main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Real Groovy maybe disappearing?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kitt327, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    man, looks like Real Groovy might be vanishing. Sad news.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10537688

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    If it does go, that would be an absolute tragedy. Hopefully they can find a new owner, rather than shut them down. :(

3. Norrad_Roff

Norrad_Roff Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2001
    Bummer for them. SALE TIME for us maybe???

4. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    Went in there last night. They're still operating, but not buying in any second hand stuff, and not accepting vouchers or credit notes.

I have mixed feelings about this ... Real Groovy needed to seriously re-think their business model a few years back, and I think they adapted to market changes very poorly. I kinda hate how expensive they were, especially given how stingy they'd become recently in terms of trades (I took 17 near-new CDs in the other day, and got offered $68 trade or $34 cash) and feel like they really needed to re-think their business model. Selling new releases for $34.95 and second hand CDs for $25.95 when places like JB were selling the same albums for $22.99 was never going to work, was it? Apparently for the last month or, since they stopped paying their bills, Groovy staff had been going down to JB and *buying* their new releases and taking them back up the road and adding $12 to the price and re-selling them.

All this being said, obviously I'm really sad. I have literally spent thousands of dollars (actually, possibly much more ... I hate to think) there since the early 90s, and I can't really imagine an Auckland without Real Groovy. Also, where do you go to sell stuff now, other than TradeMe?

5. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Also, if they shut down it will be a *lot* harder to find rare / promo singles, which is one of the things I sort of collect.

Are there any other 2nd hand record places in Auckland at all? The ones on K Rd I used to frequent are long gone.

6. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    It's back, baby.

7. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.