main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Read the novelization, or see the movie, which first?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarBlazer, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarBlazer

StarBlazer Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    I think the novelization of AoTC comes out in April (please correct me if I am wrong) but how many of you will wait to read the book until seeing the movie? I think I will see the movie before reading the book, but I'm still not sure.

What does everyone else think, I could use some input.

~Star*

2. Fez-i

Fez-i Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2002
    I imagine I'll do the same thing I did for Episode 1: Buy the book as soon as it comes out and then let it sit on the shelf until I've seen the movie a few times. As much as I've managed to spoil myself about the plot already, I'd still like to watch the story unfold in the movie before reading about it.

3. Nitro29

Nitro29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    I would read it when it comes out just to see if the book is better, and might help you understand something in the movie you don't understand, or vice versa. But if you don't want to read it because you don't want to be spoiled, then I'd stay away from this forum until you see the movie because you know the book is going to be talked about a lot when it comes out.

4. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    i will buy and read the book before the movie, i don't mind being spoiled.
    edit:eek:n sencond thought i probaly will watch the movie first.

5. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Except there will be no need if folks follow the spoiler rule. Even if the book comes out in April, it will not be until some time in June (or the first of July) before threads need not include the spoiler specification in the title. Seeing a thread titled something like "AoTC novelization (Spoilers)" would tell folks who don't want to be spoiled to steer clear of that thread.

Remember, all threads concerning new literature (books, comics, etc.) must use the spoiler specification for the first two months that work of literature is out. (Though it does seem that just when the two months ends is the question. SbS threads had to contain the specification until Dec. 31st even though it was around Dec. 19th that the book had been out for two months.) If a thread does not contain the specification, then those who post the spoilers will face consequences. And I believe spoilers must only be posted in threads with the spoiler specification in the title as someone who may not want to be spoiled could go into an innocent enough thread and end up finding someone who responded to the author's initial post with a spoiler of the latest piece of literature.

6. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    movie first then book

7. ShadesOfGrey

ShadesOfGrey Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2001
    There is no way I will read the book first. A few spoilers are ok, but I don't think I would enjoy the movie much if I knew everything.

8. wilde_karrde2002

wilde_karrde2002 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2002
    I'll see the movie first. To me, the movie is an event, the book's not. Plus, there will likely be more backgroud detail in the book, which could help fill in some of the cracks left by the movie.

9. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    I'll probably pick up the book before the movie comes out, but I won't read it until I've seen the movie. I generally like to visit the source - if a movie is based on a book, I'll read the book first; if the book is based on the movie (as with SW), I'll go to the movie before reading.

10. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    I will read the book before seeing the movie, it's just the way I am.

As for the spoilers thing, all boards are Ep2 spoiler-free except the dedicated ones, and the book is included under the heading of a spoiler. But as Knight said, the general Lit spoiler rules also mean that you should not get spoiled, and we will do all we can to make that happen.

11. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Comic/Novelization then the movie. It is the way of things.

12. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I'll read some parts and not others. I don't read much of anything with the Fetts, because I want to be surprised,
    or Geonosis.
    Though I've heard a bit more of Geo., because it's in the trailers. But I will read the Ani/Ami parts because I've been spoiled so much there anyway.

13. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    See the movie first then read the novelisation

14. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    I'll see the movie about 5 times and THEN I'll see it again. I won't read the novelization.

15. Silac5

Silac5 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2001
    Movie first.

16. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Read it first

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Definitely the movie first. Definitely BUY the book ahead of time though. I got to see the movie to fill my head with the visuals and rich pageantry of the film. Get a bearing of the plot, watch fantastic lightsaber dueling, etc. Then I go home and read the book to examine how the plot gets expanded. Read about thoughts occurring in people's heads that don't get translated on the screen.

For instance, with Episode I, I saw the movie and got clubbed over the head with "Anakin is the sweetest, nicest child in the galaxy..." until I read the book and read about his dreams. THAT was very nice foreshadowing that could not have worked in the movie.

18. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Since I don't think the paperbcak will be released in April, I won't be tempted and I'll see the movie first. :D

And I'm confident I won't get too much spoiled by those who have read it. There will be some exceptions, of course, but I trust the admins to take care of that. :D

19. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    definitely waiting for the movie. I don't like being spoiled anymore.

20. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    For ANH, read the comic before. Movie blew me away. Read novelliztion after. No real effect.

For ESB, read the comic before. Movie blew me away. Read novellization after. No real effect.

For ROTJ, saw the movie. Movie blew me away. Read comic and novel adaptations after. No real effect.

I read the TPM novellization early, and found it to be extremely well-done. Characters' motivations and feelings were much better captured in the novellization. I went into TPM expecting a whole lot, based on what I read in the novellization (as opposed to the hype).

I was let down by the movie. Key scenes like the Maul/Hanger scene and the Obi/Maul resolution were just screwed over, IMO when compared to the novellization (and script and screenplay). I don't think the movie captured things as well as it could have.

So, I'll hold off reading the novellizations this time so I can see the movie for its own merits and not think when seeing it, "but wait... that's not right..."

For AotC, I'm going to wait for the movie - not because of the "spoiler things" however.

21. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Movie first and quite likely second. How many times after that, I can't say, but definitely the movie before the book. I don't even plan on buying the book until after I've seen the movie. Anything I can do to avoid being spoiled. I'm still pissed about the soundtrack for TPM spoiling Qui-Gon's death.

Amazing.

22. Plurimus

Plurimus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 1999
    Though I sometimes regret reading the detailed storyboard descriptions, I have to know as much as I can for research purposes (see profile).

Being a teacher, my kids always ask me why I'm checking out Star Wars stuff on the Internet. I always tell them: It's research. Then I tell them if they want to do something as fun as research Star Wars, they have to study hard and get good grades.

23. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I'd read the book first. I never know when I'd get to the theater.
    Or:
    You could try reading the book and watching the movie at the same time. It could get confusing though.. :D

24. hallben3000

hallben3000 Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2001
    Well ive pre ordered every EP 2 book i could find on Amazon, most are coming out end of April. Ive got everything from th novelisation and graphic novel to the art and corss section books. I will read them when i get them and be spoiled rotten, hey the more the better.

25. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    Movie first. It's kind of ironic because usually I'm on the side of reading the book first. But that is when the movie is made because of the book. In this case, the book is written because of the movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.