are people that aren't going to want to pay 10 bucks a meeting. If we can use the room for free, sure I like it. But if we have to order food everytime I don't. I don't want money to become an issue for every meeting. At the last meeting we voted on meetings did we not?

9. Mrs_jedi_1966

Jun 14, 2002
    Not to sound B*tchy, but didn't you read my entire post? :

"and if you don't want to eat you don't have to and then it wouldn't cost any one $$. "

They have a menu to order from just like any other restaurant. If you don't want to eat you don't have to = & thus = won't cost a dime (or even a penny I guess :p )

IT WOULD BE COMPLETELY FREE, and if you want to eat = that option is available too. I'm sure there would be some people who would want to eat ~ considering the normal time and length of our meeting.

****REMEMBER**** If we don't eat at King's they charge $50 to use their room.

10. Saberpilot

Saberpilot Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    *raises hand*
    I don't know if we need one for this month or next, but I have a little set of books & stuff that I could auction off- call it a 'book bag' full of SW books, calendars, & goodies..
    Or, I could auction off as well, drawing skills- get a free (well, technically, not free if it's an auction) framed drawing of yourself in the SW universe..?

11. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Sorry Carrie, I missed your post.

12. RebelDawn

RebelDawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2002
    I like the idea of a regular spot for meetins. I know I've never come to one yet. But when I get to come I will have quite a distance to drive and rather than having to learn directions to a different place every time, I like it better if it's someplace I know how to get to. Make sense? lol

A regular day sounds good too.

And as for not having to eat every time, that's cool too, as I would most likely be dragging 3 kids with me to any meetings I might get to attend, altho, if we're in a restraunt, they'll probably mention food at some point, they ARE kids afterall, lol, But not having to be out money to feed us all every time is good.

Anyways, that's just MHO.

Tina

13. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
  14. jadalyn

jadalyn Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2002
    I missed the dead line. I would like to say that I don't care if we have a buffet or if we have to order from the menue.
    As for were the next meetings should be held if money is an issue we could go to kings and who cannot afford to order food does not have too, there is still going to be some people who are going to order food.

15. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    I have found a possible place for a future meeting/gettogether. Check It Out

16. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Fluke, I've been dying to hit that place ever since I heard about it like two months ago. I was hoping maybe to get like a whole horde of people to go one day. That'd be so sweet...

Likes the idea of eating behind bullet-proof glass,
    Yours Truly

17. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    That Robot place looks SO COOL! We have to plan an outing to it. Maybe not a meeting, but just a SWAP night out of dinner and Robot fights :D

18. Mrs_jedi_1966

Jun 14, 2002
    agree = outing NOT a nmeeting

19. Saberpilot

Saberpilot Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    O.O
    *claps*
    Wow- that place looks neat!
    I would like to enter the drawing thing with a thing of my own..
    *looks over last typed words, scratches head, then figures it makes sense anyways*
    I am going to have a *book bag* for the drawing- I have a bunch of *extra* SW books that I think someone else would be happy to have- including some Jedi Apprentice books, and a whole Jedi Academy Trilogy. :)

20. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Another group event idea could be WWE Smackdown, which comes to the Mellon Arena on March 11th. I know that we are trying to cut down on the events that cost money, but I noticed that the Arena's website has a group pricing phone number. I could call and find out more info if there is enough interest.

21. Mrs_jedi_1966

Jun 14, 2002
    any time I have went to see wrestling in person (with the exception of when ECW was around) I have been EXTREMELY disappointed. I don't know if it is because it's live or if they just don't think Pittsburgh is a big enough venue = but it seems like everytime they've come = it's been pretty crappy and a waste of money and time :( sorry :(

22. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    So I take it you didn't go to King of the Ring when it was here?

23. ZeroCool69

ZeroCool69 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2002
    Oh my. Anyone who said they were at that King of the Ring and didn't enjoy it is either a liar or blind. Just wow. I'd be willing to go see Smackdown, depending on the price of course. I'm always up for some good, wholesome violence :)

24. MetalliJedi

MetalliJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    I'd be game for that. I know Dan and I had a blast at KOTR and I love goin to the live shows.

25. MetalliJedi

MetalliJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    I have 2 figures to be auctioned off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.