main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Reading Order?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Snokers, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    I've read Darth Plagueis by James Luceno which is now considered 'legend' instead of canon, I want to start reading the new canon Star Wars novels and am going to order the ones that are currently out from Amazon, anybody got any recommendations on what order I should read them in or if they are even worth reading at all?

Cheers!

Here's the books I was going to order:

Tarkin by James Luceno
    Lords of the Sith by Paul S Kemp
    A New Dawn by John Jackson Miller
    Dark Disciple by Christie Golden

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Some here seem to favour AND while many here seem to dislike Tarkin. I am very hopeful to finally get and read Tarkin in roughly a month. I have learned to take most reviews here with a grain of salt. Most seem to come in with glaring projected biases. I'll say give them all a try and I hope you like them. :)

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    In terms of story benefits, it doesn't matter too much.

I would suggest reading AND before LotS though.

4. Snokers

Jul 8, 2015
    Yeah, I've had a look in the Literature forum a few minutes ago and people seem to dislike Tarkin haha, I seen a few reviews on Youtube of it that said it was great though so I think I'll take your advise and take the reviews on here with a grain of salt :)

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  5. Snokers

Jul 8, 2015

Ah okay I did hear that A New Dawn was a good one to start with but I haven't seen any episodes of Rebels yet so I obviously won't be familiar with the two main characters but I plan to start watching it soon.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't worry about that, I've yet to watch Rebels and got on fine. Book gives you all you need to know.

7. Snokers

Jul 8, 2015
    Thanks man, I'll start with A New Dawn then probably Tarkin since I'm desperate to see if I like it or not then LotS and take it from there.

8. sir PING1

sir PING1 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2014
    Personally Tarkin has been my favorite of the new novels, its short, but has lots of cool scenes in it that really delve into the inner workings of the upper echelon of the Empire and does a good job of showing the relationship between Vader and Tarkin, both points making A New Hope even better retroactively (even though I never thought that 4 could get any better honestly, since is close to being so dang perfect). Overall I don't think it really matters what order you read them in, it could be release order, canonical order, or random order, but so far it seems every canon Star Wars novel released yet has been worth a purchase.

TrustyTrooper likes this.
  9. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    The Vader and tarkin interactions definitely the best part of Tarkin. But there were just certain part of the book were Tarkin just does feel like Peter Cushinga tarkin to me. I won't spoil it for for either TrustyTrooper or Cushing's Admirer by getting into what since neither has read it yet.

10. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    That's great to hear. That is what I will judge Tarkin on, does it read like I can believe Sir would be like Tarkin is written. :)

AnakinColodin likes this.
  11. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    Cushing's Admirer, it does for the most part but there are some sxenes were it does not. But you are probably a better judge then I of how it matches Sir as you most likely have scene more of his work then I.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  12. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Oh, yeah, I'm expecting Luceno to hit some off notes but the preview was decent so I have hopes over all I'll feel it honours Sir. :) Probably have at that. I've seen nearly 60 of Sir's works to date. :)

13. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    I still enjoyed it. Lucerno is my 3rd favorite star wars author after Tim Zahn and Michael Stackpole.Lucernos prequel era work gives him just the edge over Aaron Allston for me(I love allstons humor, though, yub, yub commander and all)

14. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I think I will too. :) Luceno is my fave SW novelist, but i prefer the ref books.