main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reading an EU novel (How fast are you?)

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by JacenHornSolo, Feb 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JacenHornSolo

JacenHornSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 29, 2002
    I suppose the essential question here is:

How fast do you read a regular novel?

But I want to add more.

I like to take my time when I read a book. I get into the characters, and the story. I'll sometimes reread something someone said over again. I want to know everything about the characters!

I don't understand how people can skim over a book, or skip over parts "they don't like!" The whole book is great! (even the parts that don't totally move you, have a place in the story)

I mean, I read posts all the time where people are like, "I finished the book in an afternoon." "I skiped over the Vong/Jacen/Senator parts..." How can you do that?
    (I say that in the most loving way possible. I mean no offense.)

So, what type of person are you? Is the underlying question here.

2. Devi

Devi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2002
    Well, I do have to confess that I'm a skip-ahead-er. ;) I always combine this with the resolve to read the entire book (one page after another) later on, though.

So it's sometimes I read through a book fast, and sometimes I savor every paragraph. Depends on the mood, and the book.

3. Ysanne_Isard

Ysanne_Isard Jedi Master star 5

Oct 27, 2002
    I can finish a book in an afternoon, without skimming/skipping, for the very simple reason that I'm a really fast reader. I can read approximately 250 pages of a novel an hour. I always go back and reread because I love reading, and it's a lot cheaper to reread books than to buy new ones every day.

4. Devi

Devi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2002
    I'm a big re-reader, too. :) Can't even count how often I've read (my favorite passages in) my favorite EU books (X-Wing series, Zahn's books).

5. JacenHornSolo

JacenHornSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 29, 2002
    Yep rereading is the thing! :D

I've reread Zhan many a time.

And I'm rereading the entire NJO again. :)

6. jedishellyskywalker

jedishellyskywalker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    I'm a very quick reader. I read Remnant in about two and a half hours, then started to read it again as soon as I was finished!

7. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I'm a fast reader :D. I usually finish reading an EU novel in about three hours, give or take. It depends on the novel length. I don't usually skim the book, well just the mindless political babble or the parts where Jacen is being a whiny moron (he's much better now, though :)).

The I re-read the bits that I liked :D. I love re-reading the X-wing novels (specially the Wraith Squad ones) which I find really funny.

8. SithTahiri

SithTahiri Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    I am a really fast reader. I read SbS in two days.

9. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    Depends on homework, projects, amount of sleep, and of course, the book. Most SW novels I'm through in a day or two (I don't skim). I still haven't finished Remnant, though. The book is good, but it's the other factors that are getting in the way. :(

I can't count how many times I've reread the Wraith books. And SoA, and Courtship, and the Zahn books, and the Solo trilogy... :p I really need to reread the NJO, though.

10. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    I can read a book, cover to cover, in about two to three hours (depending on the length), without skipping anything. I've been reading as long as I can remember, and, to me, there's nothing more relaxing than curling up somewhere with a good book.

~Inyri

11. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm a fairly fast reader, but if I really want to make sure I get the details right I slow down.

12. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Lately I've found myself reading only during class. :p

I usually can finish a new novel in a couple days. I reread about the same rate. If it isn't a SW novel I tend to go slower for some reason.

13. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I could read a regular sized 300 page or so novel in about a day, if I could get off the internet long enough.

And I don't skip ahead. At all. If I don't understand something completely, I reread it a couple times until I do.

14. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I can usually finish the average EU novel in a day or two. I never skip reading a section entirely, but I have been known to skim ahead to see when my preferred characters next appear. I really savour on the second read though, and I'll pick up and re-read favortie sections to see if I can get something new out of them.

15. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    When I first got it, I read SbS in less than 24 hours (counting school, sleep, etc. I've slowed down recently, though

16. CptCorranHorn

CptCorranHorn Jedi Master star 5

Oct 16, 2002
    I can read any of the EU books in under 5 hours, usually, if I dont have to work.

And after I'm done with one, I usually reread it about a week later, and finish it much quicker.

17. Kyp_side_of_TheForce

Kyp_side_of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I read very slowly... about 20 pages/hour :(
    ...but somehow, I still managed to finish my fave book (DJ) in one day :D
    I skip parts, but not if the writing is really good. If I don't like the writing style, or I'm starting to get bored with a section, I generally skip it... I hate the bad guy parts... except in some books...
    I am big on re-readng, though... I've read the X-wing series, DJ, SbS, Conquest and Rebirth about 10 times each...

18. JediMasterBrett

JediMasterBrett Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2003
    I read Remnant and DW in about 7 hours each. So I guess I don't read as fast as some, but fast enough. If a book is good enough, i.e. Star Wars, I usually can't force myself to put the book down!

19. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    I'm not particularly fast, I usually read a couple of chapters a day unless I've got some time to kill and go on a binge.

If I sit down and actually read non-stop, I can probably plough through something the size of SbS in about a day, maybe a day and a half.

20. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Fast.

It also depends on how much I'm into the book. If I'm really into it, I can finish a book in a few hours. Otherwise it will take me two or three days spending one or two hours a day reading.

21. Jedi_Sha

Jedi_Sha Jedi Master star 5

Oct 13, 2002
    lately it's taken me longer to read but simply because i have no time. if i have the whole day to myself, though, i read really really fast. i have finished a 500 page book in one day.

i sometimes skip ahead to the back of the book, just to see if a character is still alive by the end, but star wars books i make myself NOT look, cuz i don't want to spoil anything.

22. REBADAMS7

REBADAMS7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    Fast- except for the battle scenes - I have to slow down a bit for those, but the SW paperback is usualy a 1-2 hour read.
    Reb

23. Starr_Squadron_three

Starr_Squadron_three Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    I read pretty fast, but it all depends on the book. Sometimes it takes me a day if I have nothing to do. The last SW book I read took about a week, but that was because I couldn't sit down and read for more then 2 hours because of classes, work, homework ans tons of other stuff. If I'd been able to sit down and read I could have finished it in a day, no problem.

24. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Fast. Really fast. FH1 lasted me three hours, tops, without skipping details.

It's almost depressing when it takes me less than three hours to get through books that come out about every three to five months.

25. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    It takes me three days to one week to read a book! And I don't skip any parts!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.