main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Ready Player One- book and film discussion thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Jan 20, 2016.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That's the fairest thing said in this thread other than tom's post above.

Diggy likes this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    But that's never been said. You're literally moving goalposts in order to to maintain a position of comfort with this book (and assumedly, film), and your response to the criticisms of the writing has been largely "but they reference Zork and Tomb of Horrors, and I get that!"

You're not even denying this above. It's about enjoyment. The criticism we've made has been that it's a poorly written, masturbatory exercise in which the author essentially gets revenge on any those bullies (who don't care), by making a future in which people with his exact interests are the keys to enrichment. The premise was "what if the world revolved around me and all the things I like..."

And let's talk the problematic conclusion. The prize is not even the keys to saving humanity, and toppling The System. It's the keys to the winning lottery score, with nobody else diluting the prize pool. It's basically Cline trying to figure out how best to become a neo-Kim Dotcom and acting it out in a book. Nobody's better off except the neophyte billionarire who won the game. Huzzah, for as the Bible foretold, the Geek have inherited the earth. Nice guy geeks, with a tipped fedora just out of range.

You confuse your proximity to this culture with an attack on your tastes, but you've never once taken the criticisms to task. You've simply sulkily thrown hastily cobbled-together molotovs at critics as if they were saying "you're wrong to have liked the nerd culture stuff first time around". That's not happening.

3. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    No but he's a Nice Guy so things will be better now he's in charge.

Ender Sai likes this.
  4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    ITT bullies mad they're villains in a story

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    and frankly I'm surprised Case and Molly don't show up in the book or trailer, putting Reason together before explaining the impact Neuromancer had on sci-fi and how Snow Crash was oddly prescient, before explaining in depth that Reason's inscribed nameplate, reading Ultima Ratio Regum means "the last argument of kings" in Latin and reminds them of the game series Ultima, created by Richard Garriot who would have loved the Oasis.

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Please don't doxx my RogerEbert.com pseudonym.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Outsourced, CT-867-5309 and tom like this.
  8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Some of the poster taglines that we may see for this film:

"I'd hit it" - Honest Trailers guy
    "More like, Anthony Rape, amirite?" - Kevin Spacey
    "//faps disappointingly" - Louis CK

9. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Soon, hopefully, we can move on to the idiocy of the Tomb Raider reboot, which has been panned by both the Hindustan Times AND the South China Morning Post.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Ender Sai likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    but I've played the first Tom Braider reboot game as well as the old games. When she jumps and uses the climbing axe, I get that reference.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The heart of the issue is that certain people here hate nerds so they come here to piss on everything.

12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    ... and then you proceed to lecture me on that very subject.

I get that you don't like it, Ender. But, like I said -
    Let me know if you want to take me up on my offer to actually discuss other literature that does a better job of doing nostalgia for geekdom. I've never said it was one of the great novels of sci-fi.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No, you've never not said it either myron which is what was confusing.

I suppose the starting point is Snow Crash, since the highest level concepts for RPO were lifted directly from it?

14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    A few weeks back my cousin wanted a good sci-fi book for his birthday so I got him Snow Crash, but I've always thought Cryptonomicon was the better novel. It was a little derivative itself - I mean, the title literally refers to the same phenomenon cited in the opening line of Neuromancer - but on the other hand, it has a strain of humor lacking from a lot of the other seminal cyberpunk novels. It also came out towards the latter days of cyberpunk; I was already in college by the time it came out.
    I haven't given it a read in years; I'll probably pick it up next time I'm at the library. It would be a nice antidote to crappy SW novels.

15. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Snow Crash is bad please stop bringing it up to make fun of something worse.

16. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So should I get tickets for this or no?

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    have you always wanted to see pac-man kiss rambo? then yes.

CT-867-5309, Ender Sai and Ramza like this.
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Here are your options:
    1) YOU liked the book and looked forward to the movie ever since Cline and Spielberg made the announcement about it. - You'll buy the tickets
    2) You're influenced by what others have to say about how bad the movie is going to be because THEY didn't like the novel - You won't buy the tickets
    3) You'll be patient and WAIT UNTIL AFTER THE MOVIE IS RELEASED before taking anyone's opinions on it for granted - Undecided

19. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    1) I have not read the book.
    2) I haven't read other's opinion on the novel
    3) I kind of want to see the movie out of curiosity, the reviews of the movie just seem meh

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The book is not good, and the trailers do not look good to me. It would have to have really amazing word of mouth/spousal arm twisting to have me pay to see this. It feels like back of the seat material.

21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    So in other words, you've created a fourth option: You're curious to see what all the hype is about. I guess that could go with "undecided".

That's how I feel about almost every superhero movie that's been released in the past decade; especially the re-re-remakes like Spiderman and Batman.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  22. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    The trailers had intrigued me and it comes out on a Wednesday so since I have (Good) Friday off, maybe I work from home Thursday and take the wife on a date night at The Movie Tavern. And tickets purchased.

Next advance ticket purchase - Avengers Infinity War followed by Solo. (Not Deadpool 2 - gonna be out of town)

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I honestly don't see the point, no matter how much you may be excited about an upcoming movie, to buy advanced tickets. It's not like the movie will be sold out forever.

24. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I buy advanced tickets because I can reserve my seat. I like having a guaranteed good seat without having to show up 30-45 minutes before the movie and having a jacket save it while I go to the bathroom or get concessions. (Side note: Movie Tavern serves you at your seat so don't have to get there early to purchase concessions either.)

So in the words of Abe Lincoln, "**** these previews and start the show!"

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    To pick your seat and go to the showing you want to go to? Pre-planning?