main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Read this if you're up for a good argument...

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by alpha_red, Sep 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    JC is more up to this, only senator post in the EU senate and you my friend aree not one

2. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    I think this thread is fine to stay so long as only the real topic is dicussed and it remains EU-related.

I'm certain there's multiple threads about this topic in the YJCC and the Senate Floor. You guys could relocate there to keep discussing this as you are. Or, you could start a new thread in YJCC, maybe copy-paste what's already been said, and continue the conversation.

Also, anyone can post in the EU Senate, but the purpose of that thread is to disucuss and manage the EUC. This wouldn't go there.

3. JainaPadmeJade

JainaPadmeJade Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 20, 2002
    Ok i have a lot to say about this.

I think their can be similairities drawn from the YV but ALL terrorist ahve the same goals....it's just the one's that are driven by a divine force that are more fanatical and dangerous. Their not for material things that only last for so long. A god lasts forever in their minds and they feel it is ther destiny to kill people.

About American partiotism...yes I agree that Americans r taking the war too far, but we couldn't satnd back and not do anything. Face it, i head this quote from some late night show "If this happened to Big Ben in England or the Eiffel (sp?) tower in France, those countries would have taken their guns and blasted the entire Middle East out of oblivion." We had to defend oursleves...and we have a right to be proud of our country. Thousands of people dies that day...innocent people...that's why we fight. We don't fight for world power or our own delusions of grandeur...we fight for the right to remain free and to be able to go to work and live our daily lives without having to worry about getting killed. This is the state we are living today.

Next time...comparing the Jedi to the US

Love and Lightsabers~JPJ

4. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Do I have to repost a new topic to get it going in the YJCC, or can I simply move the thread?

5. orangefuzz

orangefuzz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2003
    The Yuuzhan Vong kind of remind me of the Shiite (sp?) muslims at times with their self mutilation and everything.

6. Gaeri

Gaeri Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 12, 2003
    The Shi'ite and the Sunni Muslims are really only as different as Protestants and Catholics. The differences look big when you belong to the groups in question, but they still follow the same Scripture and many of the same principles. That doesn't refute what anyone has said, but I just want to point out it is dangerous to single out the Shi'ites with respect to the rest of Islam on this matter. And I don't believe the Shi'ites deserve to be compared to the Vong, any more than Buddhists, Rabbinic Jews, or Baptists.

Very dangerous thread you've started here, alpha_red, because it toys with things very near to some people's hearts. You've done a good job sticking to your original topic. Try not to get to frustrated when this turns into something more political them you meant it to be. Can't argue with fools and drunks. It would be nice if posters stuck to the topic instead of trying to score political points.

I appreciate that you decided to compare the Al Qaeda to the Vong and not the entire Islamic world to the Vong. Al Qaeda is one of many groups throughout history that has taken religious values as an excuse in themselves for killing. The values of Al Qaeda are often lumped into the values of all Muslims, and though the Qu'ran tells believers to turn all the world to their religion, so does the Bible. The essence of the Qu'ran is peace, the essence of being a Muslim is the submission to God. Basically, I just want to make sure no one tries comparing Islam to the beliefs of the Muslims; it would be ignorant and uncalled for, and such misconceptions still are heard too often for my tastes.

I believe there are aspects of the Al Qaeda that are on par with the Vong. There have been other groups throughout history that you could draw a similar link to, but Al Qaeda is the most current example. Lucas definitely looked to the Nazi regime when designing the Empire for ANH (look at the uniforms!), so perhaps authors of the NJO having been lifting characteristics of groups like Al Qaeda when writing their tales. However, I think they simply share the link of violence predicated on religious conviction, and I do not believe on was based off the other. I believe the NJO authors used the idea of religious fanatics in general, but did not copy any specific group.

7. benTantilles

benTantilles Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2003
    "IMHO war with Iraq has EVERYTHING to do with oil."

that's not quite true. the iraqi war has cost the US government around $80 billion so far and it's expected to spend much more over the next few years. it's no point spending that much amount of money to occupy a country whose oil deposits are largely crippled (and whose supply of oil, i might add, they'll have to share with the iraqis themselves and other nations who'll want a piece of the pie) when the relatively sum of $15 million can be spent developing the Alaskan National Wildlife Refuge (which is estimated to have more oil than iraq & kuwait combined) to obtain its oil deposits--its AMERICAN oil deposits.
    no, war with iraq has more to do with having another powerful ally in the middle east, among other reasons.

you're right, there are some parallels which can be drawn between the al qaeda and the yuuzhan vong, but then again, like what lexu said, u can probably drawn parallels between even jews & jedi. the creation of the yuuzhan vong was most likely based on religious fanaticism as a whole rather than the al qaeda specifically, a stand which is consolidated by the fact that vector prime was released before 9-11, the tragic event which thrust the al qaeda into the limelight, and thus conceived way before then.

"They don't care who they shoot, as long as it's an enemy."
    in a time of war, that's a characteristic not really limited to the al qaeda & the vong, isn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.