main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Read this before posting a new thread. Not kidding.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by AdamBertocci, Feb 8, 2005.

1. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Outrider, I get the feeling you didn't catch the reference.

Durb... was it? I don't remember. All I know is that the Earth was demolished five minutes before the completion of the program. Or do you mean the scrabble-esque experiment that Dent tries to carry out with the natives that's something like, "What is nine times six," or something like that?

And it isn't much of a stretch to believe that this is an alternate universe where the question has been found, and that that question is, "What *IS* Meatball?"

Hrm. Let's continue this in PMs, or in the social thread. Hijacking is bad, m'kay? (Even though I started it.)

2. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    Copyright has been popping up a lot lately. Maybe a small write-up on what's legal, what isn't, and what shades of gray are permissable at what times?

3. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    DarthArjuna posted on 3/31/05 8:47am
    Copyright has been popping up a lot lately. Maybe a small write-up on what's legal, what isn't, and what shades of gray are permissable at what times?
    [hr][/blockquote]

Actually, the answer is very simple, people just don't see it:

If you have to ask, it's illegal.

You'd be surprised how often that works. Meaning that, if the question arises in your head about whether it's okay to do something, chances are a lawyer somewhere has already answered your question in the negative. That's what they get paid for. That quick rule of thumb will serve you 95%+ of the time.

4. RIPLEY426

RIPLEY426 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2003
    EDIT: oops, wrong thread...

5. Cryptite_

Cryptite_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2004
    I think all this *Meatball* stuff is pure, utter nonsense that means nothing and is referenced to by too many who don't know what it means (like me). Make it go away.

6. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Cryptite_ posted on 1/4/05 2:49pm
    I think all this *Meatball* stuff is pure, utter nonsense that means nothing and is referenced to by too many who don't know what it means (like me). Make it go away.
    [hr][/blockquote] Forgive me, but...

[face_laugh]

7. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Here are a few things that I felt could be mentioned here...

Which is better for rotoscoping, After Effects or Photoshop?
    It all depends on what you're doing, but one thing to remember is After Effects is made to handle video while Photoshop is not. So if you plan to be working with anything other than still photos After Effects is most likely your best option. However, purchasing AE for lightsabers alone is not a good purchase - make sure you can justify the expense and put the program to good use!

I need someone to create/animate a CG model for my fanfilm.
    While a lot of the FanFilm community works with animation software, this sort of question actually belongs in this topic over at SciFi-3D.

I have an awesome idea for a FanFilm! All I need are people to help act, edit, composite, rotoscope, score, and compress it for me!
    This sounds like something that would be said in jest but it's asked as a serious question most of the time. Simply put, you have to be willing to do a lot of work to get good results. How will people be motivated to help you if you aren't passionate enough about the project to put forth the effort yourself? Have a plan, stick to it, and make sure you're planning to work hard on your project.

I'm having some problems with After Effects - HELP!
    Your best bet is to of course read the documentation that came with the application. You can also check the wealth of information here for answers to any Adobe program.

Where's the _____ button in AE?
    See above answer.

I need some free sound effects for my film.
    Take a look at this topic or this topic for some great links.

I want to post my file for people to see - where can I upload things for free?
    Please take a look into this topic.

Hope that helps!

8. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I think you may have misunderstood this particular thread. It's more of a 'forum behavior' place than a 'technical resources' thing.

However there are a couple of points in your post worth addressing. One's already covered, but, well, picking-and-choosing now.

Rick McCallum loves you!

9. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    I was just mentioning some of the common questions people ask. For more technical answerers they would need to follow the links. :)

10. krnbanguboi

krnbanguboi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2005
    Adam thanks for posting the tips at the top of the page but most nOObs won't follow these lol

11. Padawan_John

Padawan_John Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2002
    To expand on Jedi2016's post above, I found this to be an excellent explanation of copyright.

Nyar.

12. Brandeni

Brandeni Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    wait, am i supposed to read this everytime I go to make a new thread?

lol j/k

13. DMPjedi

DMPjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2003
    Anyone wonder what's happened to this little point? It's sad when I can click a thread and know before hand that it's going to be a one or two liner :(

14. Darthness

Darthness Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    I have a picture of myself holding a lightsaber prop but don't know how to add a glow, could someone do that for me?
    There are plenty of people on this board who would be willing to do that for you. However, unless you have a good reason not to, just post the pic in the thread so anyone can just quickly photoshop it, and post their photoshopped version in the thread. If you ask for people to give you their email addresses so you can send them the pic and they work on it and send it back, you might not get any helpers because it will take a lot longer that way.

15. beafet

beafet Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 12, 2001

[image=http://www.freewebs.com/pressenterproductions/DontFeedFig.JPG]

For all the n00bs that will read this.

[face_plain]

16. VirulentShadow

VirulentShadow Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2001
    *is not a n00b*

CrewofTwo is down, but I'm trying to get Duality and Duel to put in my collection... anyone know what happened to 'em?

17. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    The site has been down for quite a while, however a link was posted to the video in this thread. :)

Hope that helps!

18. VirulentShadow

VirulentShadow Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2001
  19. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    Apologies if this has been answered already - I've never been in here before.

I used Adobe Premiere to make a RotS trailer from trailers I managed to find, hack to bits, and sew together again. I set it to music from Jay-Z and Linkin Park's "Hybrid Theory", and I think it's pretty awesome, but that's just my opinion, so I wanted to show it off, even if it does seem lame in comparison with what you uber-techies are capable of, because it's mine, and I made it without any kind of training, and I want a sort of benchmark to come back to as I progress in studying film editing.

*deep breath*

So where does it go? New thread, old thread, not allowed, what?

@};-

20. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    There's actually a music video contest thread right now, isn't there? You could always throw it in there.

21. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    Now, you would think that a thread like this would be the exact opposite of a bad thread, apparently not.. any ideas why?

Is it because it would attract to many n00bs with stupid questions, or because it sounded too sarcastic, it really wasn't sarcasim, trust me, it's just my natural personalityO:)

22. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    Just out of curiosity, if I were to start another, nearly identical thread, that would be a bad thing, right?

23. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    Okay then, I will. Like I said, it's set to "Hybrid Theory" - Jay-Z/Linkin Park stuff - so it's got a certain questionable word in it. That a problem?

@};-

24. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Yep - that would not be a good plan. :)

25. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    Posted at mod's request.