main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Real Life Jedi

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Dondré Richardson, Jul 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dondré Richardson

Dondré Richardson Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2015
    I had this strangely odd dream yesterday of real life Jedi. I spent all day wondering, what if? If there were real life Jedi, how would they act, how would they train, what is the code that they must live by, where would they all reside, etc.

A lot of the Star Wars community participates on forums like this one, social media outlets, and other places like comic con. But, what if there were real life Jedi? Not just people dressing in costumes pretending to be a Jedi. Instead of reading and watching what the life of a Jedi is, is it crazy of me to wonder if a life, that of a Jedi, is achievable in real life?

I was under the impression that the life of a Jedi was a hard life to live. From "unlearning what they have already learned", to leaving ones family and possibly never seeing them again, to the countless hours of meditation and training, a Jedi's life is far from easy.

I've fantasized about this question ever since, picturing a real Jedi temple, a Jedi council, the training it takes to become a Jedi, and so forth. Some may see Star Wars as fiction, but, call me crazy, there is an underlying message within these stories. It's not about the laser swords or telekinetic abilities, but what it all represents.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Am I crazy or are there others that have pondered the same thoughts?

Thanks for reading. I'm hoping for a good discussion.

S2N2 and TrustyTrooper like this.
  2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    A lot of philosophies within martial arts and military special operations units have similar rhetoric to their way of life.

3. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Retagging from Social thread to SWC.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  4. Dondré Richardson

Jun 25, 2015
    True indeed. But do you think it would be an interesting way to live. You can see a lot of similarities to the life of Jedi to the life of a monk who live in a monastery high atop a mountain. The meditation and the training to perfect their art as a group is something that really intrigued me.

5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I think Jedi's would not be able to function in RL as they do in the SW Universe. Too much religion and politics would drive them underground. For instance, imagine a devout religious person having to accept that certain humans wield "god-like" powers.

6. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    The earth would quickly be engulfed by the darkside. Greed, anger and fear are widespread these days

TrustyTrooper likes this.
  7. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Bazinga'd: they would probably do the "mind trick" on weak minded politicians or something :p

8. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Then they would be Sith and not Jedi, me thinks.

9. Dondré Richardson

Jun 25, 2015
    I partially agree, in todays society their is a lot of greed and fear mainly because that's the way most of us have been programmed to think. And Bazinga'd, I do think that it would be quite the task for Jedi to exist in real life mainly because of the issue of "greed and fear," but, that's where the "unlearn what you have already learned" idea comes into play. I think that if we grasped that concept it would be a much easier transition than we would expect.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I think the Jedi would be accepted openly as they would be too useful for exactly what they were doing in the films, peacekeeping.

11. Dondré Richardson

Jun 25, 2015
    Perfectly said. The one mistake that I believe the Jedi made, however, was their involvement in political affairs.

12. Dondré Richardson

Jun 25, 2015
    How do you think they would make their presence known to others? And what would their job be?

13. Dondré Richardson

Jun 25, 2015
    Abbiegalie It was fun discussing "what makes a jedi powerful" and I'm interested in hearing what you could add to this conversation.

14. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    As someone above suggested, the Jedi, from a Prequel point of view were like the Navy Seals.
    When the S hits the Fan, send in the Jedi.

They'd be rescuing hostages from the Embassy in Iran. Capturing Osama Bin Laden. Maybe being more James Bond in undercover operations to prevent nukes falling into the wrong hands. In day to day life, they'd dress in regular civilian clothes, but they'd don the brown robes for their clandestine missions. With modern comms, GPS etc.
    Lightsabers would be out of course. I wonder if they would be brave enough to go on missions armed purely with a conventional steel sword? Avoiding machinegun fire as they stealthily ninja their way into the enemy camp at night.

15. Abbiegalie

Abbiegalie Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 27, 2015
    I've thought about this before, it's interesting trying to see how Star Wars can be real.
    In a way I kind of think how would they be Jedi without the force? But then Jedi are more than just the force, it's their principles, really, that shape them. Humans too can have these principles. What it takes to be a jedi is to have the heart and spirit of the jedi. That's what makes them most unique. Real life Jedi would have to be selfless, and courageous and peacekeepers of some sort. I think their training would also need to teach them to be emotionally stable and be wise, because that's important in Jedi.

Star Wars isn't all just fiction, the worlds and technology may be so, but the philosophies in the stories aren't, the Sith and Jedi are like good and evil. Corruption, anger, fear, betrayal, and redemption even, to an extent, the dark side are all things that exist in our universe just like in the stories.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Jedi come off to me as mercenaries.

17. Dondré Richardson

Jun 25, 2015
    I apologize for the inactivity as of late. I thank all who have participate, in what I think, is a very interesting discussion. I hope to the opinions and the views of my fellow members.

5:30 Eastern Time, I will be posting an extensive viewpoint in this topic. In doing this, I hope to advance the conversation.

18. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Please do not unnecessarily bump this (or any other thread) thread just to announce that you will be making a post. Either post something related to the topic matter, or don't post at all.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  19. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    I have sometimes think about it. And if we look at some of the religions today, e.g.: the catholics, many of the things they do as the catholics are very similar to what the Jedi believes in. For instance, the nuns can't get married and have any kind of relationship beside the relationship they have with Jesus. Another example is the munks, they aren't wealthy and they live a simple life with meditation, just like the Jedi.

The only differance, I think, is that both the nuns and the munks don't have super powers. :p

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. Abbiegalie

Abbiegalie Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 27, 2015
    Yeah. I wish the force was real, my daily life would so much more easier...*cough* ...not to say, that I would use it for personal reasons, or anything.. of course...[face_batting]

21. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    You won't be only person to do that, my friend. :p [face_batting]O:)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.