main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Ready Player One- book and film discussion thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    If it were an Ernest RPO thread, it wouldn't have any original content, just reference after reference to other threads.

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    *Insert Ender Sai saying something inflammatory in the politics thread*

Ender Sai and Diggy like this.
  3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Did I get that reference? You bet your ass I did.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    you totally clined that, dp.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

I actually do though. Every time I watch it, I feel unrestrained joy. Seeing Chewie heartbroken, albeit for a moment, after Han's passing still gets me. I'm wholly sucked in, and on top of that I'm glad that whilst it will never have the magical thrall the OT has on me, it'll be the Star Wars for my daughter's generation.

But I've probably watched TFA 40, 50 times - that's right, as many as Bowen at the cinema - since it came out. More than Rogue One. I enjoy it more than R1, and find it incredibly rewatchable in a way the prequels never were.

Let me give you some final context - my wallpaper at work changes all the time, but my wallpaper at home has been this since 2015:

[​IMG]

I have the BB8 from the Rey black series affixed to my monitor stand, and of the 4 Funko Pop! Vinyls I have on display I have Rey TFA, Rey TLJ, Deckard and James Hetfield. I think it's fair to say I enjoyed TFA mate.

Outsourced and Coruscant like this.
  7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    But this is irrelevant, CT. Nobody is arguing that nostalgia has no place. Ironically, one of the best speeches about the effect of nostalgia comes from a show predicated on nostalgia:

"Well, technology is a glittering lure. But there's the rare occasion when the public can be engaged on a level beyond flash, if they have a sentimental bond with the product. My first job, I was in-house at a fur company, with this old pro copywriter. Greek, named Teddy. And Teddy told me the most important idea in advertising is "new". Creates an itch. You simply put your product in there as a kind of... calamine lotion. But he also talked about a deeper bond with the product: nostalgia. It's delicate... but potent. Teddy told me that in Greek, "nostalgia" literally means, "the pain from an old wound". It's a twinge in your heart, far more powerful than memory alone. This device isn't a spaceship. It's a time machine. It goes backwards, forwards. It takes us to a place where we ache to go again. It's not called the Wheel. It's called a Carousel. It lets us travel the way a child travels. Around and around, and back home again... to a place where we know we are loved. "

Note, how nostalgia in 1959 is a "rare" moment of engagement? Today, it's the main mode of engagement and probably because the glittering lure of technology has snagged so many of us.

But if you draw a comparison between the way in which Cline indelicates rams nostalgia at you, it's like Battlefront and microtransactions. They existed, people tolerated them, until someone made it the purpose and backbone of an experience. It's not about the "I know that!" moment any longer, it's a competitive pissing contest to see if you know at least as much as, or heaven forbid, more than Cline does. The nostalgia is no longer about engaging with the audience on a sentimental level, which Stranger Things and The Force Awakens do (and let's be honest, like Indiana Jones and the original Star Wars trilogy did too); the nostalgia is about nostalgia. "Hey, remember Steve Urkel? Remember Family Ties? Remember Airwolf? Remember MASK? Remember the Six Million Dollar Man? Remember Bill Hicks? Remember Bad Brains...?"

Outsourced likes this.
  8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Can you explain this for me in ten words or less or do I really need to slog through all those posts arguing about TFA on the last page?

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Ready JC One using references to all of your previous (and other famous) threads and catalogs...

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, yes, back in the glory days. What about Ready Debo One?

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

That works; Ready JC One was more of a working title...

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Diggy likes this.
  13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Ender would never take such liberties with the word "genocide".

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Also literally tonnes of people hate its cheap awfulness, dp4m. You should be one of them, but then again, you do like the now-dead Legends stuff, so...

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Ready Player One hit all the right notes for me because it wasn't a by-the-numbers "hey, remember <blank>" - it was my nostalgia. Playing D&D and Zork, hitting the arcade, watching Star Wars, reading LOTR... that isn't really a 'broad appeal' approach to the late 70s/early 80s. I'm not even sure why TFA is even brought up in any comparison here.

Ahsoka's Tano and VadersLaMent like this.
  16. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
  17. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Fantastic trailer, I had a tear in my eye with 'Pure Imagination' playing

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Erm, but anyone to whom nostalgia appeals has found "their nostalgia." That's an entirely reflexive definition.

It's like being convinced that a psychic is real because they said "someone recently lost their mother" while you were in the crowd after having recently buried your mother. The culprit is just yelling into the darkness with a broad, lazy generalization that's statistically bound to hit someone.

Boba Nekhbet likes this.