main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social [Real Life Geekery] RPF Meet Up Thread - London September 2011?

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by DarthXan318, Nov 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    As some of you already know, I've been trying to organise a RPF meetup for when I visit London. :D

I've been contacting people over PM thus far (hi, guys!) but as this approach is both tedious and might result in some people being left out, I'm creating a thread for it. It's just temporary to set up the event itself (and maybe to post pics afterwards, if everyone agrees), after which it will be locked.

Thus -
    The date is Sunday 29 November
    The time is 12 Noon
    The place is Leicester Square Tube Station, with plans to meander over to Forbidden Planet after (maps here and here)

The people so far are (feel free to add yourself to this list if you can make it!)
    - Fins
    - Sinre
    - Sith-I-5
    - Wing
    - Xany
    - darthhelinith

So ... what say you, guys?

2. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Taaaaaake picccctures!

-I_H

3. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    So, I think I´ll make it, actually . . . :D

4. Hero_Of_The_Force

Hero_Of_The_Force Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2008
    Yes, please do. :D

I want a written report on what occured there too. Thank you. :rolleyes:

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I can confirm I'll be coming, incidentally.

I've been suggesting we visit Collectormania, but tickets for that must be paid for, and in all likelihood it will be ridiculously swamped on the day, so I might suggest we take a merry jaunt to Leicester Square, to a little shop called 'Forbidden Planet' which is a sci-fi/fantasy shop that will likely appeal to everyone if/when we run out of things to talk about. :p. There are also half a dozen second hand book shops in the area, and plenty of places to sit and eat and chat too.

See here for where I mean...

http://forbiddenplanet.com/stores/

The Shaftsbury avenue store is relatively easy to find from Leicester Square station... a better map being here, scrolling down.

http://www.londontown.com/LondonInformation/Shopping/Forbidden_Planet_Megastore/5d6c/#MAP

If we want to wander around, we certainly have the freedom to, as well.

Thoughts?

6. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm almost certainly coming, but I can't put a cast-iron guarantee on that just yet.

And...

[face_love] Forbidden Planet

Seriously, if it wasn't for their Glasgow branch, I would never have been able to read KOTOR or Legacy without waiting for the TPBs. I owe them my custom. :p

7. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Excellent! That makes five of us - Sithy hasn't posted yet, but I presume he's still in.

Anyway, sci-fi/fantasy store! I like the idea of Forbidden Planet. :D I think that's actually reasonably near my brother's place (where I'll be crashing for the duration) so that works out fine for me that way too. :D

8. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    *wants to go very badly!*

i'm with imp. pictures MUST BE TAKEN!

9. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Darn it, if only I wasn't at University in Wales...:_|
    It would be so easy to meet up with you guys- I live inside the M25!!

Unless I can somehow come home that weekend...[face_thinking]

10. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Oh, I am still in, alright.

Thing is, I am not the most punctual person this side of the Galactic Centre, so having a place that I can catch up with you guys is more important to me, than the initial meeting point - I don't want people waiting on me and getting annoyed.

Visiting Forbidden Planet is a great idea, however. Just a shame there are no seats down there. :(

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    True, Sithy. But, I believe there should be plenty places for us to settle down and have a chat. A couple of pubs, a Pizza Hut, I recall etc, etc. We could meet at one of the stations, methinks, and wander from there.

*shrugs*

I'm not this organised offline. I'll arrive a day late. :p

12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    There used to be a nice pub across the road from FP - my other SW group used to use it on meetups, but I think it got closed.

There is still a Pizza Hut at the end of the road.

Links to this thread have been PMed to Jerjerodd-Lennox and Livi-Wan.

Darthelinith, this Welsh university. Where in Wales?

13. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Last I spoke to Livi she said she was in Wales too and couldn't come. :(

But if you can come down for the weekend, Helinith, do! :D We've already got Wing maybe (*cough*definitely*cough*) coming down from Scotland... :D :D

14. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm directly on the train line to London, so I'll be fine either way. :D

15. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I´ll be in London, somewhere and will have to find my way. Anyway. Do we have a time, yet? And does anybody know cheap motels, pensions or youth-hostels or something? I might be able to get one or two additional Panzers to that meeting. But they need some place to stay, which is under 80? a night. Any idea?

Sirak and Draco would appreciate it, I am sure. ;)

16. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    Indeed, we will probably be surprise guests!!! My sister to a higher degree of probablity than me, though. [face_peace]

17. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    For he iiis aaann Eeeeengllissh-maaaan!
    Heeee's ... an EEEEEeeeeeeeeeenglishmaaaaaaaaaaan!

(Sorry, just had to put that in there.)

Also, mark me down for the Meet Up. :D
    In spirit. :(

18. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Bangor. Woop Woop!

I could probably make it, but I need to find out wether my family have moved house yet, cause if they haven't then it'll need to be a day return.
    Having a lecture 4pm on the Friday and 10am on the Monday doesn't do much in my favour either.

So I won't make any promises untill I know the state of my family that weekend.
    But if all goes well, I might actually be able to make it.
    *is impressed*

EDIT: Navigating around London is pretty easy for me; I've practically grown up there. But I'll need directions to where we'll be meeting up.

Memo to self- Pocket A to Z. (Buy. Guard with life.) Also; Camera, money, lightsaber, sonic screwdriver, Imperial March, sketch book (for train journey) notebook (for any sudden fan fiction insipiration), money, keys, phone (remember to CHARGE)...ect ect ect...

19. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Time: Say noon, and make it a lunch meeting? I think this depends mostly on those coming in from elsewhere, though, I don't want to make you guys wake up for some 4am train to be in London in time, or something. :p

Fins - I don't know any, sorry. :( Usually I would've searched up all the cheap hotels but I'm staying with my brother.

20. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Likewise! Don't worry, Saint, one day there will be a Commonwealth RPF Meet-up, where all us randoms from former colonies will meet up.

21. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I can't think of anywhere that cheap...

Travelodge would be the best, methinks. Need to look on that website, methinks.

Though the temptation to drag you all back to mine and just put you up myself. :p

22. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    There's Forbidden Planet branches in London? Awesome.

23. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Travelodge looks good. I found this one through Google, as an alternative.

http://www.smartbackpackers.com/

Memo to self- Pocket A to Z. (Buy. Guard with life.) Also; Camera, money, lightsaber, sonic screwdriver, Imperial March, sketch book (for train journey) notebook (for any sudden fan fiction insipiration), money, keys, phone (remember to CHARGE)...ect ect ect...

Wow, that takes me back. I used to plan trips like that in my younger days. :) Sooo, how do you carry the Imperial March, darthelinith?

24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    An Imperial calendar, mayhaps?

25. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Fixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.