main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Ready Player One- book and film discussion thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Oh I have that too in theaters near me. Maybe I should rephrase what I said before. I meant to say why buy tickets weeks, if not months, in advance of a showing? No matter how popular a movie may be near me, chances are pretty good that I'm able to secure good seats within the middle of the theater as soon as a week in advance of the showing. During the holidays like Christmas and New Years it might be difficult; but during a normal weekend it's not really an issue.

2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Why wait a week when I can assure I get good seats now? The price isn't going to change. I get peace of mind today.

[​IMG]

3. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Do you always look to see movies during opening weekend?

4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Yes, that's usually the only time I go is opening weekend. I want to see if before it's spoiled.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    No it doesn't. People think the sky being the colour of a television tuned to a dead channel means static, but that's what CRTs did when tuned to no channel. The intent was - having seen and lived neon-infused Asian skies at night I can confirm it - a warm blackness, where there was a faint glow to it. That kind of partially, almost backlit darkness:

[​IMG]
    Like that.

But the reason I compare the two is that the plot is similarlly around the virtual world being a counterpart, running in parrallel, to the real world and influencing it directly. In Snow Crash, it's because of a premise that involves Babylonian ur-language being itself a virus and that virus being able to be transmitted through the Metaverse to cause fatal brain damage.

Stephenson would return to the theme of the virtual world intersecting with the real world in REAMDE, which is also a better novel.

I agree on the humour, but honestly what makes Snow Crash the better choice was how oddly prescient it is with respect of the anarcho-capitalism that makes up the day to day life in the United States. There's an element of hyperbole to everything, of course, but if you compare American 2018 to the story, it feels like the current trajectory is uninterrupted. And people aren't stuck on 2004 L3375p34k.

And frankly, Hiro Protagonist is the best name for a laconic cyberpunk antihero yet.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I've seen each of the last three SW movies during opening weekend, and I managed to buy a good ticket within a week or so.

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    And the good seats for big films sell out near me at the cinemas I like to go to on opening weekend. I really don’t see the point of this anecdotal evidence, or a reason not to buy in advance.

Ender Sai likes this.
  8. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Yeah. You can feel free to continue posting about why no one should see RPO because you didn't like the novel.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Don't get defensive, Ernest.

Ender Sai likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's not suprising you like both Ashoka Tano and RPO. The rich depth of character in both is the glue that binds them.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    As if I care at this point if someone doesn't like a character I do. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. It is YOUR OPINION that she doesn't have a rich depth of character; just as it's YOUR OPINION that RPO is a bad movie with bad characters.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    seems like you care.

Diggy and Ender Sai like this.
  13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I really don't.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's ok to admit you do.

EDIT: Also, since adaptations are adapting the source material (wasn't just a cute name after all), and I've continually referenced the book, maybe you should revise your assumption that I'm critiquing the film.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    But I don't. You can call it morbid fascination that this particular thread is as popular as it is; considering most of the people posting in it don't like the novel.

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I think you care a little too much.

17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Stephenson wrote in a later essay "When the computer crashed and wrote gibberish into the bitmap, the result was something that looked vaguely like static on a broken television set—a 'snow crash' "
    As for Gibson, here's what he said about it:
    "I actually composed that first image with black and white video static of my childhood in mind, sodium silvery and almost painful, a whopping anachronism right at the very start of my career,in the imaginary future, but an invisible one, interestingly. One that revels a particular grace shared by all imaginary futures as they make their way up the timeline and into the real future where we all must go. The reader never stopped to think that I must have been thinking, however unconsciously, of the texture and color of a signal free channel on a wooden cabinet motorola with fabric covered speakers. Readers compensated for me shouldering an additional share of the imaginative burden and imagined whatever they assumed was the color of static to take on a melancholy of the phrase dead channel."

I believe that the creators of Max Headroom indicated that the show always opening with static as an homage to Neuromancer.

True; Gibson didn't really address a lot of the social ramifications of the Matrix in the Sprawl trilogy, although it was stated that it was extensively used in Neuromancer - but on an individual level, he did put on stage the idea of 'living forever' in virtual reality.
    In many ways, Snow Crash seemed both a homage and a parody of the original batch of cyberpunk novels, which had already run their course by the time it came out... and needed to be parodied, with Bruce Sterling declaring everything to be "[blank]-punk". (my favorite definition: "Nowpunk is a term invented by Bruce Sterling, which he applied to contemporary fiction set in the time period (particularly in the post-Cold War 1990s to the present) in which the fiction is being published, i.e. all contemporary fiction." [face_laugh])

Well, the book was set in 1998...

I'm not disputing that! :p

18. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Also, Ender Sigh, what you showed a picture of isn't a "warm blackness." It's just a bunch of light pollution in a heavily developed area.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Right, but that kind of sky is not common in Asia, especially China/Japan, and during summer they're humid as all get out. Unless you've experienced a humid Asian city at night you won't necessarily get it - and Neuromancer definitely describes Chiba as warm. It "only" gets to around 80% humidity in summer there (as opposed to >95% in Singapore) but still - the impression I get now of that opening line is very defined by the warmth of the night sky in Asia.

21. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I've never watched a meme die in front of my eyes.

Luke02 likes this.
  22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    you seem upset. Want to discuss?

23. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    This isn't even about Ready Player One.

It's about an improperly used meme format that's crossed over from Reddit to here.

When memes intrude into the JCC, you know they're dead.

blackmyron likes this.
  24. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    SELL SELL SELL

Outsourced likes this.
  25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018