main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD READ THIS FIRST -- Welcome to the Forum and Thread Index

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by surlygirlie, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Welcome to the Costuming & Props Forum

Welcome! If you like to dress up like your favorite Star Wars character or try your hand at building your own lightsaber, then this is the place for you! This forum is where you can discuss and ask questions about how to make the costumes and props of the Star Wars universe. You can find the basic forum rules and a comprehensive thread index below. The index will be updated periodically.

Forum Rules:

Please take the time to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and guidelines. A comprehensive overview of them can be found in our FAQ. All new users should read the FAQ before posting.

Here is a quick reminder of the basics:

-Do not post links to unlicensed costume and prop dealers. You may use the private messaging system to share links with other users, but posting them in the forum is strictly against the rules. Doing so will result in your post being edited and repeat offenders will be dealt with accordingly.

-No soliciting. This includes creating threads with the sole purpose of asking where to purchase unlicensed costumes and props or asking for someone to make and sell you an unlicensed costume and/or prop.

-According to the FAQ, you may link to an E-Bay auction if it is:
    1) Your own auction
    2) You have the express permission from the person auctioning the item off.
    3) Or, you have suspicions about the auction being a scam.

-No flaming, trolling, or spamming. You can find definitions of these terms in the JC Terms Glossary in the second post of this thread.

-Be mindful of posting spoilers. Not everyone who visits this forum wants to see or read movie spoilers, so please keep them out of thread titles and please keep discussion and/or images of spoilers relegated to the threads labeled spoilers.
    It is alright to discuss spoilers within the threads labeled as containing them by having the words “Spoilers” in their titles. [​IMG]

-Do have fun!

Redundancy Policy:

Having multiple threads on the same topic not only clutters the forum, but it also scatters useful information and causes people to repeat themselves. So, before creating a new thread, please do the following:

-Check the first FIVE pages of this forum to see if there is already a thread similar to it. (This is assuming your settings show 25 topics per page.) If there is, add your thoughts to the pre-existing thread, instead of making another one.

-Also, familiarize yourself with the thread index listed below. It is a good resource for our most comprehensive and popular threads, including many that have fallen past page five of the forum. More than likely, you will find the topic you are looking for in it.

If you do start a topic that's already being discussed, a moderator may close it and redirect you to the similar thread. Don't be offended by this! It's nothing personal; we're just trying to keep discussion and information as organized as possible.
    Also, if there is a pre-existing thread about a specific costume or prop that is very comprehensive and multiple pages long, but has fallen back past page five, a new thread created about the same topic may still be considered redundant. The moderators will take this issue of redundancy on a case by case basis.

Hyperspace Policy:

Our policy on posting Hyperspace hosted materials is the same as that elsewhere on the boards. The following was written in the 3SA forum by dehrian, and it applies here as well:

You may not quote Hyperspace. Paraphrasing is allowed, but no direct quotes.

You may not post images exclusive to Hyperspace, though you may post signifigantly altered versions of images. If you have any question over whether your altered version is altered enough to be safe for posting, consult a mod before posting it in the forums. If it is not altered enough, you may still be held accountable.

You may not link to other sites posting images from Hyperspace.

You may not solicit or offer to distribute Hyperspace content.

To Clarify, you CAN link to Hyperspace content on the Official Site as it requires a login, but linking to Hyperspace material hosted at another site is strictly forbidden.

Thread Index
    Note: If you find that one of the indexed threads is locked and you would like to post a reply in it, contact a moderator. They will be happy to unlock it for you.

Last updated Dec. 8, 2009

***MAIN CHARACTERS***

Anakin Skywalker:

C3PO:

Chewbacca:

Count Dooku:

Darth Vader:

Revenge of the Sith:

Han Solo:

Leia Organa:

• A New Hope:

• The Empire Strikes Back:

• Return of the Jedi:

Luke Skywalker:

Obi-Wan Kenobi:

Padmé Amidala:

• The Phantom Menace:

• also see: Sabé

• Attack of the Clones:

• Revenge of the Sith:

R2-D2:

***OTHER CHARACTERS/GROUPS***

Aayla Secura:

Adi Gallia:

Admiral Ackbar/Mon Calamari:

Asajj Ventress:

Barris Offee:

Chiss:

Clonetroopers:

Clone Wars Cartoons:

Dormé:

General Grievous:

Handmaidens:

Imperial Officers:

Imperial Royal Guards:

Jabba the Hutt:

Jabba’s Dancers:

Jaina Solo:

Jango & Boba Fett:

Jawas:

Jedi:

Jocasta Nu:

Kit Fisto:

Knights of the Old Republic:

Luminara Unduli:

Lyn Me:

Mara Jade:

Mon Mothma:

New Jedi Order characters:

Oola:

Rebels:

Rogue Squadron:

Sabé:

Shaak Ti:

Sith:

• also see:Count Dooku and Darth Vader

Stormtroopers:

Tusken Raiders:

Twi'Leks:

• also see: Lyn Me, Oola and Jabba’s Dancers

Winter:

Witches of Dathomir:

Yuuzhan Vong:

Zam Wessel:

***PROPS***

Blasters:

Lightsabers:

***GENERAL TIPS & TRICKS***

Sewing Tips:

Dress Forms and Display Mannequins:

Fabric Dyeing and Weathering:

Prop Making Tips:

Sewing Machines/Sergers:

Miscellaneous Topics:

***NON SW COSTUMING***

Off Topic:

2. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    Glossary of Common Terms & Abbreviations

• AFAIK: Rarely used abbreviation for "As far as I know".

• ANH: Commonly used abbreviation for the film Episode IV: A New Hope.

• AOTC: Commonly used abbreviation for the film Episode II: Attack of the Clones.

• BTW: Commonly used abbreviation for "By the way".

• ESB: Commonly used abbreviation for the film Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.

• EU: Commonly used abbreviation for the Expanded Universe of the SW saga. The EU consists of all official SW-related material outside of what is considered canon (the films and novelizations of those films).

• FAQ: Abbreviation for "Frequently Asked Questions".

• FF: An abbreviation for FanForce.

• flaming: The act of insulting another member. A bannable offense on the JC.

• GL: The abbreviated name for George Lucas, the man who created Star Wars.

• HP: The abbreviated name for Harry Potter. HP costumes often means costumes for any character in the films/books.

• IM(H)O: Commonly used abbreviation for "In my (humble) opinion" or "In my (honest) opinion". It is often used in the JC after or before a person states his opinion on a subject.

• JC: Commonly used abbreviation for the Jedi Council.

• LOL: Commonly used abbreviation for "Laughing Out Loud".

• LOTR: Commonly used abbreviation for The Lord of the Rings, the literary and now film saga that is very popular among SW fans.

• muslin: a first version of a costume made in an inexpensive material in order to try out everything before doing the real costume.

• NJO: Commonly used abbreviation for the New Jedi Order book series/characters.

• OOAK: One of a kind. Term for truly unique objects, often used about customized dolls.

• OT: Off topic or commonly used abbreviation for the original trilogy of Star Wars.

• PM: Commonly used JC abbreviation for "Private Messages", messages that are sent privately through a Snowboard feature. This feature is an alternative to e-mail. Messages cannot be erased, though they are sometimes pruned by the server. Sending PMs containing flaming and/or overtly offensive material can result in banning.

• POTC: Abbreviated form of Pirates of the Carribbean.

• PT: Short for prequel trilogy.

• redundant thread: A topic that talks about a subject that already has an existing thread.

• RotJ: Commonly used abbreviation for the film Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.

• soliciting: The act of advertising, trading or selling via posting threads in the forums. Repeated acts of soliciting usually result in banning.

• spamming: Posting many times consecutively, posting simply to up your post count or posting identical threads across several forums. Soliciting (trading, selling or buying) and advertising also fall under spamming.

• spoiler: An unofficial tidbit of information that reveals too much about a film or a book. A clearer definition for what is and isn't a spoiler can be found here.

• SW: Abbreviation for "Star Wars", the film saga that brought us all together.

• TF.N: An abbreviation for TheForce.net, the home of the Jedi Council.

• TPM: Commonly used abbreviation for the film Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

• trolling: The act of inciting a negative response by flaming, fishing for flames or posting negative/offensive messages repeatedly.

3. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    Our previous sticky expired, thus this new one.
    Since the boards will be moving to a new board system in the near future (for the answers to many of your questions about the impending migration, see this thread), I'm not sure what will happen with sticky threads. Theoretically, they will move, intact with everything else, but in the event of a de-stickifying problem, this index will be maintained and "stuck" in whatever manner the new system provides.

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks for re-sticking it. :D

5. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    wow, that's a VERY good index, i am impressed.

btw, i dunno how new this banner is, but this is my first time seeing it and i absolutely LOVE it. gorgeous!

6. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    All the credit for the index goes to Dawn -- she made the original one when she was the C&P maven.
    I just try to keep it updated. :)

7. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    May I recommand we have an official Quick SW Costumes thread and get it included in the List? Or change the title of an existing one and continue there. ;) Seems like a few people are starting to ask about how to go about doing that in recent weeks.

Ya, when I first started, I rely a LOT on assebling my costume parts from my wardrobe or what I found in shops and now still do here and there when the right stuffs comes up.

8. fahrettin

fahrettin Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2005
    Hey,

I am new here and wanted to say hello,

-F-

9. darthhomeboy-G

darthhomeboy-G Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 2005
    Hi there, i'm new myself as well. and stll learning as a young (50sh ) jedi in the force. cant wait to meet you all...in a galaxy far far away!! (mich)

10. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Maybe We should have a Sticky thread called introduce yourself, new members can post there, talk bout their interests in costumes, etc....

11. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    It's a good thought sal. Not sure if a sticky would be the way to go though, perhaps we could just add it to the Thread index for quick reference. I don't know how much this sticky actually gets read by the (new) people it's intended for, so another one, well....

Anyone else have more ideas for such a thread?

12. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I agree that it would be a nice thread to have but I don't think making it a sticky would be necessary.

13. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    ok, thanks for thinking bout it, I think it would be a nice friendly thread.:)

14. weemansith

weemansith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2005
    Hey there. I'm fairly new to the boards, ( 3 months) and love it! I've been looking about to find out how to post pics here. I've been working on my Anakin ROTS costume and it's starting to come together. Do I just post a link to like a yahoo pic site or can I do pics that actually show up in the actual thread? I'm kinda new to this type of stuff, so ant help would be greatly apprecialted.

15. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Welcome weemansmith!

Check out the link on the bar above called Markup Codes for the list of tags to do links and images.

You'll have to host your pics on someone's webspace - yours, your friend's, Yahoo, imageevent, webshots - there are lots of free image hosting sites out there. Then you can link them here.

16. weemansith

weemansith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2005
    Thanks a ton S_S! That helped greatly.

17. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    I am having trouble finding the Jawa thread. I do a search, and nothing comes up.

18. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I think their might be a problem with the link button, whenever I try to post a link for people to refer to and use the button, it shows up blank, so I have to go back, edit, and just put in the normal link... Maybe its just my computer though....
    -Thanks for checking it out!

19. diego1235467

diego1235467 Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2006
    I just joined the threads a couple of days ago, and so far I'm really liking it, though I'm not getting much feedback on my topics :-( . Anyways, that welcome thread idea seems like it would be pretty cool.

20. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Here's our Social thread (it's the sticky thread right above this one); you might want to introduce yourself there! :)

Welcome diego!

21. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    Ditto. Is there a Jawa thread?

~Doc_Bev

22. quigonjames2006

quigonjames2006 Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2006
    this is cool. i put together a qui-gon costume last year for halloween.

i didn't have the hair quite right, and i did recently get a green force fx saber.

[image=http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/jamwest/c4.jpg]

23. darthnave

darthnave Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2005
    Yeah, you still need a mullet. Lol.

24. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    JUST A QUICK POST-MOVE NOTE:

One of the issue we had with the move is that long posts all got cut off during the migration. Case in point, this fantastic index.

However, never fear! The data still exists; we just are trying to write a new conversion software that will enable us to upload the rest of the cut off posts.

In the meantime, please utilize our shiny new Search option to look for threads!

We've also been using the Tagging system to tag some of the more popular costume threads (Padme & Leia), so you can also search through those by clicking their respective tag.

As always, if you need a thread unlocked, please just contact one of the moderators!

Thank you so much!!

25. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I have edited in the original index as it's taken a bit longer than I had hoped to fix the truncated post issue. I'll slowly be working on restoring all the links, but if you want to find one before I can get them fixed, the url number is still the same, so just copy/paste the code into a url from these boards and that should take you there. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.