main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Reading NJO...Again

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicewood, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    The assumption that such an empty platitude is at all effective is insulting. The fact that a character who was haphazardly shoehorned into being Anakin's apprentice in the Clone Wars said it makes it even more so.

Sanguinius and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I agree-the quote is pretty patronizing and insulting to Legends fans.

Sanguinius and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Huh I've been quoted in a thread that was created well after I last logged in.

I suppose I'll need to read it.

Edit: Working backward, I see on the prior page that someone asked about dropped plotlines we would want to see.

The entire NJO is a dropped plotline that I would like to have seen continue. And I don't mean that it was dropped due to the Disney acquisition.

4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    You can blame Troy Denning for that. It was under his leadership the stories, themes, and worldbuilding set up by the NJO were abandoned.

It truly is a tragedy-because the NJO and its potential successors had so much that could have been achieved.

5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  6. spicewood

spicewood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 26, 2007
    I really hated DNT. Still going to reread it after NJO, hope I like it better this time. I enjoyed LotF though, and enjoyed half of FotJ (just thought it drawn out, could’ve been four or five books).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sanguinius likes this.
  7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    On the topic of things I would have liked to see more of from NJO: Going solely off the Wookieepedia article, the Knightfall storyline might have been interesting. It would apparently have involved both the droid rights movement, and developed Danni Quee more, both of which I would have liked to see. (On this topic, I think that Danni ought to have taken the place of Nelani in Betrayal.)

Funnily enough, at least going by the Wook article, Knightfall would have had Threepio leading some kind of anti-Vong droid movement... shades of his droid spies from the nu canon?

On the subject of the Invasion comic: just avoid it. The first arc is decent, but only decent, and it goes downhill fast. As mentioned, the character of Kaye is one of the worst in all of Star Wars, old or new canon. And the storyline, while providing some nice visuals after the fact to things from NJO, has a storyline which by the end of the comic completely contradicts the NJO in a way that is almost impossible to realistically reconcile with the novels.

8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    What part of Invasion contradicts the novels? I don't remember it at all.

9. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The issue of droid sentience was sadly a sub plot the NJO largely abandoned.

As for Nelani Dinn-I honestly didn't have an issue with her character, we know she had a crush on Jacen and was apparently instructed by him at some point in the decade prior to 40 ABY(though the writers messed up with the seven years thing). She seemed kind, decent, and not at all unintelligent.

One thing I had wish we had gotten was an official picture/drawing of Nelani Dinn.

10. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Invasion ends with a Yuuzhan Vong defector leading a combined group of New Republics, Imperials, and refugees making a broadcast to the entire galaxy, openly as a Yuuzhan Vong, stating her goal of making an Outer Rim faction to break away from both the NR and Imperials under her rule. That's the sort of thing that while technically not violating the NJO novels, also strains credulity that it would be happening at the same time and not be noticed by anyone during the events of the novels.

As for Nelani, she's a classic case of a character who shows up out of nowhere, has connections to the characters but not to the reader that all happened off-page, and then is supposed to be just as important to the reader as she is to the characters.

spicewood likes this.
  11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Thing is with Nelani we see just enough of her, her personality, and points of view(even if don't have a chapter directly from her perspective), and emotions she isn't a red shirt. Her relationship with Jacen apparently was apparently strong and believable enough that I was genuinely moved when he impaled her at the end of Betrayal. But we don't see her beyond one book. So not a red shirt but not an overall important character either. Enough to get somewhat invested in but not enough to truly know.

However speaking of Danni Quee-I found it strange that her character was largely forgotten except for a brief appearance in DNT and a mention by Caedus's personal droid when the droid was running through the names of the women he apparently dreamed about(that was a weird scene in Inferno).

I wish we'd seen her appear in LOTF if nothing else to get her response to Jacen's downfall.

spicewood likes this.
  12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Danni Quee was being corrupted by the Sith Lord Darth Sekot like Jacen was.

Revanfan1 and OutsiderJediSam like this.
  13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Well I have heard of fanfic ideas where Zonama Sekot becomes a Sith apprentice so I suppose it isn't completely out of the realm of possibility.

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Well, given that Sekot imparted more direct instruction to Jacen than Vegere ever did, I'd say it's likely Sekot was part of Lumiya's plot.

15. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Zonama Sekot I think was closely connected to the light side and the living force.

Dawud786 likes this.
  16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I think I've decided not to continue writing about the NJO in-depth.

But I am interested on writing on the canon materials that rise out of the same ideas.

17. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Why abandon writing about and discussing the NJO?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  19. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    18 years. I feel so old...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SiouxFan and spicewood like this.
  20. spicewood

Jun 26, 2007
    These links are awesome and will keep me occupied here on the mountain, so thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. spicewood

Jun 26, 2007
    DigitalMessiah has really stirred my interest. No longer is it just a reread of a series I liked. Vergere's challenge to the new Jedi is my new focus. She may be an unreliable character, but the questions she raises are important. I took a lot of her philosophy at face value back when I originally read the series. It was useful to an infantry Marine in Iraq. Choose and act, quickly, but own your actions. But it goes a lot deeper. I wasn't a super being, Jedi are, so where does that philosophy take a Jedi? A Sith?

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Troy Denning says "yes."

23. spicewood

Jun 26, 2007
    Didn't enjoy where that took us.

24. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Just finished Dark Tide II: Ruin. What a tragedy Ithor is. Especially so with KOTORII in mind, and the Ithorians' subtle facility with the Force. And the irony of the Yuuzhan Vong conceiving of themselves as warrior *for* life as they so wantonly and callously destroy it by entire planets.

How much more ironic would it be if the EU had lightsaber crystals as semi-sentient kyber crystals as the Vong viewed them as "blasphemous weapons?" Couldnt help but think of that during Corran vs Shedao Shai.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

spicewood likes this.
  25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    But did you read my chapter by chapter commentary on it?!

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/a-cynical-walk-through-the-njo.50014486/page-89

Starting on that page. Another massive NJO thread to read for those interested, BTW

spicewood likes this.