main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Real Life Is Harsh and Gritty. Fantasy Should Be Too: The Glen Cook Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by _Vengeance_, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    In this thread let us discuss the many works of the probably the biggest underdog in Fantasy Fiction, dear old Glen Cook!

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ab/2004demicomglencook.jpg]
    [image=http://black.jnm.ru/images/covers/01_bc_e2.jpg]
    [image=http://g-images.amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/76/19/ca0492c008a0802b87fd4010.L.jpg]

For those of you who aren't very well acquainted with him, or haven't seen one of my occasional plugs for him elsewhere on the forums, Glen writes arguably the most human and "realistic" (in characters and plot) stories out there, in which there are hardly any real "good guys", and there is definitely no prince and damsel riding a dragon into the sunset at the end of each novel. But somehow because of that you are drawn in and at the edge of the seat with your heart screaming out for the characters all along.

Everything that your typical over-the-top-cover Fantasy book is, Glen's books are not, and I would definitely suggest that every reader of fantasy novels looks into reading either The Black Company, Sweet Silver Blues, or The Tower of Fear. The first two being the first novels of his two most well known series, The Black Company and the Garrett Series. I add these first paragraphs here because he is such a little known author and I really think most people would enjoy his novels immensely. That and I have to quietly bash on all the other fantasy books on the shelves too and SOMEHOW convince people to get out there and read his brilliant books, haha.

If you HAVE read any of his books, first off, high five! Not many people can boast to having read anything by Glen. Let this be a place where we can enjoy the company of other readers, discuss the stories, characters, speculate on up and coming books, and everything that goes into such threads.

To start, I'd like to ask anyone's opinion on his newest release, The Tyranny of the Night, which is a part of his new series titled The Instrumentalities of the Night. At first I was worried the whole book would be like the first 30 or 40, but once the rather lengthy exposition had finished and I started to get into the actual storyline, I was very grateful for the slow beginning. The scope of the book is just so massive that I don't think it would have worked any other way. All in all, I liked it a lot. The ending left quite a few people just dangling around, and the nasty deity beast that Svavar became really reminded me of The Limper and Toadkiller Dog from The Black Company series. Mayhaps there will be a connection in the second book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.