main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'Real life' in EU debate

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Isildurs_Bane, Mar 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isildurs_Bane

Isildurs_Bane Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2002
    I know of someone who dosen't like SW because the EU is "unrealistic." He says that out of all the couples, there should have been at least one divorce, and that in a technologically advanced society, there should be abortions. A marriage between two war heroes would never last 22-years, and any pregnant woman with a life-threatning molecular disorder would certainly abort her baby, especially in the middle of a war. He also wonders why there are no mentioned suicides.

I was appalled when I heard him. Besides the fact that his comments are stupid, I say that SW is fictional and it was never meant to be so "realistic." Besides, these "real life" things would just be cheap and boring. What if Han and Leia simply decided to divorce after their separation? What if Mara decided there was no hope and aborted Ben?

It would be stupid, right? Things have really changed since 1977. What do you think?

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, with the knowledge of two marriages having occured for han and leia according to continuity sources, the idea of an annullment is banded around on the unofficial level. As well han and leia did have some marrital troubles in NJO for a bit.

As well in crispen's books it talks about how bria and her red hand squadron had poison pellots on there uniforms to take if they got captured to commit suicide.

3. Isildurs_Bane

Isildurs_Bane Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2002
    Mmm. I still think I'm right [face_devil]

4. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Well an annullment unlike a divorce is a legal nullification of a marriage, where law states that the marriage never took place officially.

Whereas a divorce is a legal break of a official marriage, and the previous marriage is still considered to have happened by law.

5. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I feel very, very sorry for yor friend.

TC

6. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Yeah, and next week Hector will get drunk and kill Agammemnon after a wicked rave. Then Zeus will run off together with his brother Neptune and leave Helena to pay the bills and take care of the kids... ;)

Newsflash, SW is epic fantasy. It's not supposed to be realistic it's supposed to be hightech myth. The chosen one, the last hope, the force, all is tied closely to myth. It's not like Beowulf is going to be beatin by his abusive father for getting bad grades. :D

7. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    And even barring that, there *are* decent people in the world. Does your friend really think that little of people?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.