main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Reading NJO...Again

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicewood, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Absolutely. Great scene. Be starting Traitor tomorrow, should have a *ton* of reading time on my hands this week so may get to read it in a few days.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I remember my first read of traitor-I never closed a novel feeling so amazed and satisfied.

3. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I was a bit young the first time and found Traitor jarring, but loved it on a re-read.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    It truly is a wonderful book. The best Star Wars book ever written.

5. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Is it just me or does the Jacen on the cover of Traitor look similar to Ehrenreich's Solo?[​IMG][​IMG]

6. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Damn.
    I see it.

Sinrebirth and Dawud786 like this.
  7. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Jacen always did resemble his father.

Nom von Anor and Dawud786 like this.
  8. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Finished Traitor the other day. Still great. Ganner's Last Stand is epic as hell. I could hear "The Spark" from TLJ as Ganner confronted the Vong.

The passages for Ganner and Jacen experiencing Oneness are still some of the best in Star Wars.

Starting Destiny's Way.

Ummm. Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade into BDSM?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    SkywalkerShine likes this.
  9. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I think it's just playful pillow talk. They always had a lot of witty sarcastic repartee in their marriage.

10. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Try to imagine that scene with Mark Hamill 2018.

11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    It probably wouldn't come across well.

But speaking of the NJO and Hamill-I know it won't happen but deep down in my heart of hearts I really want it to-I want to see an NJO adaptation. Either a TV series or series of movies.

SkywalkerShine likes this.
  12. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I'd be interested. Which books strike you as "Episodes", which "Stories" and which would you make tv series? I could conceive of NJO as a multi-media blitz. The Stackpole and Allston books read like tv series to me. Dark Journey and Traitor are may "A New Jedi Order Story" type thing. VP, BP, SBS, DW and TUF are obvious candidates for "New Jedi Order Episodes," probably need a 6th Episode though.

13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The way I imagine it is a sort of combination of a GOT style TV show and movie series.

Vector Prime through maybe Hero's Trial could be a miniseries. With Star by Star being a 2 and half hour movie. And traitor, dark Journey, and destiny's way all being movies. Same thing I think with the edge of victory Duology.

The force heretic trilogy would work as a miniseries leading into the final prophecy and TUF which could be split into two movies

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  14. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    My idea for NJO TV Series (10-12 episodes each):

Season 1 - Vector Prime, Dark Tide I & II and Agents of Chaos I & II
    Season 2 - Balance Point, Recovery, Edge of Victory I & II and Emissaries of the Void (possibly)
    Season 3 - Star by Star, Dark Journey, Enemy Lines I & II, Traitor and Destiny's Way (until Jedi knighting)
    Season 4 - Ylesia, Destiny's Way (Duro to Ebaq) and Force Heretic I, II & III
    Season 5 - The Final Prophecy and The Unifying Force

AusStig likes this.
  15. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Luke's discussion with Vergere, in Destiny's Way, about responsibility for Jedi turning to the dark side reminds me of Luke's mental state in The Last Jedi and the message Yoda delivers to him.

On the one hand, Luke feels seemingly out of character in TLJ, and on thr other he's in a pattern similar to that of Legends Luke. He may not have completely fled the scene in Legends, but he certainly had the same egotism to take responsibility for the entire universe on his shoulders. Disturbingly, Ben/Kylo seems to be just what Luke and Vergere discuss about Palpatine: deliberately choosing evil rather than being swept up by dark passion.

Vialco, Ghost and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Thinking of Vergere-I do wonder how the story would have been different if she sacrificed herself at Ebaq 9.

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    She did... do you mean if she didn't?

But it's funny how Troy Denning never tried to reconcile her becoming a Force Ghost with her apparently being an evil Sith. I think the weirdest explanation was Denning saying something like "she's a Sith who did evil things, but she's not evil, because she doesn't have human biology, she's another race/species" or some weird stuff like that.
    I also love the conversation in Destiny's Way where Vergere warns Luke about becoming a Jedi Dynasty that over-concerned with legacy... which is exactly what Kylo is all about.

AusStig and Dawud786 like this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    When did he say that?

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It was an interview, I think I remember reading it on Starwars. com sometime in the first 3/4 of LOTF.

20. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Oh typo on my part-sorry-if she had lived is what I meant.

21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I assumed Vergere wasn’t dead and just created a projection to speak to Luke and faked her demise.

Piloting was not something we’ve seen her do... ever?

Joining a Force meld while a spirit... ever happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So she was lying about it ...

23. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I really like the knighting ceremony in Destiny's Way. I know there's been some that dont like the whole Sword of the Jedi thing, but that was the Force talking, not Luke... and i think Denning could have handled that way better than he did in the succeeding novels. I found the whole ceremony pretty moving, frankly.

AusStig and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  24. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I think it's pretty telling that other than a few minor references, the Sword of the Jedi thing isn't picked up again as anything major until Denning's first entry in LOTF. You can tell he was just wracking his brain trying to think of something for Jaina and glomping onto that to become her sole character trait.

25. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    And even then, the majority of LOTF just has that whole bogus love triangle crap with Zekk and Jag. Jaina becoming the heroine that takes down Caedus felt like it was pulled out of their backsides late in the game after they realized making 15 year old Ben the big hero was a bit premature.

OutsiderJediSam likes this.