main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Real quick After Effects question

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by braxtanFILM, Feb 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. braxtanFILM

braxtanFILM Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    After I put the effects into an AVI stream, the output video seems a bit more pixelated. Anyone else have this problem? Also, there's a slight audio hum. Obviously I'm outputting the wrong parameters. What are the best parameters to output AVI/DV footage?

2. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    Most of us here use the Sorenson Video 3 Compression, AVI has always been a problem for me and possibly many others. DV is awesome but takes up a lot of space. Sorenson gives you better quality video at half the size. As for audio...I don't recommend you use audio with After Effects. Best use Preimere for audio editing not After Effects.

3. Jedi_Spiff

Jedi_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    output video seems a bit more pixelated.

It's not an de-interlacing artifact, is it? Aside from compression problems, or re-compressing the DV, de-interlacing is my best guess. Even if you run a progressive capture mode, one of the default AE settings is to deinterlace.

If it's a compression problem, get Huffy and export everything without compression until you're ready to do so.

-Spiff

4. braxtanFILM

Dec 7, 2003
    I know, but I really want it output in AVI, so I can edit everything that way.

That Huffy thing seems a bit strange...you use it a lot?

Anyway, the audio isn't a problem, I'm just wondering why the image isn't as sharp once I export a video from After Effects...

5. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    I told you AVI video blows! I use to use it a while back but I was taught the Sorenson Video3 compression. Now my vids looks better.

6. braxtanFILM

Dec 7, 2003
    Thanks a lot Juan, it's just hard to believe that sorenson looks better and is half the size! It's like Diet Dr. Pepper tasting just like regular Dr. Pepper! Or Amstel light tastes BETTER than Michelob ultra, but with half the calories!

7. Jedi_Spiff

Jul 2, 2003
    That Huffy thing seems a bit strange...you use it a lot?

I have my whole movie encoded by Huffy on my hard drive. Basically, the CODEC is lossless - so it doesn't throw away ANY information. I use it if I'm trying to make pieces of stuff.

In fact, when I start up a new Premiere Project, I change all the settings to Huffy as well, so that when transitions, etc. are rendered, there is no loss in quality associated with DV compression. I do this so that when I export to something else (i.e. MPEG-2), that it has the cleanest possible source to work with.

If you want to save time, and HD space, simply do all the work in a DV project, then start up a Huffy project and importing the DV one. Works like a charm.

Has nothing to do with your problem though.

Anyhoo - if it is a de-interlacing artifact, you'll notice that the pixelation is in the vertical dimension only.

-Spiff

8. Art_Vandalet

Art_Vandalet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 23, 2002
    Also, it may be that your Composition layers are all in "Draft" mode. Check to make sure all your layers are "Best" for quality and that might fix it right up

9. Black_Chameleon

Black_Chameleon Jedi Master star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    I actually have the exact same problem with using after effects, pixelation. If you export in sorenson, isn't that going to make the video quality worse if you need to edit it several times? I just mean I export my avi files from AE then input them into a different program to do sounds, then export it from that as avi and then compress. You know what I mean?

10. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    Well that's just me...I like to edit my stuff in one shot in AE...works out really well for me. Then I import it to Premiere for sounds then export again...avi just doesn't work for me...it's way too pixelated

EDIT: I understand now...thanks spiff

11. Jedi_Spiff

Jul 2, 2003
    avi just doesn't work for me...it's way too pixelated

AVI doesn't mean anything... it's just the file extension. An AVI file can be encoded with almost any codec - just like MOV can be Sorenson, MPEG-4, and a whole host of others, similarly AVI can be DivX, Xvid, Cinepak, DV, Huffy, Completely uncompressed, etc.

Likely, your exported AVI's are on the default intel or Cinepak codec. Switch it to "none" "Huffy" or "DV" and you'll see a big difference.

WRT above - it could be Quality settings...

-Spiff

12. braxtanFILM

Dec 7, 2003
    It's put out in DV/NTSC PRO, best quality, 29.97 frames per second...still get the pixels.

Also, it shouldn't matter if it's draft mode or best mode. That's only for working on it, right?

13. dvcameraworld

dvcameraworld Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2004
    hi guys, I have adobes after effects 6 pro with the keylight plugin. Ive decided to use combustion 3 instead. so if any of you guys are interested email me at dvcameraworld@yahoo.com , im not sure how much I want for it but its been registered so $400us may sound like a good price but I am open to a sugested price. if you are interested contact me, shipping will be free cause it isnt that heavey to send threw the post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.